Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

Just in case i meant write this in Finglish to mean changing stance width for plate, not stance width of rider :) so my question was does that has effect of how board behaves :ices_ange
oh. i suspect narrowing plate-to-board mounting widths will let you decamber the board really easily. corrections welcome.

i imagine once the plebs (including me) have isolation plates, we'll have a symptom-solution list for mounting/locating plates on boards.

Couple things.

Back to basics, I think we would all agree that narrowing your stance on a snowboard tends to increase it's flex under your pressure. (closer to the center = softer the flex) Widen the stance = stiffer.

Add the relationship of the pressure from pivot to stance position (typically fixed at your normal 19-21cm) You start to see how the leverage of the plate and the position of the pivot will either make the board feel softer or firmer.

Combos:

Ahead/ behind

front / back

offsets differences

Lots of options to blow your mind.

Something that has not come up recently, Jacks photo of the Salmon reminded me to again throw this out.

SNOW STIX. Can't wait to add them to the infinite mix.

TNT Tinkler + Plate+ pivot/slider mech + Snow Stix. :eplus2:

Couple things.

TNT Tinkler + Plate+ pivot/slider mech + Snow Stix. :eplus2:

Bryan what do you say?????

Are you gonna put a plate on top of your Tinkler full system?

Okay, you must have trained your muscles a lot this summer then....

Couple things.

Back to basics, I think we would all agree that narrowing your stance on a snowboard tends to increase it's flex under your pressure. (closer to the center = softer the flex) Widen the stance = stiffer.

Add the relationship of the pressure from pivot to stance position (typically fixed at your normal 19-21cm) You start to see how the leverage of the plate and the position of the pivot will either make the board feel softer or firmer.

Combos

Ahead/ behind

front / back

offsets differences

Lot of options to blow your mind.

Something that has not come up recently, Jacks photo of the Salmon reminded me to again throw this out.

TNT Tinkler + Plate + Snow Stix. :eplus2:

Quicky drawing to help display concept

post-198-141842322418_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842322425_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842322428_thumb.jpg

Bryan what do you say?????

Are you gonna put a plate on top of your Tinkler full system? Yes, sort of

Okay, you must have trained your muscles a lot this summer then....No, just added weight :eplus2:

Yes, the board Mike is building me this season will take all these things into account.

Flex of the plate

Camber of plate

preloading of plate

Flex initiation of the TNT design

Position of pivot/sliders

Position of snow stix and there placement on the board/plate.

Boot height off the snow (very important to me)

Should be good fun!

Tune the flex of the BOARD in the area used. Totally different from freeing up the natural flex of the board underfoot, and of course rider isolation. Pretty soon we will all need to take the slide rule to the slopes! Or our laptops!

Progression. It is using things we tried, refined, then combining them with other systems that are also deemed of value.

I would love to see a list of the heights of each of these plates. I, like Bryan, do not like it when the feet get *too* far off the board. I personally found the Apex w/ F2's completely comfortable in this manner, the Apex + Sidewinder felt borderline high, and a Hangl + TD3 felt high. (That's all my data points... sorry, not all combinations were tried since both plates were borrowed)

Anyone got some numbers? Mainly just looking for how much adding each given plate to a board raises the binding.

I would love to see a list of the heights of each of these plates. I, like Bryan, do not like it when the feet get *too* far off the board. I personally found the Apex w/ F2's completely comfortable in this manner, the Apex + Sidewinder felt borderline high, and a Hangl + TD3 felt high. (That's all my data points... sorry, not all combinations were tried since both plates were borrowed)

Anyone got some numbers? Mainly just looking for how much adding each given plate to a board raises the binding.

Happy to add this to the list. Reporting method should be standardized. I.E Top of board to top of plate. Example.

This gets a bit tricky as plates and mechanisms are changing.

I believe that the higher the angle of the bindings the more influence the plate height has. Simple leverage. I run very high angles, I think that is one reason I notice it perhaps more than others with low angles?

Integrated bindings/plates are, or will be, part of the evolution/solution. IMHO

Thought I'd put this in the plate thread (as well as OT) as it's relevant.

Apparently Fischer came out with it about four years ago. Google turns up nothing for the US. Looks like there are sliding hinges at both ends, with the center fixed, but able to rise upwards as the ski flexes. Also some springs to dampen the movement.

<object width="480" height="385">Interesting in that it is a very different mechanical approach to the same problem.

SunSurfer

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJGiyYGDRU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

post-7136-141842322447_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this picture on the net. The price is considerably higher than the Vist plate (Vist is around 300 Euro (420 dollars) in Europe, the Kessler plate is around 450 Euro (630 dollars)).

By the way, many pros are still using the Vist system (or a similar one) - it can´t be that "oldschool" :ices_ange ...

post-7799-141842323405_thumb.jpg

I just found this picture on the net. The price is considerably higher than the Vist plate (Vist is around 300 Euro (420 dollars) in Europe, the Kessler plate is around 450 Euro (630 dollars)).

By the way, many pros are still using the Vist system (or a similar one) - it can´t be that "oldschool" :ices_ange ...

Gerald,

I have seen many of this plates yesterday at the WorldCup.