Note to New Members ×

stance too wide=shinbang?

snowboardfast

I have been having some trouble with shinbang on my rear leg and an thinking that a narrower stance would help solve the problem also I am thinking that maybe my boots are a little too soft and I might stop using BTS to help this out as well? I haven't gotten a lump on my shin but it does get sore and I am not interested in causing a chronic problem. It can happen more when the snow is choppy or in soft choppy spring snow. I hope I can solve this as I can ride any type of snow and would like to continue to do this. I don't remember having a problem with this before I used BTS . Anyone else notice this? I am riding with 3 in front and 6 in back with Bomber bindings so I am not riding flat.

Perhaps the upper padded part of your tongue liner is worn down and you are rubbing the plastic tongue when you pinch the board and get jostled in the crud. It could be also that you need to ride with your weight back a bit to unload the shin a bit in the boot and rely more on quad strength with ankle/tarsel pressure in the boot when blasting thru the chop. I beat myself up good last year on a 190 in similar conditions because the board was too stiff and I couldn't get enough flex in it.

Or it could be "Aliens" came and messed with your board/boots and set them up for riding in the milkyway behind their saucer ship, and forgot to re adjust them when they returned them... but I'm sure Bobdea will de-bunk that as a possible reason. :rolleyes:

I have been having some trouble with shinbang on my rear leg and an thinking that a narrower stance would help solve the problem also I am thinking that maybe my boots are a little too soft and I might stop using BTS to help this out as well? I haven't gotten a lump on my shin but it does get sore and I am not interested in causing a chronic problem. It can happen more when the snow is choppy or in soft choppy spring snow. I hope I can solve this as I can ride any type of snow and would like to continue to do this. I don't remember having a problem with this before I used BTS . Anyone else notice this? I am riding with 3 in front and 6 in back with Bomber bindings so I am not riding flat.

Shin Bang is usally cuased by the boot not by your stance width.

It can also be caused by to stiff a binding paired with a soft boot at incorrect cants.

I would take your set up to a great!!!(not just good) boot fitter and work it out locally.

Your going to get about a zillion "ideas" on this forum, shin bang is very personal and should be delt with in person.........

My inseam is 30" and I have been riding a 20" stance but I tried 18.5 " on Sunday (yes Abasin is open) and was fine with it and I might try this for a while as I used to ride narrower stances on asym boards years ago and don't remember having this problem. Also I felt like I could turn faster with the narrower stance and it did not feel weird compared to what I have been riding. This was after I rode several runs on the 20" stance first. Also last season at Abasin I had the same problem in May with soft spring snow and had to ride soft boots so as not to tear up my shin. This was with a soft board Dupraz D1 but I don't think that matters much as it has happened with stiffer boards as well. I still had the same shin problem with the narrower stance on Sunday and quit earlier than I wanted to to avoid a problem but that is okay. I have intution liners in my boots and they are much thicker than a standard thermoflex liner which helps.

I agree shin bang can be caused by a lot more than just stance width. Until you get it fully sorted out, going narrower may be a quick fix. Then change one thing at a time. I would recommend going as wide as you can without pain. See if you can get back over 19".

the boots are the key to the shin bang. I used to have really bad "bang", and after spending the money on the good molded liners, i have been foot loose and fancy free!! so i say get you're stance back out in the 19s and break out you're wallet on some nice liners, and go see a good boot fitter.

Why would a person with 30" inseam ride a stance over 19", for carving?

Why would a person with 31" inseam ride 19.75"? Oh wait, I do that.

Go as wide as you can without limiting your range of motion or comfort, you'll have better balance. I recommend lifts/cants to get there.

I agree, get moldable liners and get back to us!

when I fist got my BTS I had the same problem.. really bad pain on my rear shin. It was really bad to a point I had to do a donut around pain area to spread the pressure away from it.l

I played a little with the BTS setup to give me boot more forward lean and it helped a lot, now it's all good.. maybe a little at the beggining of the season and then I'm set.

Go as wide as you can without limiting your range of motion or comfort, you'll have better balance. I recommend lifts/cants to get there.

let's churn the can of worms) after some 6 seasons with lifts and cants, and two - over 180 days in them - without -- I can definitely suggest my positive experience: go as wide as you can without limiting your range of motion - without using any lifts and cants. it's one of a kind of possible directions

PS 31" inseam, 28EU boots, 19.7-20" former stance (+2 front toe lift, +5 rear heel lift, +2 rear rearward cant, 63-60 usually) --> 19-19.1" completely flat (65-60). happy

Of the local HBers in my neck of the woods I think I ride the "funkiest" HB stance

31"ish inseam, 22" stance width, 5-8* splay and a flat flat combo. I jump from 19cm to 27cm waist width no problems.

Have never had shin bang with my cowboy/caveman stance, I am very particular about my boot fit though

The advent of BTS made life even better.

The only time I ever got close to shin bang was a bunch of years ago before my skills caught up to my gear, stiff boots in the "lock" position that I was unable to flex properly caused some shin issues for a while.

D*

with my own shins and working in shops it's usually boot fit. same rules apply to us as for skiers boot as far as I can see unless your canting or stance are WAY off in which case you'd probably feel it other than shin bang anyway.

for my own shins a booster strap helps, tongue liners as opposed to wrap liners also help but this is limited to me. My specifics are that I have high volume feet and am a "nightmare" for fitters. I do most of my own fitting and that does help a lot. at least I got something out of my first real job other $6.50 a hour.

there's lots of things that can cause bang, most are fitting issues.

As Bordy had stated, shin bang is primarily caused by the boot. Make sure that the boot cuff area around the shin and calves is evenly buckled and that there is no empty space between the liner and your shins. Go see an experienced boot fitter and have them assess the problem with the fit.

Stance widths will vary greatly as many variables can affect the selected width other than just inseam length alone. Your choice of heel/toe lift, boot flex, and binding angles will all play part in the stance width.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies. I have been riding 18.5" stance for a while on 2 diffrent boards to see what it will do in regards to shinbang. Have spent several days doing this and went back to my original 20" today which is much better. I was losing my ability to turn well toeside with the narrower stance. Also the shinbang problem was mostly due to not riding properly. Maybe I can get better this year? Have been riding bombers for years although tried last year riding flat with Nidecker bail bindings for a while. Am back to 3 and 6 with Bomber td3 and stepin. I also put in more foward lean in the rear boot to see what that will do.so far so good. Now If I could just carve better on hard snow? Probably me and not the gear. I will demo some more metal boards this year to see If it helps. If not than at least I will know.