Note to New Members ×

Narrowed My Board Search Down to These... Any Input is Appreciated!!

VickVinager

My first board was a Burton Clash 155, and was great to start out on. I would consider selling it if you were interested for $125 +shipping. That would include a Burton travel bag.

One thing though, I am 5' 7" and I grew out of the 155 size pretty quickly, after riding it about 12 times. I ride a 166 arbor a-frame for softies now, although I weigh 35 pounds more than you. Just my opinion but if you are looking for something to hang onto for a while, you might want to consider a 162 or 166.

interesting. everyone i ask tells me to go for 155. is it because you break it in over time? i've never been recommended for anything higher than like 157.

what condition is the board in and do you have pics? im not sure i want to buy a used board, but i would consider it. i still want to check out the other ones though.

i really like the rome gaft, but i havent heard too much about it

For me, I felt like I was overpowering the 155 and as I was going faster and making turns the board was breaking free. When I switched to 166 that all went away. Could also be better technique and I may have weighed too much for the board. There are other riders here with more experience who I'm sure will weigh in on board size vs. weight and experience.

I do have pics and the board is in good condition. Like I mentioned it was used around 12 times for one season. You should definitely look around and get more opinions, demo some boards if you can, and figure out what you want. If you think that you might want it, let me know and I'll send you some pics and then we can figure something out. I'm sure you'll get lots of good information off of this forum, and maybe a better offer on a board.

Good luck!

site indicates you might be interested in carving as opposed to park/jibbing some day, you'd probably be well advised to go slightly longer than conventional wisdom would dictate.

Also, don't be afraid of buying good used gear, especially on this forum. It can save you a mint until you decide what you really want to do with boarding.

This is a great group of riders who, by and large, care more about advancing the sport than personal gain.

Good luck, and have fun!!

BB

you should post this over on TGR. They'll be happy to help you.

LOL. When you head over to TGR, be prepared to post nekkid pics, ideally of women.

Seriously, you are aware that this site focuses on hardboot carving, right? This:

carving2.jpg

The advice you're getting from others is probably jib/park focused...this:

WW8.jpg

Most people here don't have much interest in that bottom pic, despite the copious amount of steeze on display there.

At 5'11" and 155 lbs, I wouldn't consider anything under 162.

Prior AMF is a good board...5-10 cm longer, and I'd be making an offer.

Vick, check out the wesite at www.priorsnowboards.com . Prior does all their manufacturing in Canada; they're about a 10 minute drive from the base of Whistler. I bet most of those other boards you're looking at are built offshore somewhere.

IF you still have that head setup that you posted earlier in your other thread, just keep that and ride it. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27580

Yeah, I know it states that it's an "advanced" board, but it's not really all THAT advanced. It's not like you're buying a 185cm NSR with a 19cm waist. it's a softboot board and still short enough (155cm, which is what you're currently looking at) that at your size it will be easy enough to counter rotate (a very bad thing) and throw into a skid to scrub speed and stop.

Again, like others have said, do you want to ride in the park and jib or are you looking to carve and turn?

IF you still have that head setup that you posted earlier in your other thread, just keep that and ride it. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27580

Yeah, I know it states that it's an "advanced" board, but it's not really all THAT advanced. It's not like you're buying a 185cm NSR with a 19cm waist. it's a softboot board and still short enough (155cm, which is what you're currently looking at) that at your size it will be easy enough to counter rotate (a very bad thing) and throw into a skid to scrub speed and stop.

Again, like others have said, do you want to ride in the park and jib or are you looking to carve and turn?

i do still have the head, but i really want to get rid of it.

i'm mostly going to be cruising around, maybe small jumps, nothing too fast which is why i didnt want the head board with the computer chip in it designed for highest speeds possible. i just want something i can have fun on that will be forgiving and i wont have to be so cautious about not eating snow after a small mistake. i wont be doing any serious jumps, rails or anything as i'm still beginner level, and i wont be going too fast either. just hill stuff.

The advanced designation on that board is to make it seem like a better board.

Pretty much anything twintip except for stuff like 200cm Tankers (and even then I think a Tanker would be fine as long as you didn't try any rails) will fit what you want, your Intellifiber Head included.

I have some Head Monsters (all mountain skis) with all that stuff and I'm a terrible skier. The effect of intellifibers and liquid metal and every other label applied to the skis is very very questionable, you can find some discussion on these forums.

Keep the Head..

Off Topic: Anyone remember those awesome early Head metal skis with a rivet on the nose? I sure don't, but it's interesting that Head never throttled down the decorations.

"INTELLIFIBRES

It all started as technology developed to reduce vibrations while increasing the thrust of helicopter rotor blades. We think the snowboard application is even better. Cruising at slower speeds the board reacts neutrally. The harder you push the speed and the more vibrations you create, the more energy is generated by the Intellifibers™. This energy is captured and fired back to the fibers in five-thousandths of a second so they stiffen up and increase torsional stability. This means that you can power into a turn and hold an edge like you’re on rails and get stability when you’re going flat out.

I.CT CHIP SYSTEM

For total technology geeks looking for the ultimate we also put Intellifiber and a microchip into the Intelligence i.CT. The chip amplifies the energy before it fires back. The effect on the board’s performance is like turning up the volume on your favorite download. Pretty exciting stuff."

hmmmmmnnnn.

Again +1 on riding that head board. The computer chip in it does not mean you have to go fast on it. All it does is make the board more stable if you were going to ride faster. You can still ride the board slow and easy if you want. Give that board a fair try before you buy something else. Head makes good boards.

"INTELLIFIBRES

It all started as technology developed to reduce vibrations while increasing the thrust of helicopter rotor blades. We think the snowboard application is even better. Cruising at slower speeds the board reacts neutrally. The harder you push the speed and the more vibrations you create, the more energy is generated by the Intellifibers™. This energy is captured and fired back to the fibers in five-thousandths of a second so they stiffen up and increase torsional stability. This means that you can power into a turn and hold an edge like you’re on rails and get stability when you’re going flat out.

I.CT CHIP SYSTEM

For total technology geeks looking for the ultimate we also put Intellifiber and a microchip into the Intelligence i.CT. The chip amplifies the energy before it fires back. The effect on the board’s performance is like turning up the volume on your favorite download. Pretty exciting stuff."

hmmmmmnnnn.

Kind of like the Dark Knight's special cape and claws. (6:00 minutes in)

Vick, I will echo what everyone else has said. At your size and weight, the Head will work fine for a beginner. Frankly you won't be able to much tell the difference between one board and another for a while. I would concentrate on getting a good-fitting pair of boots, because beginner or not you can tell when your feet hurt.