Note to New Members ×

Surf Style carving

gus

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b0ardski - Defining style is like grabbing a handful of water and expecting to hold onto it. Nice I like that.

surfers can carve, but carvers can't surf? - I know surfer who can't surf, but they look like they can rip.

carvers surfing that's what I am looking for. icon10.gif

I ride with an old school big wave surfer its all in the board selection. He is partial to Dupraz and the legend autodrive. its also probably surfier in softies. I ride a 4807 on the days I am feeling surfy. the fishtail feels like a fin in the right snow conditions. usually the days its just a little to soft for hardbooting.

hows this one look?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2wQJPLhDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2wQJPLhDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Well I ride with a bunch of Hawaiians from time to time, and I think their style is kind of surfy, although they're much better wave riders than me. This is all back-country powder mind.

The original CERN definitions weren't related to surf; it was just the different teaching approaches of the ESF and the Swiss people. The French guys did call early snowboarding "surf", although I've seen that much less in modern times.

Personally I find all that stylistic "diving for the snow" stuff bears zero relation to surf, but perhaps I'm riding the wrong waves.

I think what could define something as surfstyle is the way you carve your board. Checkout this heelside bottomturn in Pipeline and compare to the Pure Carve style and you see many similarities. And also how you use the terrain when it´s got the right features - banks, rollers, natural halpipes etc etc. - hitting them and using them to crank turns and get more speed and lay out lower carves. Cliff Ahumadas videos from the 90's is great examples of this. A lot of stylish surfstyle riding.

post-506-141842294942_thumb.jpg

Personally I find all that stylistic "diving for the snow" stuff bears zero relation to surf, but perhaps I'm riding the wrong waves.

EC (throwing your body horizontal & popping backup) is definitely not "surfy"

I think what could define something as surfstyle is the way you carve your board. Checkout this heelside bottomturn in Pipeline and compare to the Pure Carve style and you see many similarities. And also how you use the terrain when it´s got the right features - banks, rollers, natural halpipes etc etc. - hitting them and using them to crank turns and get more speed and lay out lower carves.

Mats nailed it here.

I'm not trying to make any claims on sufers territory, and locked into plate binders will never feel like floating in the ocean but I'd bet a 6'6" dupraz noboarding in 2' of med. density snow with rollers and banks would convert any surfer to snowboarding.:biggthump

hows this one look?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2wQJPLhDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2wQJPLhDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Yeah I was going to suggest Mats from Alpinepunk too. He's got a really surfy style and his boards are designed for just that.

I asked a few friends if I was a "carver" or a "snow surfer" after they watched a few videos and they all unanimously said in unison outloud "SURFER!"

:eek:

in review of a few surfing videos and also a few snowboarding and wake boarding ones of myself versus some pics and snowboarding videos....

yeah... (grumble)... I have wrestled with trying to define my own personal "unique" style and apparently do fit this sort of style afterall.... not sure if thats a good thing or a badthing?

I like to surf the white wave. :1luvu:

I don't care who says snow isn't surfing, I surf depending on my mood, for sure. When I turn off of terrain features or bank shot off of a pile of snow that feels like a surf turn.

I even think about runs as having a heelside bottom turn or toe side bottom turn, or breaking left or right. Feels so good.

But no I have never surf in the ocean except in my kayak, which was really fun until I pearled, the nose of kayak hit the sand, and then my head. So much sand in my ears for a week. Kind of rang my bell too.

• 3 months later...

Beautiful shots of some of the most classic carvers ever. I remember loaning Joey Cabell my snowboard during a race at Buttermilk in the mid-90s. I had Burton bindings that don't need tools to adjust so he could cram his ski boots into them. Joey disappeared for a couple of hours and I was wondering if he was ever coming back. That was the beginning of the Buttermilk freecarving movement as far as I know started by Joey and then boosted by all the younger surfers, notably Cliff Ahumada who cranked up Pure Carve and made the earliest videos of surf carving.

Beautiful shots of some of the most classic carvers ever. I remember loaning Joey Cabell my snowboard during a race at Buttermilk in the mid-90s. I had Burton bindings that don't need tools to adjust so he could cram his ski boots into them. Joey disappeared for a couple of hours and I was wondering if he was ever coming back. That was the beginning of the Buttermilk freecarving movement as far as I know started by Joey and then boosted by all the younger surfers, notably Cliff Ahumada who cranked up Pure Carve and made the earliest videos of surf carving.

Hey Kevin - welcome to Bomber. Good to see you here my man. You guys published some photos of mine when there used to be some diversity in snowboard mags. I do miss Snowboard Life.

Real name: Jerry Hadam, photographer in Sun Valley. Again Welcome.

As far as the Aspen area...

It started in Aspen at Highlands 84/85 and then when Buttermilk opened to Snowboarding in the 85/86 season...:) There were no HB's or Alpine boards

at Milk till 86/87 that I recall...Cliff and the Pure Carve Stoke he created peaked in the Mid Nineties to 2001 or so I call the age of camelot for Carving at Milk

and Yes Joey, was and is a major influence in the Carving done at Milk both then and now...