Note to New Members ×

Bummin

big mario

It seems to me that Bummin', though a quiet period might help soothe the soul, is when you give up and drop out.

I strongly suspect t you won't do either of those things - like most of the hardebooters who've discussed job woes recently. We're just too driven and hard-charging a group for that.

I'm movin' along with my budding cottage industry, and just accomplishing anything can help boot you out of the "blues" and make you feel better.

Networking and job-seeking groups can really help, too. Lots of people in Possum's Pouch have gotten jobs after going through the interview and resume' development coaching offered by several organizations 'round here.

My wife's been 'cold calling' influential "movers" recommended by her former supervisors. It's a bitch, but it's leading to good leads and some interviews.

Best of luck. Hope to see your "subtle" ripping on the slopes this year.

BB

Thanks BB,

In a way I am feeling relieved, Thursdays and Fridays when the site schedule came out or the projectect coordinators came out to do their visits were getting way too stressful. Now that it is done I can get on with the next chapter. It just took me by suprise, I was on the schedule for 2 sites next week, and was working on the logistics of moving all of my tools from one job to the next. I thought I was safe for at least another week, and then HR's Explorer pulled up and I knew it was my turn. When it was all over, he thanked me for not tossing him off a second floor balconey. Not that I would do that, that wouldn't have been very subtle:eplus2:

mario

Sorry to hear that.

My company went through a lay off back on January 20. About 35 people got laid off (10% of the work force). We lost a lot of people that day, including 2 directors and at least 4 or 5 managers. My lab/department lost about 50% of its people (6 out of 13 people gone).

Work hasn't been the same, and the people that are left have definitely changed. The friendly comradery has disappeared.

The thing that pissed me off was that our parent company (Quest Diagnostics) reported great Fourth, First, and Second quarter earnings and is only trading $3-$4 away from its 52 week high of $59.

Sorry to thread jack here...

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully this recent summer rally of the stock market holds and is an indication of better things to come.

Baton down the hatches and prepare for the worst scenario. If you find other work, that is great. If not, you'll be ahead of the game. Figure out how your State's unemployment works and the federal extensions (you may need them). There's a lot of federal help with health insurance as well. Good luck.

On the positive side, you may make a lot of use of a season pass this winter :)

BobD

Sorry buddy. Maybe it's the universe telling you it's time to open up a BBQ joint. I think Colorado would be better off for it. :)

Mmmmm, Big Mario's Big BBQ. I'd eat there, for sure!

Mate, sorry to hear that bad news, but you're an experienced guy who will be very valuable to your new team. It will be tough (and I don't envy anyone who is laid off) but it will also open up new opportunities and hopefully it will all turn out positively at the end of the day.

Mario, sorry to hear about the layoff.

Just a thought. Perhaps BOL members could share job openings in their companies or updates about industries of interest in their areas.

Example, Port of Portland

Wide variety of jobs, it has been very thin lately with some layoffs (quite rare), however, there is almost alway job postings of some kind.

Basically network opportunities. Helps to have a little "Insider" info?

Hopefully you can either find a job quickly or enjoy the winter season and unemployment.

Take care.

So for the first time since the winter of '93 I had no where I had to be today. It was a strange feeling to say the least. I went down to my former employers office and picked up my last checks, and filed for unemployment. Fellow LCI'ers Dustin and Monodude have offered me a few days worth of work, and I found out that my layoff is job attached, so things are looking up a bit. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I wish the snow was flying, it would be really nice to be making turns during the week with no one around, so instead I guess I will just have to do a mountainbike ride tomorrow morning to soothe my soul, it will be tough without anyone else on the trail;)

mario

That sucks Mario!

But it may just be the push you needed to do something you might really enjoy. You deserve it. Take some time to think what that might be, throw your skill sets out to your global network of friends, collect their ideas a suggestions, then get after it. Or contract your services back to the Company at say $125/hr. They will likely need the expertise and without the overhead you'd be a bargain, and pocketing some nice coin on your terms. I think you may look back someday and realize this was the best thing that could have happened.

In the meantime know that we'll all be pullin for you!

so sorry to read that Mario! best wishes on a new placement... seems the newspapers are saying the economy is turning around. doesn't seem to be happening though... you're the second person very recently i've heard to be laid off. when we initially hit this 5 people close to me lost their jobs.. hopes for the best for all concerned.

The company I work for just announced it is closing one of our facilities in San Jose, getting rid of about 600 people in the next few months. The outfit being shut down was known as Kaiser before we bought them. Within the prior several months we had RIFd (Reduction In Force) about 1,000 people. This latest thing brings us to about 1600 out the door. I'm at the point of not wanting to say anything when I see stupid stuff that needs to be fixed because I fear that I'm going to step on the toes of some 'golden boy' who would rather get me RIFd than admit he's screwed up.:smashfrea

• 2 weeks later...
I'm at the point of not wanting to say anything when I see stupid stuff that needs to be fixed because I fear that I'm going to step on the toes of some 'golden boy' who would rather get me RIFd than admit he's screwed up.:smashfrea

I know that I made a few friends through the years with my subtlety:eplus2: which I am sure did not help me in the end.

Justin, sorry to hear that, and good luck in you newest endeavour, at least you'll have some real mountains to ride again

mario

well, I just got laid off today. The job was supposed to last five months, making it worth losing my place on the union bench, to take it. It lasted two months and now I have gone from #12 on the bench to #547. That means I might not work as an electrician again for 3 years. Construction unemployment rates in MN are between 40 and 50 percent. Those that are working are often short on hours or taking weeks off at a time. So the true rate of construction unemployment may be well over 60 %.

Guess I need a New career.

BobD

Sorry to hear you have become a statistic, hopefully you will not remain #547for very long. Though I have had to cut back drasticly, no new boards, very glad I got my pass last May, I have been sleeping much better now that the ax has fallen, and my home punch list has gotten smaller. I am hoping that things turn around and I do get called back in Feb., but I may need to start thinking of an alternate career as well.

Justin,

Bequia is beautiful, back in the olden days when I was way flush, my Honi and I spent 10 days in the Grenadines and thourghly enjoyed it. Congratulations on your pending nupitals, and good luck on your new career

Bob,

I thought Aspen was recession proof with all of that Hollywood and oil money, but I guess this mess is much deeper than the pockets of the very rich. Good luck, and if you are in the mood for some early season slumming, I will be doing a bunch of mid week riding on the divide starting in October @ Lovey

mario