Best freeride board for bumpy snow?

carvin29

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious why you think that a 165 is long for a freeride board? Seems to be on the short end to me for even the mass producing companies line-ups.

cheers.

I've always felt that for freeride boards, a longer one gets you 4 things:

1. More stability at high speed.

2. Better float in powder.

3. Less agility in the bumps because of increased swing weight.

4. A more painful ride up the lift, as that extra weight tugs on your front foot, knee, and ankle.

Remember this is only for freeride boards. Alpine has its own reasons for going longer.

I found that with my old T6 156, There was no need for more stability at high speed. I was nearly unable to overdrive that board when on edge. Yes, it wasn't well damped, so snow conditions limited my top speed more than anything else. With my JDub, I have not been able to scare myself at any speed. It gives tons of confidence and holds its edge extremely well.

They say that Magnetraction makes your edge more effective, so you don't need as long of a board to really lock into the snow. Therefore, point number 1 above has been trumped by stiffness, dampening, and Magnetraction. This is why I don't need a long board for high speed stability.

Just look at skiers who went from riding 210s a few years ago to riding 180 cm shaped skis. The technology allowed great stability with shorter skis. Magnetraction, in my opinion, is another leap in technology that allows even shorter equipment lengths to feel just as stable at speed as the long stuff.

Now, to point number 2 above. I just don't spend a ton of time in the powder. ...and the stamina I've built up from years of riding moguls has let me really lean on my back foot for float when I need to without tiring myself out. Speed helps float as well.

Points 3 and 4 are pretty much no brainers for me. I go as short as I can to minimize 3 and 4, while trying not to compromise at all on 1 and 2.

Sooooo, I don't feel that I need a long board because mine is really stable at speed, and I can handle the compromises in powder.

All of your points are good and I agree with them. In addition to my Tanker 200's, I have a Rossi Jones Experience 168 MW with magnetraction and I am very impressed with the ride except that the nose on it is way too soft, so I have put tinkler snowstix on the nose to stiffen it up. I voiced my concern with Jeremy at SIA when I stopped by the Jones Snowboards booth, and he said that his boards (the Flagship) have a much stiffer nose than the produciton Rossi did so that it should not be an issue. I am looking forward to giving the 168 Flagship a try for next year as the nose rocker combined with magnetraction is a fun ride.

cheers

I have a Rossi Jones Experience 168 MW with magnetraction and I am very impressed with the ride except that the nose on it is way too soft, so I have put tinkler snowstix on the nose to stiffen it up. I voiced my concern with Jeremy at SIA when I stopped by the Jones Snowboards booth, and he said that his boards (the Flagship) have a much stiffer nose than the produciton Rossi did so that it should not be an issue. I am looking forward to giving the 168 Flagship a try for next year as the nose rocker combined with magnetraction is a fun ride.

cheers

Thanks SVR,

That is good to know. I have been thinking about one of these boards. Now I will wait.

All of your points are good and I agree with them. In addition to my Tanker 200's, I have a Rossi Jones Experience 168 MW with magnetraction and I am very impressed with the ride except that the nose on it is way too soft, so I have put tinkler snowstix on the nose to stiffen it up. I voiced my concern with Jeremy at SIA when I stopped by the Jones Snowboards booth, and he said that his boards (the Flagship) have a much stiffer nose than the produciton Rossi did so that it should not be an issue. I am looking forward to giving the 168 Flagship a try for next year as the nose rocker combined with magnetraction is a fun ride.

cheers

SVR I'd been checking out the new Jones boards too. Only downside for me is the rocker but maybe I shouldn't be worried about that?

The new jones boards and the Rossi Experience are both cambered between the feet and rockered in the tip and tail so you get the best of both worlds.

As Buell gave his report on the rockered Tankers, and I have posted before as well as many other discussions on the subject, rocker comes in many different styles and for my style of riding, I like the fully rockered tanker 200 for pretty much all conditions, but I needed a shorter board to ride for tight trees and some of the steeper stuff at Mt Baker, so I decided to give the Jones with magnetraction a try. Other than the soft nose, I really like the way it rides and magnetraction definitely rides different on hard and icy snow. It will not replace my rockered 200's as they rule the day for me, but it is a good addition (with my mod with the tinkler snowstix) to my quiver of boards.

I am looking forward to next years Jones Flagship 168 and on a side note, Jeremy said that they may look into doing a longer board after their first year. Fingers crossed as I would love to see the Flagship in a 175-178.

cheers,

sandy

I will second the incline. Nice boards. Plus Sean is good to us.

I rode an Incline for a while, and really liked it a lot. However, once I got my hands on Donek's Razor, the Incline was almost immediately put up for sale. The Razor carves as well, is more mellow, and eats up crud much better. In my opinion, it's just a easier, more versatile board. If you can swing the extra $130, go with the Razor over the Incline.

+1 on the Prior MFR - I rode a 172W for 3 years and am now on the 176W - traditional camber. Love it. Cant say enough good things about it. As far as chop is concerned, it doesnt hop or feel light, or jump over it - it just plows through it like a freight train. it becomes a non issue. It's real responsive to changing the the binding stance across the inserts to adjust for conditions - if you just set-it-and-forget-it you're missing 75% of it. Crank em' back and its great for backcountry pow, centered for all mountain groom carving, duck out the back a bit when it gets choppy, widen it up a bit for park/pipe....

the only other board that came close was the NS titan TX... but it didnt seem as natural (to me) as the prior.

I'm still waiting to try rocker/camber/decamber versions.

Thanks SVR . The Jones boards definitely do look nice so will be checking em out more seriously, would like to see a review of them too. Also will check out Donek and MFR.

