Note to New Members ×

Techno, House, Trance, AMPING -UP for riding music.

Dave ESPI

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Resorts PROHIBIT cell phones and or Music devices ? certainly not the two you mentioned. Are they giving Tickets, using Tasers or Banning people?

you are clearly not reading the link read the ****ing code on the said sites

yes, if you're on the phone while loading a lift and told to stop or are clearly distracted by music on your said device and are asked to stop and you don't it's within reason for a patroller or lifty to pull your pass.

You are aware that I have worked at steamboat, it's known but not really enforced except on people that are complete tools and do something really dumb.

the majority accidents are caused by morons, many of them have tunes going when riding among many other things. this is one of the areas where resorts look at minimizing risk both from a honest to goodness safety standpoint and from lawyers and insurance carriers saying it must be so. You are arguing with me about something that I had to train people on when they were working as lift ops. whatever you may think or not know is your own problem and the resorts generally don't like to have their lifties and patrollers busting guests on everything and usually it's at a employee's discretion to enforce many rules.

When ASC was still around that rule was company wide, also, mammoth, that pretty much covered half the industry in the east as far as major resorts go and covers at three in the west. I worked for ASC and mammoth. There are places like Okemo where they are like ****ing nazis about everything. they enforce leash law and slow zones with the zeal of SS officers looking for a promotion. Most resorts don't want that rep as they know it kills a fair share of their market.

I read it Bob....it says they discourage the use of cell phones and music devices.

No where in the code does it say their use is prohibited, which you stated.

I have been here skiing and boarding since 1968, I know and ride the chairs up the mts. with the people who run them

no one has mentioned anything about this to me.? Though they can clearly see the wire running up to my helmet.

I do find it Ironic that all the Ski resorts here in the US not only discouraged the use of Snowboards, but Banned or

Prohibited their use for many years. Please note that you are not required to have either a cell phone or a music device

when you go...so just let it go.

Maybe take a day and go get some turns to mellow yourself out...OK

read it, KNOW THE CODE, IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

1. Your Responsibility Code

Heavenly is committed to promoting skier safety. In addition to people using traditional alpine ski equipment, you may be joined on the slopes by snowboarders, telemark skiers or cross-country skiers, skiers with disabilities, skiers with specialized equipment and others. Always show courtesy to others and be aware that there are elements of risk in skiing and snowboarding that common sense and personal awareness can help reduce. Know your ability level and stay within it. Observe "Your Responsibility Code" listed below and share with other skiers the responsibility for a great skiing experience.

• Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.

• People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

• You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.

• Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

• Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.

• Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.

• Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

• Be advised that Heavenly does not mark all potential obstacles or hazards.

When marked, poles, flags, fencing, signage, padding or other forms of marking are used to

inform the skier/rider of the location of a potential obstacle or hazard. These markers are no guarantee

of your safety. It is part of your responsibility under the Your Responsibility Code to avoid all obstacles

and hazards.

2. Ski Safety

Under the law, any individual who engages in the sport of skiing, alpine or Nordic, or any person who is within the boundaries of a ski area for the purpose of observing any skiing activity, accepts and assumes the inherent risk of skiing insofar as they are reasonably obvious, expected or necessary.

Inherent risks of skiing include, but are not limited to, those damagers or conditions which are an integral part of the sport, and can also include changing weather conditions, variation or steepness of terrain, snow or ice conditions, surface of subsurface conditions, whether man-modified or not, bare spots, creeks, gully, forest growth or rocks, stumps, lift towers and other structures and their components, collision with other skiers and a skier's failure to ski within the skier's own ability.

Any individual involved in a skiing collision causing injury must leave their name and address with the Ski Patrol. Failure to do so is a violation of California Penal Code Section 653i.

Skiers and Riders should be advised that a green circle, blue square or black diamond at Heavenly is not necessarily the same as a green circle, blue square or black diamond at other resorts. The system is a relative rating of trails at each resort and does not compare trail difficulty between resorts. Skiers and Riders should begin with the easiest terrain and then move up in difficulty as their ability permits in order to understand the relative rating at Heavenly.

Extreme Terrain contains cliffs, very steep slopes as well as rocks and other hazards. Skiing or boarding Extreme Terrain is for EXPERT SKIERS & RIDERS!

3. Freestyle Terrain

Areas are designated with an orange oval and may contain jumps, hits, ramps, banks, fun boxes, jibs, rails, half pipes, quarter pipes, snowcross, bump terrain and other constructed or natural terrain features. Prior to using Freestyle Terrain, you are responsible for familiarizing yourself with Freestyle Terrain and obeying all instructions, warnings and signs.

