Note to New Members ×

need advice on a board

caspercarver

i carve by the seat of my pants. I just carve by feel. So I'm not very good with the technical side. What i think i want is a Donek Axis 162 cm. to replace my failing F2 beamer. I want to change the scr from 8.9 to 8.5 scr. I want to turn fast and tight, i want to make as many turns from point A to B. I want a soft flex like the F2. I want to go from the harder flex of the Axis to a softer flex of the Donek Pheonix. I don't want to have to work to hard, I'm gettin old. I also want but don't know how to achieve, a board that when un-wieghted pops you into the air. What's your opinion on this? why this will work or won't? Or any suggestions i haven't thought of? I am currently about 145lbs and 5' 10" and almost always on softer hardpack, I live in Jackson, Wyoming, so a lot of snow and not much ice. Thanks. :biggthump

I think Donek should be able to hook you up pretty well. While I am a huge Coiler fan, I think the "board that when un-wieghted pops you into the air" would steer you away from metal (and last I talked to Bruce that was all he was making - but this may have changed). Best idea is call Sean Martin or Bruce V and talk to them.

See if you can hook-up with Ace (He's in CO now) and ride the Coiler X-4.

It's probably not exactly what you want, but really, really close.

If, for whatever reason, you do end up going with a metal construction, you can go with a much larger side cut radius. The metal boards that I've riden (all Coilers) could be cranked down to tighten up a turn with way less effort than a glass board. I would think this would give you a more versitile board.

YMMV,

-Mark

I don't want to have to work to hard, I'm gettin old.

Then you want metal.

I also want but don't know how to achieve, a board that when un-wieghted pops you into the air.

Then you want glass.

Nah, not really. A metal board can launch you too, but it won't do it by itself. Don't worry about 8.9m vs 8.5m, 8.9 is already very small, and you won't notice the difference. If I was building the board I wouldn't bother to make a new template. I'd just give it to you with 8.9 and say yep, here's your 8.5, have fun! ;) ;)

Don't ride the X4. That board was an experiment that didn't pan out, I rode it.

Could you elaborate? I rode it too, and liked it.

Bruce agreed with me on the phone. The three radii and the flex pattern didn't jive. It was a very strange ride and you could feel the different radii fighting each other. Part of the board would be skidding and part would be carving. Sort of. Hard to describe. That board was conflicted. Schizophrenic even. Pretty certain it was his first attempt at VSR.

I could see that being the case on ice or frozen granular. On the stuff I rode it on (sun warmed granular) it performed, and carved, cleanly. I still think it would be worth checking out as it meets many of the listed criteria. Small sidecut radius (turned as tight as my 9-9.5m glass boards), soft flex, and it pops. Yes it's an experiment, but one that I think was on the right track and a very good starting point for getting to what caspercarver described. Please understand that I don't think he would want an exact clone of that board. I do think it would be worth his time to ride it though.

If he can afford a new board, it sounds like the new VSRs have come a long way from the X4. Or his idea of an Axxess or AM is good if he wants some all-mtn ability, but I would recommend a metal one.

i really wasn't considering metal, my only experience with metal boards are the three prior metal wcr. i had. they had no pop at all.i liked them for everything else though.

you need a modern pj

i would love this board!

Casper, don't forget that you like to carve switch also.... so an up turned tail might be a need also...

You comming to SES by chance?

i believe the axis has a slightly upturned tail. i doubt i will coming to ses. i am really low on funds this year. i am going to call Sean at Donek. I even went to factory a few months ago but i forgot half of what i learned and i know i wasn't asking all the right questions. With all this good advice i think i will be better prepared to order the right board. thanks!:biggthump

i really wasn't considering metal, my only experience with metal boards are the three prior metal wcr. i had. they had no pop at all.i liked them for everything else though.

i would love this board!

i believe the axis has a slightly upturned tail. i doubt i will coming to ses. i am really low on funds this year. i am going to call Sean at Donek. I even went to factory a few months ago but i forgot half of what i learned and i know i wasn't asking all the right questions. With all this good advice i think i will be better prepared to order the right board. thanks!:biggthump

I know what you mean about the metal-topped priors being pretty "dead." I got one of the new shaped 2010 prior metals with the decambered nose, and glass over metal top sheet (or whatever it is over the metal) and that board definitely has the ability to get you in the air between turns.

So maybe a shorter one of the new school prior metals if you are looking for a readily available off the rack board. Looks like there are several 163's in stock. 10M sidecut... too big? I doubt you'd notice, but maybe you would.

I know what you mean about the metal-topped priors being pretty "dead." I got one of the new shaped 2010 prior metals with the decambered nose, and glass over metal top sheet (or whatever it is over the metal) and that board definitely has the ability to get you in the air between turns.

So maybe a shorter one of the new school prior metals if you are looking for a readily available off the rack board. Looks like there are several 163's in stock. 10M sidecut... too big? I doubt you'd notice, but maybe you would.

the metal coilers I've been on are snappier than the metal top priors I've been on.

man, sounds like you want a SL deck but they are a lot of work, I think getting launched between turns is from the board being bent and snapping straight as well as you being very compressed and snapping out too= lots of work.

Maybe Sean Martin or Bruce V could weave up some magic for you. I'd think the angryy, a smaller radius stub(like my 11 meter stub), SL or a modernized donek FC would all do what you want. I had a glass coiler AM that bruce stiffened up the middle on that I could crank turns on and a couple times I actually hurt my ankle riding due to pulling Gs.