If you want something more freestyle oriented be sure to check out the AMF when looking at the MFR.

That's cool that I was able to relate to you why I enjoy a shorter board (and also cool that you see my points). I still don't know why so many of you like such long freeride boards, though. Could someone indulge me? :confused:

I have a Tanker 187. There are many reason I like it, here are the main ones.

It has an 11.25M sidecut. Really carves some nice arcs.

Here in MN our conditions are kind of variable. With the nice long edge it doesn't react to hard (or soft) spots as fast. I think because the edge pressure is so spread out it tends to float over a lot.

I could go on and on, but they would be things I find in other boards as well.

For being a 187 it is surprisingly agile. When I go out west I usually bring a shorter board for the tight trees and rarely use it.

I am 6'3" and about 200lbs.

For me the extra length provides more stability at speed and better float in the pow (your first two points)and I am really not willing to sacrifice those two things by going to a shorter board, unless I can find one that will allow me to continue to ride the way that I like (which has not happened yet). While longer boards do make terrain choice a little bit more interesting, it does not limit my riding too much. I have been trying new boards and testing out new designs so that i can form an opinion on experience vice just reading about a style so that i can find my dream board, but it is an ongoing process. I am 200+, 5'9", size 28.5 feet and love to ride fast and love riding powder, so longboards fit my style really well. Jones' boards, the new hybrid rocker priors and some of the new bx shapes ride really well and have made me look at some shorter lengths again, but as of today, longboards are still my favorite board of choice.

cheers,

sandy

I have a Tanker 187. There are many reason I like it, here are the main ones.

It has an 11.25M sidecut. Really carves some nice arcs.

Why don't you ride an alpine setup, instead of freeride, for high speed carving?

Here in MN our conditions are kind of variable. With the nice long edge it doesn't react to hard (or soft) spots as fast. I think because the edge pressure is so spread out it tends to float over a lot.

I'm certain that a shorter board with Magnetraction would give you even more confidence on ice. Have you tried a good, stiff Mag in the 160-165 range? I bet a Lib Dark Series (with your choice of camber options) might be right up your alley.

Since I got a Mag board, I literally have stopped trying to discern the condition of the snow in front of me. It just doesn't matter anymore. I haven't encountered any ice that my 154 will wash out on.

Why don't you ride an alpine setup, instead of freeride, for high speed carving?

I do. I just like the surfy-ness of some nice fast arcs in my softies (I am a softboot rider that sometimes rides hardboots than the other way around).

I'm certain that a shorter board with Magnetraction would give you even more confidence on ice. Have you tried a good, stiff Mag in the 160-165 range? I bet a Lib Dark Series (with your choice of camber options) might be right up your alley.
I'm working on that one right now. Shopping as I type this.
Since I got a Mag board, I literally have stopped trying to discern the condition of the snow in front of me. It just doesn't matter anymore. I haven't encountered any ice that my 154 will wash out on.
Yeah, I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Thanks, Sandy, that perfectly sums it up for me.

You definitely have the same judging criteria as I do. I suppose I have tried harder to avoid my points 3 and 4, and have sacrificed a tad on point 2. ...and since I feel very comfortable at speed on my little Mag board, I don't feel that I'm making a compromise on point 1.

200 pounds is enough to flex a lot of board. ...and enough to make a small board no fun in the powder.

Thanks again!

I do. I just like the surfy-ness of some nice fast arcs in my softies (I am a softboot rider that sometimes rides hardboots than the other way around).

I really would like to try a short board with a longer radius sidecut sometime. I'm thinking something around 160cm with a >10m sidecut. Does anyone even make such an animal?

My JDub is a 7.6m, which is very small. However, it really doesn't disappoint me when making drawn-out, high speed carves.

I really would like to try a short board with a longer radius sidecut sometime. I'm thinking something around 160cm with a >10m sidecut. Does anyone even make such an animal?

My JDub is a 7.6m, which is very small. However, it really doesn't disappoint me when making drawn-out, high speed carves.

The only one I have found so far that can take my feet is a Tanker 167 10.25 SCR.

Other than that, the big mountain boards.

Glissade brosif 168 9.25 SCR

Winterstick ST 162 10.4 SCR

Steepwater either the plow or the steep are around 10

Rossi Experience 168 is an even 10

These are SOLID boards, very burly.

The Dark has a kind of tight SCR, oh well, it is what I want right now, I think.:o

My T6 is the 64W version, feels perfect size wise, I guess a few mm's narrower would be good. Got any good stories regarding the T6 and it's errr, harsh qualities? On smooth snow it kicks ass but holy **** on anything resembling crud, it's like a race car on a pothole filled road.

the prior mfr 176 has a 11m scr, 135cm effective, and a 26.3cm waist.... if you keep an eye on the board rack you can usually grab a gently used demo for around $400-$450.... because as pointed out - who rides those giant freeride boards anyway?

All the MFR's have good sized sides cuts. The AMF isn't bad, but they are shorter.

My T6 is the 64W version, feels perfect size wise, I guess a few mm's narrower would be good. Got any good stories regarding the T6 and it's errr, harsh qualities? On smooth snow it kicks ass but holy **** on anything resembling crud, it's like a race car on a pothole filled road.

Yep. I've had a whole lot of near catastrophes on my T6. Usually it's the flat light hiding the chop that was the biggest culprit.

Sometimes, though, that board would simply throw me for no reason (maybe that had more to do with nose detuing or base bevel). They are such hot rods, but soooo unforgiving.

Now that I have my JDub, I've tried really hard to find a niche that the T6 fills, but I can't. The JDub simply does everything better than the T6. I don't want to sell it and only get $100 for it, but I also don't have any use for it. ...and there's no way I have the heart to relegate it to rock board duty.