Note to New Members ×

Stepping out of step-ins?

Kurt Swanson

The thread the other day about having a hard time releasing from step-in bindings got me thinking. I'm using TD2's with Fintec heels. When I bend over to pull the handle on the boot I'm transferring my weight forward towards my toes, making it hard to release the heel. I sort of solved this problem by attaching one of those three-prong plastic clips to the boot handle (it snaps right in, coincidence?) and then running a nylon strap up inside my pants to the top of the waist band. Pull the strap and bingo yer out. Am I the only one doing this, or is this standard practice?

I have the same strap setup on my rig. Never had a problem coming out of my binding.

That is indeed a good point about the weight shift, not only front loading but side loading as well. When you reach down for the Intec handle some of your weight shifts to the outside as you lean over looking for the handle, possibly creating a bind between the pins and the receiver

attaching one of those three-prong plastic clips to the boot handle (it snaps right in, coincidence?)

Would you guys happen to have any pics of your setup? I'd like to do this too. Thanks :)

F2 even made pants with a pocket for this

http://www.alpinecarving.com/intec1/

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7962

http://www.alpinecarving.com/hiroshi_intec/

I checked at REI. It is a 3/4" buckle, not a 1/2" one. The old boring square style work fine.

They have measurements stated on their buckle thingies? Anyway, I've been to REI multiple times trying to find a compatible buckle for my intec handle, with no success :( Well, I guess it's about time to pay another visit and check again. I don't want to bend over any longer!

The thread the other day about having a hard time releasing from step-in bindings got me thinking. I'm using TD2's with Fintec heels. When I bend over to pull the handle on the boot I'm transferring my weight forward towards my toes, making it hard to release the heel. I sort of solved this problem by attaching one of those three-prong plastic clips to the boot handle (it snaps right in, coincidence?) and then running a nylon strap up inside my pants to the top of the waist band. Pull the strap and bingo yer out. Am I the only one doing this, or is this standard practice?

I did it for a long time saving a lot of muscle-energy, considering that you step-out a lot of time each day. ;-)

Good idea...

F2 was doing a pant that had a "channel" for the string you connect to the handle of the heel. The channel went from the handle to the pocket! :-)

I couldn't find any Fastec buckles to fit the Intec handles in the UK; gear there should be Euro compatible, but whatever size those Intecs are, I can't find it.

Without re-reading those threads... I can't remember where the handles finished with the F2 pants - was it in your pockets or behind your head?

I though I'd rig something from handle-to-handle, with tape going around the back of my neck. Then a little extra bit of tape could sit where my pony-tail used to be before it fell out. Then I could hit a tree-well, then either reach for my feet, or pull the tape anywhere, or reach up to the back of my neck and pull the "double eject" lever from there. Just another way to out-evolve the soft boot guys. But I never tried it... anyone done that?

I had difficulty in finding 3/4" fastex buckle for the Intec handle also. Upon closer inspection I found that the center piece of the buckle was binding inside of the Intec handle. I took a pair of wirecutters/dikes and just snipped off the center section leaving only the two outside tabs to engage into the Intec handle. I have made a few of these by doing it this way. I will try to post a pic later on.

Here is a pic of the mod I did to the buckle, just snip out the center section

idahochristmas006.jpg

Here is a pic of the final product. Purchase some 3/4" webbing material and feed it through the buckle. As for the handle, I went walking around the home crafts store and came upon a package of small wooden wheels for children toys and such. They were drilled in the middle and they were of appropriate size to easily grab them with a pair of gloves on. Slippped the webbing through the hole (you may have to enlarge it) and tied a knot at the top. I make mine with additional material so you can run the strap out your pants wherever it fits and the trim off the excess

idahochristmas005.jpg

thanks neil and volvos.

messed up the REI buckle i had yesterday. wrapped foil around everything except the middle prong and held it above a flame. however.. a side prong melted off first :freak3:

went looking around at stores for another buckle today and found one out of like five stores i checked. snapped off the middle prong, sandpapered the remainder of the prong to make it skinny enough to fit in the female receiver. however, the gap between the male connector base and the side-prong notches ended up being too small :smashfrea

closest REI to southshore is in freakin' reno :flamethro

i'm having a friend back in the hometown go to REI for me to pick up another buckle before he visits me, and hopefully i will be bending over no longer by friday

Wun, I have a few buckles I could send you if your local REI can't provide you with any. Do you have Intecs or Fintecs?? One of our local guys I made a strap for claims that the Fintec handle does not work with the fastex buckle. He says that the buckle continues to pull out of the handle. I have had zero problems with my Intecs.

Aaron

One of our local guys I made a strap for claims that the Fintec handle does not work with the fastex buckle. He says that the buckle continues to pull out of the handle. I have had zero problems with my Intecs.
i have one of those strap that oldvolvosrule was kind enough to give me, i just tried to connect it to the fintec-heel handle now that i saw this thread, it goes in if you push it at the right angle (the handle top is at an angle) but you need to make sure you push it far enough for both plastic pins to engage, because it is at an angle one pin engages before the other and if you don't pay attention only one pin is engaged and when you pull on the strap it will disengage

hope this helps