Note to New Members ×

For you tanker and other longboard types: A new option:`

tex1230

One of the regulars over at TGR has a new company - check the 205 Big Twin!!!

if you're on TGR his name over there is doughboyshredder - if not, I'd be happy to get you his contact info - says he'll have a website up shortly and is currently taking orders with 50% deposit

he has some interestng variable sidecut geometry on the long sticks - looks like avg about 12m

String's Mountain Molester:

3764563807_5fbd0be0ae_b.jpg

available in 156,161,166,167,171,177 customer determined width.

My Big Twin:

3765360368_dd297fa8cb_b.jpg

available in 175,185,195,205

and last, but definitely not least, the Pow Reaper

3764564039_952b566b9e_b.jpg

I am doing pre orders until the end of september. I am requiring a 50% deposit, and intend to deliver the first 50 boards by the first week of December. I am having an open house / bbq out here in North Bend on August 22nd. I will have samples of all three of these boards for those of you that are local and want to check the boards and the press, etc.. out before ordering.

So, there it is. I am giving it a shot.

Oh, and here is a pic of the press that I built

3184478750_be939b29cf_b.jpg

ahh, the classic fire-hose pneumatic press. hope he puts a metal sheet between the board and all that rectangular bar stock.

It's a pretty common press design Jack. A gator track or bar blanket is used in just about every ballonn press used. He does not appear to have heated the press although it could be added at a later day. He'll undoubtedly be putting a caul plate on top of the board before pressing which will eliminate any impression from the gator track. This looks to be a fixed cavity design, but it may open and close like a clam shell or scissor press. Without seeing the back side, it's tough to tell.

Yup. I wonder how long it takes him to turn all those bolts when adjusting camber.

If he's using a cantenary curve, it's probably as simple as adjusting the center to the height he wants and then dialing down the nuts on all the others. It could probably be done with a blow gun applied to the correct side of the nut.

If he's using a cantenary curve, it's probably as simple as adjusting the center to the height he wants and then dialing down the nuts on all the others. It could probably be done with a blow gun applied to the correct side of the nut.

Sean, thanks for the comments on the presses. It is helpful.

What do YOU believe is state of the art in terms of flexibility, change up speed, production ease etc?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Bryan

I use a scissor press with my own tooling system that allows for size changes in 3 minutes. We can lay up a 150, put it in the press, lay up a 200, pull the 150 retool and press the 200. It's very fast and flexible. Adjusting camber is a bit more difficult though.

anyone remember the fist person to build commercially with a pneumatic/firehose press????:ices_ange

The first balloon press I saw was made by Matt Nipper at Aggression. It was probably in 1989 to 1990. The first Clam shell balloon press I saw was made by Rob Price at White Elephant in Calgary. That was about 1994 or 1995. I doubt they were the first to do it, but they were the first I witnessed.

I forgot how great this place is. You guys rock.

About the press. Here is a thread from ski builders on the whole build process: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1465

I built it with hydraulic rams to raise the entire top block. Makes it easier to load the cassette in for pressing. It is heated. I have two 240v 10amp heat blankets, each controlled by it's own p.i.d. so minor camber adjustments can be done by heat differential. Major camber adjustments are actually surprisingly easy. I have never used the word cantenary, but I guess that's what it is. I have the ends of the steel plates loosely bolted down with adjustment slots cut in to the steel. I basically raise the center bolts until the camber is what I want and then bring each of the other bolts up to touch the steel plate. All of the bolts are double nutted and only hand tight. I press at about 70 psi, and have zero deflection. Everything comes out perfectly flat crosswise. I press with three aluminum sheets and the heatblanket between the cat track and the top of the laminate. On one board I left one of the aluminum sheets out, and there was some press through of the cat track pattern, so I have to make sure that does not happen.

I worked at A.S.M. way back in the day, and built a ton of boards, over the years I have kept riding and reading a bunch about board design, composites, etc... I have always wanted to do this, and I am excited to finally be able to, and to hopefully pass my stoke along.

The site is getting there. At least I have the main page, the pow reaper, and the big twin done. http://www.doughboysnowboards.com/

http://www.doughboysnowboards.com/powreaper.html

http://www.doughboysnowboards.com/bigtwin.html

f.y.i. for you trench diggers I can go narrower than 24cm, I just don't have a good reference point for how the flex of the board is affected with narrower widths than that in relation to the thickness of the core. Anyone that knows what they want in these regards, I can and will gladly build it.

Straight Line is my sidecut geometry that I designed last year. I divide the sidecut in to four equal sections. The two center sections are then converted in to two straight lines that resemble a bigger sidecut than the other two sections. This design allows for incredible edgehold, because you actually have six contact points on each edge, but they are not so pronounced that they cause your board to squiggle down the run. This design also changes the way your board responds based on your weighting. Hauling ass and need to change directions slightly? Roll over on to your heels or toes with weight centered and you're engaging the bigger section of the sidecut. Need to crank around the tree in your path all of a sudden? Shift your weight forward and engage the tighter radius by driving your turn through the tip.

