Note to New Members ×

Run What Ya' Brung

Rob Stevens

Heated bases? When I was speedskating some of the guys were toying with the idea of putting a heating element on the blade to make it warm enough to melt the ice touching the blade and create a thin layer of water between the blade and the ice, which theoretically show reduce friction and increase edge hold making the skater faster. It's also against the rules but in the interests of research we were curious as to how much of a performance change it would have...So would that work for snowboarding too?

that's actually what happens anyway and why extremely cold snow is so slow because it happens less and you get static. at least this is my understanding.

when you have too much water is when the flouro needs to come out

I'm guessing it's why skates are fast on ice but slow on concrete

Disagree 100%. It's not a trend, the new shapes work better. That is a verifiable fact.

Just brings a tear to my eye to hear anyone on this site say so.

I tried so hard to prove this statement for years now....

Immm just so..., so well proud of the growth here on the board:p

Disagree 100%. It's not a trend, the new shapes work better. That is a verifiable fact.

glad you can be so sure, but you are wrong - me is not you) or you think that BETTER FOR ALL is a real point? sorry - but i've liven in soviet union - and can prove that that formula do not work. not A functor - only E

PS I rode some days on sg/kessler titanals. seems like not butter for my bread.

Much of the Fortress roadwork was completed last summer, in part as preparation for shooting scenes for "Inception", a new DiCaprio movie.

The character played by Michael Caine has his mountaintop lair of evil up on the ridge, between the front and backsides.

I would like to try some Kessler race stock. It would be funny to film it reverse angle. The look on my face would be pure terror, I'm sure, but it sounds like the kind of ride that would get you up to speed in a very sneaky way. Well above treeline, on a w i d e run would probably not be a bad idea either.

Billy... I'm probably in SLC this Feb to shred with some friends. You around? I'd be down for some coaching, if you had the time.

what makes you so different?

it so simple -I'm not limited by external forces like fashion-efficiency-competition - only my own drive to experiment. and i'm strongly believe that the rule "what's good for wc rider must be good for all" is vaporware sale slogan - because truth of the matter is it can be good to game insiders - i never said that kessler is wrong - but i can say that it's NOT BUTTER FOR MY BREAD. i'm sure it's must for wc - but i'm not anywhere near and not wannabe - so what?

what's your interest in cloning be-the-same-kessler-and-alike-like team for yet one fellow carver not interested in top level competitionness?

PS now enjoyed boards: coiler am for moguls - mainboard, coiler 196pr & pogo overdose - on no-powder days, swallowtails else. overdose is lotta much funnier than all alus i'm ride to day - and counting

glad you can be so sure, but you are wrong - me is not you) or you think that BETTER FOR ALL is a real point? sorry - but i've liven in soviet union - and can prove that that formula do not work. not A functor - only E

PS I rode some days on sg/kessler titanals. seems like not butter for my bread.

I can say for certain that the newer "decambered nose" design is better for all alpine snowboards.

The new school race sidecuts with multiple radii and mega taper are better for GS and SL racing, and race-inspired freecarving. This is quantifiable. For steep ice where I want my shorter boards to hook around, I still like my single radius boards.

it so simple -I'm not limited by external forces like fashion-efficiency-competition - only my own drive to experiment. and i'm strongly believe that the rule "what's good for wc rider must be good for all" is vaporware sale slogan - because truth of the matter is it can be good to game insiders - i never said that kessler is wrong - but i can say that it's NOT BUTTER FOR MY BREAD. i'm sure it's must for wc - but i'm not anywhere near and not wannabe - so what?

Because... it still makes a big difference?

I know an old professor who's a pretty solid squash player... and uses one of those old, crappy wooden squash racquets.

Could professional squash players from back in the day play squash really well with those racquets? Yes.

Can my friend play pretty well with that old racquet? Yes.

Is my friend totally uninterested (as a point of pride!) in buying one of those new fancy "metal squash racquets" that everyone else now uses? Yes.

Would he be better if he bought a new racquet? Absolutely.

You're in the same boat. ;)

greg

Every year they guy who starts the "old gear still rips" thread seems to have no experance on new gear so how is it a true educated statement, versis propaganda????

I know! What kind of experance could they guy possibly have? I know I gots lots of experance. And Tex, he's got lots of experance too. I mean you got this veris that and his statement versis yers. As an experanced BOLer I say they statement is extremely versis all to getter.

I've also learned that the "duck" stance is out and "pigeon toed" is in.

.. to sit with some grizzlies.

Sorry... Terekhov...

:) you always can contact me through PM here on any topic in which I can be useful. and yes, no grizzlies around - and in kamchatka too - just lotta much plain usual bears

2all: don't bother, I completely understood it 's too tempting to be one right thing for all to unknown newcomer. let's me school me myself, I like it that way. thank you. I have decambered nose for years on my first swallowtail, and possibly want it on my new allmountain project due next year. not wanting to go titanal though - I like my boards to stay strong for hundreds of abusive days and be very lively ride, not only be a magnificent first 20 days damp carver - there's no icy or any WC-like slopes in places where I prefer to ride. thank you again, I told my views only to state that you are not 100% correct to state the ultimate truth - any time you want to state it.

photodad - you might consider using Firefox as an internet browser, it has a built-in spell-checker that highlights spelling mistakes as you type. Although it doesn't check grammar, so it won't help when you type things like "give my your basic..."

terekhov - we are talking about race snowboards, on-piste freecarving snowboards, and on/off-piste freecarving snowboards, for use with hardboots, in this forum. On those snowboards, the decambered nose is the way to go, it's not a matter of taste. It's a progression of the state of the art, much like shaped skis were for skiing. In many cases, multi-radii sidecuts work better too. Swallowtails and freeride boards may be discussed in the Off-Topic forum.

terekhov - we are talking about race snowboards, on-piste freecarving snowboards, and on/off-piste freecarving snowboards, for use with hardboots, in this forum. On those snowboards, the decambered nose is the way to go, it's not a matter of taste. It's a progression of the state of the art, much like shaped skis were for skiing. In many cases, multi-radii sidecuts work better too. Swallowtails and freeride boards may be discussed in the Off-Topic forum.

