Note to New Members ×

weather maps & mountain cams

b0ardski

summer bump;

I'm praying that la nina keeps the atlantic 'caines small and sticks around for winter to bring epic Northwest snows

sat_ir_enh_hem_loop-12.gif

I'm posting this stormsurf jet stream forecast link here because it's by far the most accurate & easy to read 7 day forecast I've ever seen. It should be on the favorites list of everyone who's work or play is weather dependant:biggthump

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/disp...cgi?a=glob_250

• 1 month later...

I skied for the 1st time in '73:biggthump

Modern satellite imagery and long term forecasting through sea temperature analysis are worlds away from the felt boards & marine reports of early '70s.

sstweek_c.gif

According to NOAA, la nina is here and expected to strengthen in the coming months.

After perusing the strong event anomaly graphics from the last 5 decades, it looks like a good year to be in the PNW.

If you like powder that is.

temp_lanina_anim.gif

prec_lanina_anim.gif

nice '70s 'stache

Ron Burgundy had nothing on me.

Those were magnetic numbers stuck on that map. Up until early '76 we still drew fronts, pressure centers, and isobars in Magic Marker on a paper map.

This video was shot in May 1976 and was one of the first times I had a chance to use new "computer" generated graphics.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_pKqkJJ8Ok&hl=en_US&fs=1?border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_pKqkJJ8Ok&hl=en_US&fs=1?border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That polar depression has fully clossed it's circullar pattern, now. Technically it's a hurricane. It would skim the southern part of Charlottes. We might see some snow at the mountain tops as it passes buy. However, as it is veering north, it would move the jet stream with it, so the most of US' PNW will see the rain, I'm afraid.

Damn, just as we've got to about 30cm, and all local peaks white, it is getting warmer! Posible meltdown around 3rd of November, and then getting colder again.

OR, WA and N CA will see some Pinapple Express over the next few days. S BC getting more of the land winds, so far. We ned this new Low to sink further to the south...

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking through climate records and was amazed by the differences (or lack thereof) between la nina/el nino years in snowfall totals for different cities. It seems the inland northwest sees the biggest oscillations from la nina to el nino winters and it looks good for our neck of the woods(if you like powder).

snow_NW_total.gif Mean seasonal snowfall (November - March 1948 through 1993) in inches for selected cities in the northwest U.S. Blue bars are for moderate-strong La Niña years, black bars are for Neutral years, red bars are for moderate-strong El Niño years.

<table width="137" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="white" id="menuitem">

</td> </tr> <tr><td> </td></tr> <tr> <td class="white" id="menuitem">usagov_logo_color_110wb.gif</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="533" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td> HOME > Monitoring and Data > ENSO Impacts on the U.S. > Mean Seasonal Snowfall </td> </tr> <tr><td> </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center"> ENLN_snowfall_header.gif </td> </tr> <tr><td> </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center"> snow_NE_total.gif </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Mean seasonal snowfall (November - March 1948 through 1993) in inches for selected East Coast cities. Blue bars are for moderate-strong La Niña years, black bars are for Neutral years, red bars are for moderate-strong El Niño years.

</td> </tr> <tr><td><hr></td></tr> <tr> <td align="center"> snow_NW_mntn_total.gif </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Mean seasonal snowfall (November - March 1948 through 1993) in inches for selected mountain stations in the northwest U.S. Blue bars are for moderate-strong La Niña years, black bars are for Neutral years, red bars are for moderate-strong El Niño years.

snow_central_total.gif Mean seasonal snowfall (November - March 1948 through 1993) in inches for selected cities in the central U.S. Blue bars are for moderate-strong La Niña years, black bars are for Neutral years, red bars are for moderate-strong El Niño years.

</td> </tr> <tr><td><hr></td></tr></tbody></table>

There's some interesting stuff on the NORA site. La Nina may mean a few more inches of snow for us, but it comes at a terrible price; an average temp increase of nearly four degrees. As most of our snow is man made, any increase in temps, or humidity is very unwelcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...