Note to New Members ×

Volant Excel GS 173

altaholism

If someone really offered you $300 + shipping, what are you waiting for? Take $100 for the board and the other $200 for nothing. $550 ?!? Let me think, would I rather spend $550 on the ancient Volant or use it to buy a used Metal board in decent shape? Or I could buy a good shape used Coiler or Donek (non-metal) and still have a couple hundred to carry around.

Stainless steel cap construction, made in Denver CO. Lay down some trenches with this vintage classic or hang it on the wall with your collection or do both. Awesome board, excellent condition. A dozen times on snow if that many. Asking $550 including shipping.

OMFG, what are you on? lol. good one. more than it was retail.

If someone really offered you $300 + shipping, what are you waiting for? Take $100 for the board and the other $200 for nothing. $550 ?!? Let me think, would I rather spend $550 on the ancient Volant or use it to buy a used Metal board in decent shape? Or I could buy a good shape used Coiler or Donek (non-metal) and still have a couple hundred to carry around.

not to mention anything from volkl, donek, prior, nidecker, coiler, oxegen and even some burtons are all leaps and bounds better. the volants and steel agressions were the most fragile boards I've ever seen. there were lots of them made, only reason there are so few left is because they explode.

there's been some great classifieds threads as of late. divebomber? that you?

not to mention anything from volkl, donek, prior, nidecker, coiler, oxegen and even some burtons are all leaps and bounds better. the volants and steel agressions were the most fragile boards I've ever seen. there were lots of them made, only reason there are so few left is because they explode.

there's been some great classifieds threads as of late. divebomber? that you?

FU(K YOU.

not to mention anything from volkl, donek, prior, nidecker, coiler, oxegen and even some burtons are all leaps and bounds better.

it's plain simple NOT TRUE.

yes, 550 is overbounds - seems like 150 is more to the point - but volant's ride is very nice and different, no one from up list (and yes, I rode volkl, donek, prior, coiler and oxy) may be compared on terms like "better". I personally bent volant 162sl - only to replace it. 173gs is not my cup of tea, but 162sl is GREAT board on it's own. two outstanding SL-style carvers for me - volant 162sl and pogo overdose. love them both.

Yup, so many people actually still like Volants... Or, at least liked them a lot in the past, before the new metals became all the rage.

I wouldn't mind having one to test ride it and compare. After that, it will end up on my "Wall of Fame". However, I wouldn't pay big money for those purposes...

it's plain simple NOT TRUE.

yes, 550 is overbounds - seems like 150 is more to the point - but volant's ride is very nice and different, no one from up list (and yes, I rode volkl, donek, prior, coiler and oxy) may be compared on terms like "better". I personally bent volant 162sl - only to replace it. 173gs is not my cup of tea, but 162sl is GREAT board on it's own. two outstanding SL-style carvers for me - volant 162sl and pogo overdose. love them both.

dude, I worked in a shop that carried aggression, half of the boards came back and I broke a couple of the demos myself.

the boards were garbage. end of story. think what you want. you even admit breaking one.

dude, I worked in a shop that carried aggression, half of the boards came back and I broke a couple of the demos myself.

the boards were garbage. end of story. think what you want. you even admit breaking one.

:) if i think that your lovely is trash coz of mine personal experience - so what? think what you think - but you are not truth either) i rode too many days on volants with much fun and one problem -- stuffing the nose into soft bump -- it can be a problem with almost any board, btw

pity that volant is gone. yes - very nice ride, and yes - with durabiliy problems. first kesslers been there too - just to remind. old motto: steel is real. think shane mcconkey

Hmmmmm..... WAS considering selling my mint condition Volant 173....

Don't need the cash bad enough to part with her.

She's such a naughty little girl :1luvu:

Guess I'll just have to give table dances at old folks' homes after all.

Maybe Big Mario will be my bodyguard to fend off the horny old gals.

post-241-141842292641_thumb.jpg

:) if i think that your lovely is trash coz of mine personal experience - so what? think what you think - but you are not truth either) i rode too many days on volants with much fun and one problem -- stuffing the nose into soft bump -- it can be a problem with almost any board, btw

pity that volant is gone. yes - very nice ride, and yes - with durabiliy problems. first kesslers been there too - just to remind. old motto: steel is real. think shane mcconkey

right, but kessler was making boards that performed leaps and bounds better than other boards for awhile. not the case with volant's gimmickry, if it were the case every company would of been on steel in both the ski industry and snowboard industry.

right, but kessler was making boards that performed leaps and bounds better than other boards for awhile

for someone, possibly for ALL - possibly, but not for me. full-alu is not my bandwagon - YES, for me kessler is inferior to volant due to expressiveness and fun

strange that I second time state here on BOL that there's no universal truth and universal beauty and universal ride. we are different - you hate you experience with volants - and I love mine. so - what?

PS and yes, I have no plans for full-titanal in my quiver of 15 - and all this craziness over metal is a pity sign for me, recreational hardboot anywhere freerider

Your actual mileage may vary. But to call them junk is uninformed.

I've logged over 100 days on my 173 and at least 50 on my 162- no issues. And they don't get soft like a glass board can over time.

Race plates are fine too thank you very much. Just cause some stainless boards delammed immediately after contact with water doesn't mean that there might not have been different runs. I've been told maybe I just got some "good ones"?

As for ancient- my white walled Madd is older.

My 162 Volant is a much better board than my 2 year old 163RT which I happen to like very much. I baby the Volant (less than 10 days a year now) because it is probably hard to replace. If you found a good one that hasn't blown up it is certainly worth the $150 that people pay for a shelf factory prime...

• 1 year later...

Maybe I will give you a funny, but on the basis of this conversation:biggthump just bought my own VolantExcel 173. Today I won a Ebay auction. Board will come from Austria.It is equipped with step-in PROFLEX bindings.I can not wait to try it.Maybe you will share your experiences with driving???