Note to New Members ×

2010 Olympic souvenir program

Corey

Came across this on the local magazine rack. Look what sport is featured prominently on the cover:

j9c9xf.jpg

Inside there is little mention of alpine other than listing it as one of the snowboard events. The map that tells you where events are does not list alpine snowboarding, only that there is snowboarding at the Cypress halfpipe. Kimi Z. is on the back cover though in an ad. (Sorry, no picture)

Nice graphic.

I don't want to turn this into a "whining about the portrayal of alpine" thread, but... well it's interesting that an image which they think is "cool" for none-snowboarders is not something you would generally find anywhere near any magazine intended for snowboarders.

Nice graphic.

I don't want to turn this into a "whining about the portrayal of alpine" thread, but... well it's interesting that an image which they think is "cool" for none-snowboarders is not something you would generally find anywhere near any magazine intended for snowboarders.

Hopefully Transworld will be doing a spotlight on SES or some carving in the near future. :rolleyes:

Holding breath, but I can count longer than ......

Has anyone seen the Olympic pins yet for events? curious if there is an alpine one.

Nice but many are already sold out :(

and they won't ship to the US :angryfire

Just hop on a plane to Vancouver.

They're selling the pins in snowboard shops, ski shops, corner convenience stores, hardware stores, etc. They're widely available.

We're in the middle of a deep freeze (currently -1 celsius, or around 30 fahrenheit), so dress warmly. Yes, -1c is considered extreme cold for Vancouver. Did you know that Vancouver will be the warmest city to ever host a winter Olympic games?

Just checked out the official souvenir at Save-On Foods (a local grocery store).

It's a magazine. And it's $18. No, that's not a typo. It's eighteen dollars!

Mind you, there are way less advertisements than most magazines, but there still are some ads.

-----------------------------------------------

Yeah, Vancouver is not your typical Canadian city. When I moved to Vancouver from Winnipeg, I noticed these winter oddities:

Convertibles driving around in the winter with tops down.

People walking in shorts every day in December and January.

Stores with front garage-style doors wide open for fresh air.

Brand new glass front buildings with a quarter inch gap between the front doors for ventilation.

Outdoor bank machines.

Nobody owns gloves or mitts.

Vancouver has an NHL hockey team, but nobody knows how to skate, never mind actually own their own skates.

No snow in the city.