Note to New Members ×

Ready to go through this again?

martyagt4

I do think it's a good idea to keep the beginner hill separated.

One bunny hill for skier

One bunny hill for snowboarder

At least it would help me greatly when I first started.

The more advance skier/boarder won't even care.

Lots of animosity toward skier were form on the beginner hill for I. Skier cut me off, fall, got the wind knock out of me. Curse skier!! and repeat LOL... good time. I don't know what drive me to keep doing it.

Of course now I have realize that it's stupid to act malevolence toward a group of ppl based on their equipment of choice.

Just a thought.

I've watched my wife get taken out while on skis(tele) by a controlless, obstacle fixated, snowboarder on an otherwise empty run. I've also watched her taken out by a skier when she was on the board.

Better to separate school & non school beginner runs than divide 1 & 2 plankers.

I like the idea of skier only run If there is an equivalent boarder only run, doesn't hurt anyone & makes some people feel better.

Policing it would be a bitch 'cause there'll always be somebody poaching it "just to piss'em off".

It's really just a matter of equity:argue:

Well, I'm never going to ride there, but I sent a letter of disapproval anyway:

Dear Granite Peak Management,

I would like to express my displeasure at your decision to introduce segregated trails on granite mountain, where only skiers are permitted. Skiers and snowboarders have been having fun sharing the mountain with one another for a long time. Enacting this sort of policy may please a few curmudgeonly dyed-in-the-wool misanthropes, but it will be at the expense of another group that vastly outnumbers them: those of us who know how to share and get along. If I were running a mountain and a business, I would have to ask myself: why anger the alienate the masses just to please a few curmudgeons? I know a lot people that won't be spending any money at Granite peak this year.

You may see it as just taking one or two trails away from snowboarders, but you'd be wiser to think of it as snowboarders taking *all* of their money elsewhere. I'm sure your competitors could use the extra income to update their services and amenities. All this does is decrease your revenue, and increase tension between skiers and snowboarders at your resort. A lose-lose proposition for your business.

Are you going to offset these changes by either banning skiers from the park or changing lift tickets prices for snowboarders? What about alpine snowboarders who never ride in the park? Even if you do, it will do little to offset the bad press, general ill will and animosity this sort of decision is bound to create.

Otherwise, the argument that this is because skiers and snowboarders have different rhythms or different turn radiuses is frankly unsupportable. I have snowboarded (both freestyle and alpine) for well over 20 years, and I can match turns with any skier, and I was a skier before I started snowboarding. The claim that skiers and snowboarders are spatially incompatible is hogwash, quite frankly. As long as everyone follows the skiers/riders code of responsibility, everyone is safe. This is not a technical issue, it is an issue regarding the attitude of your management towards snowboarders, and your willingness to jeopardize the enjoyment of many for the few.

This sort of policy sets snowsports back twenty years, everyone else all over the world has learned to grow up and embrace the diversity of snow-sliding equipment out there and have fun together. I suggest you do the same. If you want to revisit the old days when skiers didn't want to get along with snowboarders, fine - but you'll also be revisiting the lean times before snowboarders began infusing your revenues and making the ski industry profitable again.

It's sad to say, but the division between skiiers and boarders will probably never be completely dissolved. This was pretty evident when I went to Vail a few seasons back and had elitist skiiers trying to force me off the side of the mountain. But yet another offered me his pole on a traverse. Some people will always hold on to that grudge. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it can even be seen by some of the response here. There are many here that get it and yet others that seperate themselves. This is really common to any stereotype.

Snowboarding and skiing can really be divided more into styles for classification. There are riders from both sports that adhere to the same style categories. In short:

First there are the skidders or sliders whom can often be unpredictable.

Then there are those that like to charge straight and fast lines.

Finally there are the carvers who carve tighter turns and take up a larger part of the slope.

Of course these are not set in stone and there are many variations and combinations within.

Riders from each group can and most likely will annoy the other two at some point. Someone taking up a large portion of the slope will likely get in the way of someone else's maneuvering, especially someone charging a straighter line. Someone who is unpredictable will annoy everyone else as they are hard to judge when you are passing. And someone who charges will annoy others as they come up fast from behind and cut around others.

The point is that both sports feature people who ride different styles. We should realize that we do not like a specific style as opposed to a specific sport. Style and riding technique has more to do with skill and preference than equipment. We all have to share the mountain together. This means recognizing the riding style of those around you at the moment and compensating your riding to avoid incident the same way you would for varying terrain/conditions. Skiiers ride in the park, boarders can do moguls (me personally not that well), both can go slow or fast while skidding or carving.

I commend those that have written letters pointing out the ignorant decision by this resort. Unfortunately a resort will only listen to one thing, $$. If they lose money due to this it will go away. However if they don't notice a change it may be here to stay. I just hope that attitude doesn't spread. Although mountains like Alta have not let boarders on their slopes at all snowboarding is here to stay and constitutes a large percentage of revenue for many resorts. I would not worry about this concept spreading although I would boycott any mountain that even gave skiiers one board free trail. After all if we are so different than why didn't boarders get 3 runs of their own.

if I looked down one of the runs that was "Skier only", and it was packed, I would smile because I would know that there wasn't any skiers on the rest of the mountain. but, if i looked down that run and there were no skiers on it, I would be angry, because they fought for it, yet nobody is using it.

How many snowboarders are really going to "care" this much about loosing a few trails?

This is the second resort in the midwest to try to enforce a ban of some sort on snowboarders. One areas attempted ban was specifically geared towards hardbooters. They may be enforcing it this year. We don't know yet.

Ask any of us here in MN if we care and the answer is yes we absolutely care. One of our best areas is up our a$$es about how awsome our riding is. They would probably choose different wording.

Apparently skiers can fall into our spectacular ruts and get lost, and possibly injured.

In my opinion everyone of us should be concerned about this new trend.

Not to mention I don't like being treated like a punk high school kid anymore. I grew up a long time ago, kinda.

I am just curious if anyone that contacted Granite Peak had received any kind of personalized response from them? I had heard nothing back until today when I received a copy of the press release that was quoted in the Transworld article at the beginning of the thread here... No other details or even a hint that they even read my original e-mail... Great PR move by Granite Peak :lol::lol::lol::lol::barf:

I am just curious if anyone that contacted Granite Peak had received any kind of personalized response from them? I had heard nothing back until today when I received a copy of the press release that was quoted in the Transworld article at the beginning of the thread here... No other details or even a hint that they even read my original e-mail... Great PR move by Granite Peak :lol::lol::lol::lol::barf:

Ya I got my copy of the same press release I wrote to them about. I was have a stressfull day so this was all it took to fire back and light up thier managment team for the ignorant amatures that they appear to be. Nothing pisses me off more than boilerplate.

They must have waited until they could do a mass mailing. I'm seeing an awful lot of skiers in the park recently. For them to still assume that parks are for snowboards, shows how out of touch they are.

I think it's just a sales ploy in tough times. If they can bring in a few hundred extra skiers because they have skier only runs, that helps the bottom line. The only thing that might change that, is if they loose snowboarders, who avoid the place on principle.

BobD