Are we moving this thread to the off topic forum?

I didn't start this to discuss alpine boards. If anything, it was to look at steering and carving without the aid of bindings.

It did drift to boards and alpine when Billy jumped in, thinking that I was somehow beating up on "new designs" from an unknowing perspective, because I stopped HBing in the late 90's.

If, however, you all insist on talking about boards, there is one segment of board shape design that has gone forwards, backwards, forwards and backwards over the course of our brief history and that's powder boards.

photodad - you might consider using Firefox as an internet browser, it has a built-in spell-checker that highlights spelling mistakes as you type. Although it doesn't check grammar, so it won't help when you type things like "give my your basic...".

Are you really not getting it? :D ;)

Now, come on! You would have to move at least 1/4 of this forum into Off-Topic. We discuss the freeride stuff on daily basis. Many members still use hard boots on those setups. I carve my swally and I carve my freeride board, whenever I have the opportunity. Oh, almost forgot, I carve on my softies too...

Rob, your posts typically relate to carving or inspire carving discussions like this one, so we hadn't moved it.

BB, no, I don't understand PD's typing at all! ;) And if you ride it with hardboots, then it can be discussed here. We don't monitor this forum for OT posts all the time, that would be impossible. But talking about freeriding in softboots is most definitely OT. Carving in softboots, not OT.

photodad - you might consider using Firefox as an internet browser, it has a built-in spell-checker that highlights spelling mistakes as you type. Although it doesn't check grammar, so it won't help when you type things like "give my your basic...".

Oh, I was just showing the double standards and hypocracy by members who refuse to use the same standards against their fellow lackies. I should have just posted a video of "Tank 'Bordy' Evans" from Surfs Up. It could have been just as effective. See a while back I a had a miss spelled word and several of Bordy's brown nosers came to point fingers. It's just the same old same old.

How did my pleasant NoBoarding thread get to this point?

Will someone please ask "How is this excellent shredding possible?"

**Oh yeah... The new NoBoard vid "Hack Your Shackles" is in the video section of this site.

Dude, I am totally impressed. The closest thing I've done to that is riding an old 84 Burton Performer with just the rubber binding you kicked your feet into. It's definately wicked awesome and I'd love to give it a go if only we got more powder around here. Has anyone taken on out on groomers to see what they could do?

Old technology gets a pretty rough ride when it comes to its percieved ability to show a rider a good time.

Reading some posts, you might get the impression that, unless you're on the newest equipment, you are doing yourself a disservice.

That said, every board out there has a turn it likes to do. If that is the kind of turn you like to do, then you're in business.

The link below removes one seemingly critical element of technology, yet still leaves performance intact.

No bindings? No problem.

You can get good on ANYTHING.

Rob,

How is this excellent shredding possible?!!!!:eek:;):biggthump

Every time I see a No Board vid I wonder how soft and deep the snow has to be for it to work, and if you could set up a massive plank for it and do some cross stepping.

How did my pleasant NoBoarding thread get to this point?

Its cause most everyone is chomping at teh bit to get on snow as we are like crack heads needing a fix after spending 6 months in "re-tox/rehab / recovery" from last season!

No worries, some of us are still enjoying this "surf on snow: thread!

But talking about freeriding in softboots is most definitely OT. Carving in softboots, not OT.

never to be in dispute with moderator BUT)))) would you be so kind to point me - where I told anything about softboots?? sure I ride hardboots almost all the time, and sorry but cannot stand your offtopic rant coz this Rob's topic is about "what ya brung'" - and this is definitely my point too - not about on-piste riding in hardboots and sure not about kesslerese tech - and why don't you think I'm offtopic more than some other guys here?.. in starting video Rob is freeriding in soft boots, BTW)

Rob,

Every time I see a No Board vid I wonder how soft and deep the snow has to be for it to work, and if you could set up a massive plank for it and do some cross stepping.

The steeper the terrain becomes, the deeper the snow needs to be. In braking, the tail will sink into the snow quite a bit (especially if your board is tapered) and if the tail hits firm snow underneath, it's all over.

If it's flat, you won't be braking or pivoting as hard, so the snow depth can be pretty minimal.

Tail braking, by sinking the tail with sharp rearward pressure, can be more controllable than pivoting (trying to turn sideways). Anytime you challenge the "shear" force on the NoBoard pad, you could have slippage. Pushing straight down reduces that chance.

Truthfully, though, when you figure it out, pivoting in the unweighted moments, you can bring it around quickly and without much drama, rotating or counter-rotating.

20 cm's will do on flatter terrain, like golf courses. Bear in mind, you want to know what's underneath. 30 - 40 cm's will get you onto some pretty steep stuff, with blower pow necessary to tackle the gnar, especially if falling is not really an option.