Note to New Members ×

Square those hips

jtslalom

In the beginning of most snowboard seasons I find myself having some trouble getting back into the swing of things when it comes to riding. My first couple of runs seem horrible and it is not until the second day or so riding that things start coming back together. I usually find myself thinking my way through technical issues and analyze my own riding to get back to where I once was riding last year. This year it happened on the advice of a skier who was showing me something at work and it started to click. My thought "Square those hips" That's all it took. One stupid thought and back to good riding once again. Last night, allthough not perfect, really felt good. Concentrating on squaring my hips and driving with my knees helped my riding. It's funny that sometimes all it takes is just a thought process and your riding turns from so-so to pretty good.

similar, related question to the one you asked in my thread, but in case you still don't get it, the technique is to have the line formed by your two shoulders and/or the line formed by the left and right sides of your hips perpendicular to the long axis of your snowboard (and thus, also the direction of travel, assuming that your board is carving at the given moment) at all times and having those same anatomical lines parallel to the immediate slope of the hill below your feet at all times.

that was kind of hard to explain, so perhaps it's equally hard to read :p

Edit: So I'd hope that the long axis part made sense. If the second part about being parallel to the slope of the hill is going over your head, the "pencil pinching" exercise from one of Jack's tech articles (not to wrongfully credit him if it wasn't written by him, just says "compiled by..") achieves said second part of the technique, known as "angulation," that I was trying to explain.

• 1 month later...

I keep my hips somewhere between pointing at my feet (angles) or pointing at the nose. They move around as needed. If I am screwing up, they might be behind my feet.

When I am riding well, My (would-be) downhill hand (on the outside of the turn, were I standing straight up) tends to be resting or near my leading knee. When I am not riding well, that hand may fall behind my "leading" hip.