Note to New Members ×

Camelback users

Bobby Buggs

I ride with a camelback all the time. I wear it under my shell so it doesn't freeze (unless its a warm spring day). I use the smaller size with a 50oz bladder and that is usually a perfect amount for a full day of riding.

Key to keeping it clean is to drain it and dry it. And don't put in anything besides water.

Tiny bit of bleach solution or iodine solution to clean it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key to keeping it clean is to drain it and dry it. And don't put in anything besides water.

Tiny bit of bleach solution or iodine solution to clean it.

Or just throw it in the freezer when you're not using it. I do this, so I don't have to clean mine very often - works like a charm.

I stopped wearing back protection awhile ago because I am a sweaty ape, but started blowing air into my camelbak much the same way. Don't know how much it will help but it certainly beats nothing.

I can vouch for the Camelbak as body armor, after taking a ninja Superman back flip and slam off my mountain bike this summer. I didn't feel a thing, and the bladder (half full at the time) came through unharmed. Camelbak bladders are supposed to be lifetime leak and burst proof, so it might not be a good idea to attempt this with a cheaper version. :)

I ride with a insulated tube style 3 liter Camelbak. Only time I've had it freeze up is when I forgot to blow back into the tube. I'll easily drink 2 liters or more while out riding.

Can't say I've ever noticed a plastic taste. The one time I did is when I made the mistake of adding Gatorade to it. Big mistake, and I had to toss the bladder because it never recovered.

Yeah, the insulated tubes are a big improvement. The uninsulated tubes seem to freeze near immediately. I didn't have much success with blowing the water back into the bladder.

The insulated tubes are available as a retrofit device to the bladder. I swapped mine out and much prefer it. Keeps the first mouthful cool in summer too when biking or whatever.

I use a special plastic coat hanger, which spreads the bag out when not in use. This keeps things relatively in good shape.

Eventually after a couple of years you'll see strange black algae in the bag, and you can then use a couple of teaspoons of bleach/water solution in the bag. That takes care of it, and you are good to go again.

Wow this thread blew up. I use a knock off system that uses a Nalgene bladder. I have NEVER used any cleaner in it. The freezer trick is good if you have the space. If you don't just get an old wire hanger with a plastic bag on it(hanger is pulloed out to be long) and insert it into the bladder and hang dry. They sell something like this but I'm too cheap to buy it. If you use anything else than water, expect the funk. Camel Back sells a "safe" electrolyte drink for bladders. Key is, NO SUGAR!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Camber -- do you hit Seven Springs often? Do you observe the sign "Mandatory: Remove all backpacks" ? I use a Dakine pack that I bought more for use out in Montana next month so it is mostly empty except for the 3 Liter Camelbak bag inside it but they still make you remove it no matter how little is in it and how much it compresses when you sit down. I'm sure I don't stick out as far as some of those chubby ski folks they have. I have seen some folks wear a small Camelbak bag (1 Liter maybe) and aren't required to remove it. I'm thinking of wearing the pack under my coat next time so they don't balk and I don't have to keep removing it. Part of the thrill of hard boots is I don't have to stop at the top of the lift but putting the backpack back on makes me stop and prep -- argh.