Freestyle skills require maintaining control on the ground, and in the air. Use of Freestyle Terrain exposes you to the risk of serious injury or death. Inverted aerials are not recommended. You assume the risk.

Freestyle Terrain has designations for size. Start small and work your way up. Designations are relative to this ski area.

Smaller features

Medium features

Larger features

MAKE A PLAN.

Every time you use Freestyle Terrain, make a plan for each feature you want to use. Your speed, approach and takeoff will directly affect your maneuver and landing.

LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.

You are responsible for inspecting Freestyle Terrain before initial use and throughout the day. The features vary in size and change constantly due to snow conditions, weather, usage, grooming and time of day. Do not jump blindly. Use a spotter when necessary.

EASY STYLE IT.

Always ride or ski in control and within your ability level. Do not attempt Freestyle Terrain unless you have sufficient ability and experience to do so safely. You control the degree of difficulty you will encounter in using Freestyle Terrain, both on the ground and in the air.

RESPECT GETS RESPECT.

Respect Freestyle Terrain and others. Only one person on a feature at a time. Wait your turn and call your start. Always clear the landing area quickly. Respect all signs and do not enter Freestyle Terrain or use features when closed.

4. Electronic Devices

Heavenly discourages the use of electronic devices - cell phones, music players, or earphones - while skiing and snowboarding, or loading and unloading lifts.

5. Lift Safety

Under the law, you cannot board a lift unless you have sufficient physical dexterity, ability and knowledge to negotiate or to use such lift safely or until you have asked for and received information sufficient to enable you to use the lift safely. You may not use a lift or any ski trail when under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

6. CAUTION

Snowcats, snowmobiles and snowmaking equipment may be encountered at any time.

7. Slow Zones

Certain areas (indicated on the map in yellow) are designated as SLOW ZONES. Please observe the posted slow areas by maintaining a speed no faster than the general flow of traffic. Space and speed are especially important in these areas. Fast and aggressive skiing will not be tolerated.

that's the same thing that most resorts have posted somewhere. it's part of NSAA's safety program, same place the responsibility code comes from and this is posted on the same page on their pamphlets and in the ski areas material.

all of that is part of it not just the main the first part. there's even more that I did not post. the fact that you're ignoring it is simply ****ing amazing. you sir are might be trying to take the short bus rider of the week award away from Dave ESPI.

1. Your Responsibility Code

Heavenly is committed to promoting skier safety. In addition to people using traditional alpine ski equipment, you may be joined on the slopes by snowboarders, telemark skiers or cross-country skiers, skiers with disabilities, skiers with specialized equipment and others. Always show courtesy to others and be aware that there are elements of risk in skiing and snowboarding that common sense and personal awareness can help reduce. Know your ability level and stay within it. Observe "Your Responsibility Code" listed below and share with other skiers the responsibility for a great skiing experience.

• Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.

• People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

• You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.

• Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

• Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.

• Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.

• Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

• Be advised that Heavenly does not mark all potential obstacles or hazards.

When marked, poles, flags, fencing, signage, padding or other forms of marking are used to

inform the skier/rider of the location of a potential obstacle or hazard. These markers are no guarantee

of your safety. It is part of your responsibility under the Your Responsibility Code to avoid all obstacles

and hazards.

I don't see nothing about music or headphones?? Do I suck at reading.

All the rest of that is just embellishment.

To anyone who tries to take my music away on the hill -- I will take you out.

If I can hear you. Which I won't since my music is turned up loud enough to make my ears bleed..

[Rant troll/over]

Oops not over. Just reading the embellishment section again. So if I hit a jump or terrain feature without a plan will I be kicked off the hill? Or does landing the jump mean that I did have a plan? To land, that is.

You may not use a lift or any ski trail when under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vfSk-6tIvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vfSk-6tIvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am sure they enforce this one too.

I just returned from Ajax...Good groom and sunny.

I talked with the People at the Main Offices at the bottom of Aspen Mt. concerning music devices and cell phones and they said they have no policy

in regards to talking to people about using cell phones or ever training any of their personnel to do such!

Then I talked with Peter who runs the lifts on Ajax and has been with the ASC since 1988 who again said no personnel have ever been trained to do what you have stated here!

Finally today I talked with Peter King, Mountain Manager up on Ajax who was actually a manager at Buttermilk when they opened to snowboarding back

in the mid 80's, a cool guy! He is completely aware of the Skiers code and how it is to be applied. Peter assured me there has never been a policy by

the company about musical devices or cell phones that was meant in any way to HINDER their use at any time. He stated people need to use any and

all pieces of equipment they bring to the hill in a responsible manner which is really what the Skiers Code says...BE RESPONSIBLE

Please feel Free to Call or e-mail the Aspen Skiing Co. and they will reiterate what I have said here!

