Note to New Members ×

Tell your story of how Canting changed your riding

Bobby Buggs

I found that a little outward cant on the rear foot feels more natural for riding with knees apart. It also puts your rear knee more under your c.o.g. on a toeside. I love it.

On the front foot I used to use only toe lift but over time I've just found it more comfortable for me to add a little inward cant. I still think heel/toe lift and zero canting is a good place to start experimenting.

I played around with canting for years and eventually found that no canting at all - flat front and straight heel lift - gave me the most comfortable position on the board. I think I'm most balanced that way too, but would need an expert to watch me and tell.

Never rode without it, but can't imagine riding without it, that would kill my knees. I know because of the small amount of changes I did make to cant and lift (before I found the 'sweet-spot') really made my knees VERY uncomfortable.

I rode ltoe/heel lift only for years. Last year I started experimenting with surf stance for freeriding (45/25 to 50/35 angles). At one time I had invard canting set on the rear binding, by mistake and it felt right. So now, I mostly addopted 3deg rear cant with heel lift and just minimal toe lift in front. Works great, but I can live without it.

For carving only, I still set my old 65-60 to 50-45 with toe/heel lifts only.

Is everyone saying 3' works because UPZ only goes + or - 2 ???:AR15firin

They are talking about binding cant I believe. Boot adjustments should only be used to adjust for physical properties of the user ie. bow-legged or similar.

Binding cant is a different thing.

Binding cant taught me how to carve in softboots.

Initially, we glued shims into the bindings. As soon as we noticed how our knees and center of rotation was more centralised, carving soon followed.

Soon, manufacturers started offering cant's that could be installed under the bindings. I rode these for a long time.

I now ride without cants on all boards.

I originally used the Burton cant/lift on the rear binding, then over the years went to just heel/toe lift. But then I got a wider board with more relaxed angles and found that my heelside turns were wavy. I tried the rear cant/lift and it made the heelside turns smooth again. So I apparently twist the board if I don't use some rear inward canting.

After 15 years on flat bindings, I went TD3 last year with 3 deg discs front and back. The way that I have them set gives me about 1 degree of inward cant on my front foot and 0.5 degree outward on my rear foot. I tried a bunch of variations, and that is just what felt comfortable to me.

I feel that the canting is really a minor 'comfort factor' that makes my knees happy and dials in my balance a bit. The toe and heel lift felt like a more dramatic performance / balance improvement.

Well i've never rode without cant. can't imagine doing so unless I was running more than like let's say 50 degrees. then things change and cant doesn't make as much sense.

outward cant on the back foot sounds bizarre to me, don't get it someone enlighten me.

Today I ran 40f/35r with heel lift and 6 degree inward cant on rear, with toe lift and 3 degree inward cant on front foot.

Riding a 192 tanker.

For me a wide stance gives you stabilty, and canting with toe heel lifts gives the stance some comfort.

outward cant on the back foot sounds bizarre to me, don't get it someone enlighten me.

It may have to do with the fact that I'm bow-legged. Other than that, I can't tell you why that setup feels comfortable and perfectly balanced to me, but it does. I've heard others say they ride the same configuration, (Jack Michaud for one) but it really depends on YOUR body geometry and preferences.

We bought 3 sets of sims/santa cruz rotocants with the 186 nitro diablo and 158 sims fakie (volkl core with inserts) in '92, they worked like the TD2-3 except with peripheral mounting screws (pre 4x4) rather than center disc mounting.

The 6* were too much but the 3* felt great with a mix of cant/lift front & rear or flat front.

I'm more knock kneed rather than bowlegged so outward cant never occurred to me.

Keep in mind this is on wide boards with a surf stance. The problem with the rotocants was they were mostly plastic and would pivot with out an added set screw.

After destroying the 1st set of the rotos on the diablo at alpental I upgraded to burton asyms & rattraps:lol:

Used the 7*wedge on the rear & unicant at 3-4* on the front which felt good on the narrower primes.

Bought the Nitro stepins in 96 and found the 3* inward cant worked best for knee comfort and all around performance on all but the skinniest (under 20) boards where heel & toe lift replace cant.