Note to New Members ×

Not Sure If I'm Happy With Board Purchase. Was It a Bad Deal?

VickVinager

What up guys. I haven't snowboarded in at least 5 years so I'm pretty much starting over. Obviously not very experienced.

I was at a snowboard sale they have here every year and didn't know about it until the last couple hours of the sale. I had wanted a board for a few weeks but I wanted to jump on the sale because they usually have crazy good deals. So my chance to research before I bought was limited.

bought this set up...

Head i.ct board 155" (2008)

Head px10 bindings

Head triple king pin boots

Paid $420 for the board and bindings together, 70 for the boots, all new.

I just wanted a versatile board good for whatever I decide to do. I'm not going to be going on any huge mountains as i live in wisconsin. I'm 5'9 155, bought a 155 board.

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

S157CM.jpg

it has that intelligence chip that adjusts the flexibility for the speed you go at.

the more research i do i think i might have bought an advanced board meant only for going fast? which is not really what i will be doing. just trying to cruise around and have fun.

i just dont want to end up having a board thats going to cause me to bust my ass every tiny mistake i make.

i'm thinking about trying to sell it and get something else. should i be happy with it or try to get rid of it?

i haven't been able to find much information about head snowboards, especially the i.ct

That snowboard has two front ends, the bindings are mounted all catywampus, and the photo only shows the boot liners. Where are the shells?:p

It's a snowboard, I'm sure it'll be fine for you if your weight is anywhere near the correct range for that board. Don't worry about it being to stiff. Hang around this forum for a while, read the articles hosted on this site:

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm

and soon you'll be looking for something stiffer.

Welcome to the forum, welcome to real snowboarding.:biggthump

That board should be fine. Head makes good boards. The inteligence chip makes the board stiffen up when you ride faster therefore making it more stable. That will not make the board harder to ride. I demoed a 168 a few years ago and I thought it was too stiff to ride in moguls but otherwise it was fine. It was a nice riding board. I doubt you will have much in the way of moguls in Wisconsin. Go ahead and ride it for a while to see if you like it. Make sure the edges are sharp and it is properly waxed.Dull edges are no fun on hard snow. I guess you said the board is brand new so the edges are probably okay.

looks duckywompus to me:lol:

seriously, that set up should be good for you to learn on with style points besides.

Not a bad deal for new gear, but with some off season savvy you could do better.

Hang out, read a lot and use the search for questions 1st, then start a thread.

Welcome to the best source for carving info & gear on the net:biggthump

PS check the ride board & hook up with carvers in your area, riding with others is the best way to learn.

Hey Vick,

Some thoughts.

Before you jettison the gear, try tinkering with your bindings (e.g., angles, width) and so on. It's been 5 years, so you might need to catch up. Maybe a more traditional stance would be more comfortable. Thus, angle your back foot forward to at least neutral (meaning, correct that your back foot binding is pointing more towards the tail than the tip). Have you always rided duck?

It takes me a while to get comfortable riding anew each year. I can't imagine how I would feel after a 5 year hiatus. Just play around with your board and stance (yes, even on the carpet at home). Things will work out.

Best of luck,

Colin

Hey Vick,

Some thoughts.

Before you jettison the gear, try tinkering with your bindings (e.g., angles, width) and so on. It's been 5 years, so you might need to catch up. Maybe a more traditional stance would be more comfortable. Thus, angle your back foot forward to at least neutral (meaning, correct that your back foot binding is pointing more towards the tail than the tip). Have you always rided duck?

It takes me a while to get comfortable riding anew each year. I can't imagine how I would feel after a 5 year hiatus. Just play around with your board and stance (yes, even on the carpet at home). Things will work out.

Best of luck,

Colin

thanks. i should add that i was never very good to begin with, so the 5 year hiatus will almost be like starting over, hehe.

i'm going to take it in somewhere to get it adjusted properly, i think. yeah, i've always ridden duck, and i guess i'll get some help in seeing what will work best for me

Considering how most people go out and buy a Lamar, Burton, Sims, GNU, Roxy or other lame-brand and you went to a higher end board you are already ahead of the learning curve.

* pun intended.

hahah... nice.

from what i read head is really big in places like japan and europe but not so much the states yet.

Considering how most people go out and buy a Lamar, Burton, Sims, GNU, Roxy or other lame-brand and you went to a higher end board you are already ahead of the learning curve.

* pun intended.

burton, gnu and sims all make high end gear.

and low end gear too. lamar and roxy(roxy and rossi are the same board until this year) anyway, both are bargain basement companies.

it's not so much the brand it's the model you buy.

back to the original post, you got a decent deal, nothing I'd want but there's nothing wrong with it for that price.

I learned to carve pretty decent on a regular board with angles set at F20 and R10. Hard to carve in duck stance.

actually i interpreted the first post wrong.

the bindings are just the way i bought them. i didn't adjust them and i don't plan on riding the way they are. i have no idea how or what way i need to adjust them so i was going to take it somewhere and ask whoever is there to do it for me i guess

You did good. Board will take you far as you want to go. Not a true Freestyle board, more of a freeride shape and construction. Top of the line bindings, and Good Boots.

There were no real changes to those models for this year, the retail is Board - 769, Binding 299, boots 180 = 1257. Wholesale totals $798. As a rep you have paid 474 for the board/bindings and 84 for the boots, Which pretty much represents the best price possible. The seller probably lost money on the deal.

Intelligence chip is cool, and works pretty well, especially on freeride boards...

Hope that helps your consumer dissonance...

You did good. Board will take you far as you want to go. Not a true Freestyle board, more of a freeride shape and construction. Top of the line bindings, and Good Boots.

There were no real changes to those models for this year, the retail is Board - 769, Binding 299, boots 180 = 1257. Wholesale totals $798. As a rep you have paid 474 for the board/bindings and 84 for the boots, Which pretty much represents the best price possible. The seller probably lost money on the deal.

Intelligence chip is cool, and works pretty well, especially on freeride boards...

Hope that helps your consumer dissonance...

yeah thanks that does help.

the only thing i'm worried about- is did i buy a board that i wont be able to handle? i dont want to be falling all over the place unable to control the board because its too fast, advanced, stiff, etc for me.

i havent snowboarded in at least 5 years and even when i did i wasn't very good.

i don't want to end up with a board that won't let me progress and have me falling all over the place with every little mistake i make, if there are a bunch of less expensive boards out there that will allow me to not fall as much and control it way better.

well...how big are you? how much do you weigh? what is your general athletic ability?

Ultimately, you should be fine on that board. My best advice is to take a lesson or two from a professional instructor...

i'm 5'9 155, very athletic. taking a lesson or two might be a good idea, not sure if i can afford it at the time but i'll keep it in mind.

+1 on a professional lesson:biggthump

Use the money you saved on good gear for a great price & give yourself a head start with instruction that won't give you bad habits like you'd get from the bros down the street.

It'll be $$ well spent & give you the right things to practice on your own.

• 2 weeks later...