Music Devices and Cell Phones are allowed here without any bias against them...

As for your personal attack against me for stating the simple truth as it is practiced here where I live...:)

I will be up on the mountain again tomorrow with a little music...

right, so do this, turn the tunes way up and skate out in front of a chair and wait to get hit like a idiot. when you get hit and threaten to litigate see where it goes.

the NSAA code of skier resposibility is actually quite long and and changes from area to area due to things being more applicable at some resorts than others, for example, the bit about parks is not applicable if you don't have a park. mostly it's common sense. cell phones and mp3 players are even mentioned in resort training videos that I'm pretty sure are also from NSAA. most of the time when you see it it even says it's a partial list. I have linked to where it's printed in full.

dude, I was working for ASC, the other ASC, american skiing company. they at one point owned. killinton, sunday river, steamboat, the canyons, sugarloaf, sugarbush, mt snow, heavenly and attitash. ASC has since dissolved.

aspen skiing company is a different thing.

bottom line, it's not a good idea, many resorts go as far as to write it down as does NSAA. you want believe whatever makes you feel good and so you do.

Personally I only would listen to Pantera or KMFDM. Maybe some Ministry or Slayer...

Damn this thread went to poop real fast.

:lurk: poopcorn...LOL.

I listen to metal also. Industrial music is good for thrashing in the spring time conditions on a rock board :biggthump

Crablouse and a few other choice songs work their way into my rotation also.

Check out "The Parallel Project". They have a few kickass songs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vfSk-6tIvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vfSk-6tIvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am sure they enforce this one too.

if you're visibly drunk, yes, it is.

No music while riding for me at all. Never did and will never do. I need to hear as much as possible around and underneath me. The noise of the snow is very important for me, just another sense, an important one.

But, House, Trance, Techno all the way. Have experienced Paul Oakenfold, Pete Tong and many other world class DJ live many many times at Rain (Palms Hotel) in Vegas, Pacha and other clubs in Ibiza/Spain… always a blast!!!:smashfrea

I'm with you on this one. Even if I had the head phones on the music gets blocked out anyway. I like to hear the sound of riding and sometimes those sounds can be helpful for avoiding an unsuspected collision.

This thread was started for THE PEOPLE WHO DO LISTEN TO MUSIC up on the Hill...

If you do not listen to music WTFAYPOTT ?????

I called everyone of the Resorts that BOBDEA mentions above, NOT ONE has EVER had a policy against

people using music devices on their mountains, in fact three of the people I talked with laughed, as they said

they use the devices up on the hill. All the Resorts were irritated, that someone would say they have Prohibited

or Banned such devices, when in fact there are people riding all over their slopes without incident...

Apparently Music drives you guys CRAZY and you know that you will crash into someone or they into you or you

will be killed trying to get on a chairlift...wait a minute! This was the same argument the Ski Co. used to keep me

and my SNOWBOARD off Aspen Mt.until 2001...

Ravi Shanker in the Deep Pow is Oh, so Nice !

once again, read the ****ing website links to the resorts that I posted. you called and talked to people? who? do they even ski? ticket sellers and front desk people rarely know on hill policy. if they did the resorts would have about 1/3 the ticketing issues that they do.

same thing goes for leash law and or ski brakes. usually a non issue.

the reason we care so much is it's your carelessness that gets people hurt.

I was a lifty for a long time, people do need their ears on the hill and even more so near lifts. your argument that it's the same argument that was used against snowboards is the most pathetic argument heard here in awhile. please enlighten me with your reasoning behind it.

the reason we care so much is that I hate to be proved wrong

Fixed it for you. While your concern for everyone else on the hill's safety is touching, it is misguided.

Go get a law passed if you want to try to do that. I would say that about 20-30% of the folks on the hill here ride regularly with tunes.

Guess what? They are all still alive. And no one has been hurt.

Softbootsailor strikes me as a reasonable and responsible person, as am I. If I even have a close call, I will rethink this, but it hasn't happened in the last 15 years.

So.....give it a rest Bob.

Fixed it for you. While your concern for everyone else on the hill's safety is touching, it is misguided.

Go get a law passed if you want to try to do that. I would say that about 20-30% of the folks on the hill here ride regularly with tunes.

Guess what? They are all still alive. And no one has been hurt.

Softbootsailor strikes me as a reasonable and responsible person, as am I. If I even have a close call, I will rethink this, but it hasn't happened in the last 15 years.

So.....give it a rest Bob.

how and where was I proved wrong?

it's clearly posted or on a few resort's websites. can't get more right than that.........

