carvin29

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, bumpy, or choppy, decide? ;)

For choppy, like cut up pow, or slushy mess, I'd say Tanker. The sheer size of it smoots out the things for you and it has a mile wide sweet spot. Keep it on the edge and it would cut through the most of the stuff that bounces the others around.

Then later in the day, when the things start to form into the real moguls, Tanker stops being fun on the steeper stuff.

Steepwater would be a bit more versatile - not as big as the Tanker, it would ride steep bumps better, while still having the slice-through power for smaller stuff. Compromise you'd make is less smooth ride when you want to open it up on medium and flatter runs.

I'm on my 4th season with my Burton T6, I love it but it beats the crap out of me in choppy snow. What freeride decks would you guys suggest for a fast, damp ride?

You have nearly exactly my old setup. I loved my T6 156 with CO2 bindings. ...that is until I rode the Rossignol JDub 154 last year and was blown away. It's not as stiff as the T6. It has a decent balance between lively-ness and damp-ness.

In addition, the Magnetraction lets the board be really short (and thusly very quick turning and responsive), while still holding its edge really well. On my JDub, I have been able to do about 270° worth of a 360° carve. I wasn't able to do that on my T6. ...and the Magnetraction has the other advantage that you don't have to be as much of a stickler about edge tuning to still hold an edge on the hardest of icy snow.

I demo'd 15+ boards in my search for the ultimate freeride machine. The only board I liked nearly as much as the JDub was a Never Summer. The NS was even more damp than the JDub, but NS doesn't do Magnetraction.

I'm 170 pounds, which means I'm at the high end of the weight range on the JDub 154, but the 158 just didn't feel right for me. The 154 is just the coolest riding board. I can't say enough good things about it.

Are you riding it with hardboots? It might be the boots and bindings instead of the board.I found I had to go back to soft boots to enjoy riding choppy snow again. Even with a soft flexing board DuprazD1 I was getting a rough ride with flexible bail bindings and bts on the boots.

The harshness is definitely from the T6. The T6 has a hybrid core of wood and aluminum honeycomb. It's wicked stiff (at least for a freeride board) and has almost zero damping.

Here are the boards I would check out. You going to have to figure out what length you want. (not in any particular order)

Tankers (they make a 167)

Steepwaters

Jones Flagship

Rossignol Experience

Venture storm

That is off the top of my head. I tend to lean toward the big mountain boards.

You might want to look at the Donek Incline. Comes in any width you want and flex tailored to your weight. Designed to ride all mountain and carve. Is even suitable for BX. A lot of guys ride them with hardboots as well as softboots also. Sounds like a great all around board to do about anything. I've got one on order myself.

164 or 165 has always felt like the perfect size, with a 26 cm waist. I could go up to a 168 or so but nothing shorter, feels too small. I'm wary of rockered boards because I worry how it affects carving performance.

Rossi makes the Experience in a 164/26, really neat board.

It has a decambered nose and magnetraction. I believe the sidecut is 9.6M so it should be a nice carver. It still has camber.

I will second the incline. Nice boards. Plus Sean is good to us.

I'm wary of rockered boards because I worry how it affects carving performance.

If you get the correct rocker profile it won't affect its carving. You want one that places the full contact edge on the snow (or shop floor) as soon as you tip it on edge.

At least find a board that has a decambered nose and tail. Old school cambered boards where the camber extends to the widest point of the nose and tail are harder to ride in chopped up snow. The nose camber bounces hard off the crud and the tail catches a lot more during the turn (for the pivoted turns). Rocker will absolutely smooth the ride.

Tanker 172 as it turns tighter than you would expect for its specs, or possibly a Prior MFR hybrid rocker (but I have not tried it).

Short list:

Never Summer Titan - sick board, very damp, 5mm taper, 10m sidecut, really sick board (i said that twice)

Prior MFR - haven't ridden it yet... but it's on my list

Winterstick ST - heard only good things, supposed to be sick boards, ditto to above. on my list

Arbor Crossbow - if you can find one... they're damp, but have pop too. slight taper in the older models, '07 or so, and a larger sidecut. the more recent models (they stopped making them in '09 i think) have a deeper sidecut and no taper and don't ride as nice imo.

K2 Ambush - if you can find one, these are crazy sick in just about everything.

I would look for stiffness, a taper, big sidecut, and a nice long nose that flexes a bit to take the chop.