I am so confident with this technology that I am not offering any board without it, except for full customs.

Really stoked that you guys are in to it. Hopefully as we grow and get more of these out, we will build up a good following.

I'm pretty sure that Dimitrije Milovich was using one in the early 80's I know Flite had one by the beginning of 1987 though I have no idea if Stevie was the first to copy him

I had a tour of the Winterstick factory in December of 1977 by Dmitrie, Renee (Sessions) and Don (Moss). Milovich showed me 2 presses he was using but I had no idea what I was looking at then. But, I remember being shown the presses during a production run and I can remember heat coming from them. I'm sorry that I cannot verify if the presses were firehose or balloon presses. I've heard 2 different stories as to where those presses ended up and both stories and presses don't have a happy ending.

As to Doughboy Snowboards, I'm very excited for a new 'longboard' boardmaker and I wish you well, sir.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you guys know that the site is up and running. Not quite perfect, but for the most part its pretty damn good.

Also wanted to let you guys know that I am doing a one day cat trip at Mt. Bailey this winter for the first 10 people that confirm purchase. I currently have 2 confirmations and a few almost confirmed.

I don't want to seem all spammish and ****, but I thought you guys would be interested.

I just wanted to let you guys know that the site is up and running. Not quite perfect, but for the most part its pretty damn good.

Also wanted to let you guys know that I am doing a one day cat trip at Mt. Bailey this winter for the first 10 people that confirm purchase. I currently have 2 confirmations and a few almost confirmed.

I don't want to seem all spammish and ****, but I thought you guys would be interested.

Nice perk! Any chance of making a big split board like Venture?

boardski, I am only offering custom graphics on full custom builds, as I want to try and build up brand recognition. I am however, willing and able to change background colors, etc at no cost.

PO6781, as far as splits are concerned, I am going to wait until I have enough of a reputation that Voile will be happy to get my call. In the meantime I might build boards with a "split ready" option to help facilitate post manufacture conversions, and then work with another company to install the voile hardware.

I am hearing a lot of interest in splits. I know I love mine, when I'm not feeling lazy. Hopefully there will be a future for us in that market.

I've been wasting $ on new twintip skis & skiboot deals this summer but I really want a big twin, my '92 grocer's pretty tired and 178 oxygen is too wide.

Hoping have the 50% down for a 185 by Oct. if thats not too late for this season. I like the green for this year cause I'm feelin the pinch, want to go for a full custom 205 next year after getting a good feel for the ride.

p.s. I'd be interested in a split also

f.y.i. for you trench diggers I can go narrower than 24cm, I just don't have a good reference point for how the flex of the board is affected with narrower widths than that in relation to the thickness of the core. Anyone that knows what they want in these regards, I can and will gladly build it.

It's my understanding that stiffness varies linearly with width (half as wide = half as stiff, all other things being equal) and it varies with the square of the thickness (twice as thick = 4x as stiff). Hopefully if that's wrong someone here will correct me...

Do you have a jig to measure the stiffness of a board? If you do, I have a handful of alpine boards I could bring over for you to measure to get some reference points. (Maybe on the day your open house, though I have a couple other things to juggle that weekend so maybe not.)

Anyway, I'm guessing that if you figure out the math, and have some reference boards to compare stiffness against, you'll get the stiffness you want, after building a couple prototypes to get dialed in.

boardski, I am only offering custom graphics on full custom builds, as I want to try and build up brand recognition. I am however, willing and able to change background colors, etc at no cost.

PO6781, as far as splits are concerned, I am going to wait until I have enough of a reputation that Voile will be happy to get my call. In the meantime I might build boards with a "split ready" option to help facilitate post manufacture conversions, and then work with another company to install the voile hardware.

I am hearing a lot of interest in splits. I know I love mine, when I'm not feeling lazy. Hopefully there will be a future for us in that market.

If you get down to Oregon maybe some demos on the longboards? We have alot of Radair fans local and could some side by side rides on the 2k tankers vs your 205 ? It would be a lot of fun! I have last years 2k tanker but really in the market for a big split to use on a dream BC tour trip this next winter (icefall lodge). I have been looking at venture's 182 rockered split. We got to ride proto rockered tankers before final release this last year and all really liked the design.

Any thoughts on the "rockered concept" ?

Jim

Any thoughts on the "rockered concept" ?

Jim

I've been resistant, but after a lot of hemming and hawing I just built new tip and tail blocks for the big twins that have a 5mm rise over ten centimeters before the the radius starts. I also built new tip blocks for the reaper with a 1cm rise over ten centimeters. Another option to add to the order form.