You lump everyone who uses a music device together...

no, I do not nor did I ever, you ASSumed that I do. on the lift is fine once you've loaded. riding is not, nor is boarding a lift. even then it's up to the operators discretion to make it a issue. what you consider is people who 1 got hit by a chair, 2, get on a chair they're told not to 3, don't listen when rows are being called.

then, we usually tell these people to not do it again, same dude same issue. pass gets yanked.

when riding and there's a accident this issue does come up too.

same thing goes for people boarding a lift while talking on a phone, if it's a issue then staff often will take action on it. watched a patroller have a fit over something like that. they were loading a toboggan and after I and the patroller told her to stop she ran right into the back of the thing with her phone still to her ear. her response when asked was that she did not hear us. the patroller was BENT, made her watch a safety video to get her pass back. same type of response you get for going too fast. luckily I whacked a stop. had I not it could of been ugly.

I called you careless because you clearly are if you ride with music going or if you board lifts with it. it's safety aspect that's easy to do. you need to be alert. the vast majority of on hill accidents are preventable.

how and where was I proved wrong?

it's clearly posted or on a few resort's websites. can't get more right than that.........

Your quote from the beginning of the thread:

most resorts specifically prohibit you from listening to music while riding.

if you have a accident and the ear buds are seen it will be used against you in court if you end up in court.

bob you said they are prohibited. they are not. not even remotely. not even at one resort.

they are discouraged according to the one you posted up.

I am discouraged, but not giving up. It's different.

You can't force your personal preference on the rest of us. Deal with it.

They are not prohibited. They are not illegal.

To continue to insist so is ASSinine. Don't do it, it only makes you look silly, fascist and uneducated. Sorry but just calling it like I see it.

i think this issue has gone completely polar. though resorts may not ban music players, it really comes down to the responsibility of the rider. if you do have an accident and you are wearing earphones listening to music, be prepared to have that go against you with insurance, legal matters, whatever.

though i don't necessarily think it should be banned, i do think people should be aware of that they are increasing the risk of an accident.

on a side note... people that run on the right side of the road with headphones are really just asking for it :eplus2:

Please do list the Resorts that Prohibit Music devices or Cell Phones below:

BOBDEA's List of Resorts that have Banned or Prohibited music devices (meaning you can not use them on their mountain)

Main Entry: pro·hib·it

Pronunciation: \prō-ˈhi-bət, prə-\

Function: transitive verb

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin prohibitus, past participle of prohibēre to keep off, from pro- forward + habēre to hold — more at pro-, give

Date: 15th century

1: to prevent from doing something b : preclude

perhaps the wrong word? still not really, they don't like it. they would like prevent use of said devices while you're skiing without being complete dicks, like I said before case by case and something terrible has to happen or come close to happening.

being drunk on the hill is the same situation.

softbootsailor, you still have not read the websites that I posted? are you capable?

carvedog, it's not personal preference. it's clearly posted. the resorts don't like it. period. you people are taking it like no players ever. not true, trust me, they'd like to. would help with insurance. There's a massive amount of things resorts don't like and it's written down but don't really enforce. In CA some ski areas don't like guests smoking in lift lines, they sometimes enforce that. the rule is the same pretty much everywhere but not enforced everywhere.

I can't argue about this with people who are not capable of realizing no one at any resort enforces all the rules all the time. it's discretionary and depends on when and where something happens.

softbootsailor, you are not reading my posts, only gleaning what you want so you can stamp your feet and make claims of me lying.

I worked in the ski industry for more than a decade. not as a instructor either, that does not count.

What is Your Problem? Do you drive your car with the music on ?
You can't hear where other vehicles are from inside your car whether the music is on or off, whereas while riding being able to hear greatly improves your safety.
I hear every carve I make all the way down...you are applying knowledge that you do not have...which is how loud I listen to the music. Same in my Car. To remark that I am not riding safely pisses me off as that is not the case...have You ridden with me ever? No, rather you make blanket statements that cover everyone... Here in Aspen on all four Mts. NO ONE HAS MENTIONED BANNING MUSIC or CELL PHONES...OK
You really need to brush up on your reading skills. You asked a question about the difference between driving a car with the music on and listening to headphones while riding it. I answered it, without stating or implying anything about your specific situation. Then you jumped all over me.

When you post a list of resorts and say they Prohibit something...and in fact they do not ! that would be a Lie

I think you're the liar here, there, I said it.

I cited a outside source in writing on the website of two of the said resorts. could not be anymore clear. all we have from you is your word that you talked to sally the girl at the front desk. how can you confirm that?