Note to New Members ×

Charcoal BBQ anyone?

mr_roboteye

I use Royal Oak Hardwood briquettes in my weber bullet for smoking, with oak or cherry trim scraps. I use my natural gas grill for quick and dirty grilling, and I also make up smoker packs when I am feeling lazy on the gas grill. I have done ribs, brisket, shoulder, beer butt ducks and chicken, prime rib, lamb on the smoker. I like to make my own rubs and sauces, and of course drink quality cold beer when I am cooking. I like to keep my temps nice and low, ~200f for up to a day depending on the cut. I use wood for art, and gas for utility. Oh, and I use a chimney

mario

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grill all year round on a classic Weber. Gas is for girlymen and divorcees. I'm saving up for this smoker/grill/oven:

BGE_lg9883---edited.gif

www.biggreenegg.com.

I am a little lazy though and I use regular old Kingsford briquettes and lighter fluid. Sue me. Yeah, I'll get a lighter chimney soon. When I'm feeling fancy I'll spring for the lump hardwood charcoal. But I love throwing wet mesquite or hickory chips on the coals. Also a friend cut down a couple apple trees and gave me some of the wood. I'll throw a quarter log on the coals and put the cover on and that gives some real nice flavor.

Try this marinade for Salmon:

1/2 c. soy sauce

1/2 c. maple syrup

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp crushed garlic

a few dashes of hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot) to taste (the marinade isn't supposed to be that spicy, the maple should be the dominant flavor).

Jack -- I like your Smoker/ grill pick but anyone who marinades a salmon should have their lift ticket and riding privileges taken away. Salmon should be grilled/smoked only with alder wood.. a little seasoning and pepper is all you need. Unless you are talking the fake farm raised salmon which is chemically color altered and or the weird fish called Atlantic Salmon which is not as tasty as a Pacific salmon.. :D:D

1/2 c. soy sauce

1/2 c. maple syrup

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp crushed garlic

a few dashes of hot sauce

similar to my rib roast marinade, w/out the maple. add double the crushed ginger to garlic, any blush wine instead of maple, teryaki soy for sweet (not the thick stuff), 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp worsteshire, 2tsp wasabi/horse radish.

the real trick to get the flavor deep into the meat is to plunge a sharp pairing knife every couple inches and insert 1 sliver each of garlic & ginger into knife hole.

Starting to drool just thinking about it:p

C5 is right if a bit of a purist, good salmon should be simple; maybe as a glaze rather than marinade:biggthump

You use lighter fluid?:barf: and I'm the girlyman?:eek:

You use lighter fluid?:barf: and I'm the girlyman?:eek:

bah. it burns off. I usually wait about 20-30 minutes after lighting before cooking. I do want a chimney starter though. Makes sense.

Jack -- I like your Smoker/ grill pick but anyone who marinades a salmon should have their lift ticket and riding privileges taken away.

don't love it till you try it.

Propane burns clean and makes it really easy to regulate the temperature which will result in better tasting cooked food. Propane adds no flavor.

Wood smoke (from dried woods) adds flavor but takes practice to get the temp right.

Charcoal briquettes have all kinds of additives in them. If not allowed to burn completly before cooking they can impart gross (to me) flavors to the food. Most people use lighter fluid to start briquettes, yuk - while fun for pyros like me I don't like that stuff around my food.

I like combining propane and wood for everyday grilling. A little cast iron box loaded with soaked hardwoods will add lots o flavor to everything that you cook....and it's easy to clean up too. The little boxes are easy to find at hardware stores and are cheap. My propane grill is a monster. I bought the most BTU's I could get with brass burner parts (for longevity).

For large cooking like whole pigs, lamb, large beef cuts etc. I build a temporary above ground "pit" out of either wood, rocks or both and have a barrel on the side for producing the coals. That's for parties of over 100.

Don't buy BBQ sauces. Packaging food for long term shelf life has the tendency to destroy flavors. Make your own and you will be much happier. This is when that little side burner on a propane grill comes in handy.

And above ALL else, keep a beverage close by while cooking outdoors. It keeps the fire gods happy and makes your food taste better.

Well, my grill wasn't...... a montser, initially, until I put a "chip" on it :ices_ange. With the help of dremel tool and the small drills that came with it (0.1 or 0.2) I opened up the injector holes a bit :biggthump. Now the flavorizer barrs go red :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:. Just need to make sure that there is enough oxygen as well.

Millen

"And above ALL else, keep a beverage close by while cooking outdoors. It keeps the fire gods happy and makes your food taste better."

A must if the chips/chunks catch flame:flamethro

flippin' REDNEK MEATS swiss style brats between sips,tokes,posts, it's 4:20 here

Back in the good ole' days, my dad used to fire up the Weber pit w/ 87 octane and the flick of a wrist of the xtra long fireplace matches.......of course you had the off chance where the fire didn't hit Chernobyl right away so you'd inch closer and then.........WHOOOOMP.....no more eyebrows, eyelashes, half a forearm of arm hair.....I didn't realize until I was 16 that there was Match Light, lighter fluid or just using a match and newspaper. Fortunately, the PBR tallboys were near by so you could pour them over your charred bits. To this day, my strong affinity to PBR is pure. :flamethro

Love the replies boys, keep it comin'.

It's great to talk about something that just tastes freakin' awesome while drinking some booze and irritating your old lady. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Happy gas and wicked charcoal grillin' to all,

later,

Dave R.

Did some steaks last nite. A little local market has some pre rubbed with their own peppercorn creation. Damn it was good. Grilled over lump charcoal with wet hickory chips for smoke. Came out medium well. That reminds me I gotta clean the ashes out of the Q from last night...........

I'm gonna grab some masala and tandoori breasts' and wings from an Indian guy who runs a little meat shop by my parents' place. ( ha-ha, I said "grab" and "breasts" in the same sentence, and you didn't notice.)

later,

Dave R.

This is a link to the best accessory, it is a dual probe wireless digital thermometer. One probe to monitor the cooking chamber temperature and the other for the meat temperature. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediChek-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49

Had one of these on my list for awhile. I'll be able to drink beer wirelessly.

later,

Dave R.

I guess I got a little lazy over the years - got myself a big gas BBQ... With Coquitlam zoning regulations and my big elevated deck, it was the only solution, I guess...

However, I really do prefer the charcoal BBQ, whole experience and flavor that comes with it.

On the side note, I almost set my sailboat on fire once, by using charcoal BBQ on the rear bench instead of suspending of the rail like everybody does...

My real favorite BBQ technique is the open grill thrown over 4 rocks over hot coals left from wood-burning camp fire! Do it real bushman style - all the rest is for sisies!

As the fuel, nothing beats old dried out grape vine and olive wood. Of course, you have to be on a semi-deserted island in Med, with the stars as illumination and crickets and cicadas as the music... Of course, I would be BBQing freshly caught fish, with olive oil, parsley and garlic as the only spices. Bon-tone call for white wine, but you should be definitelly drinking red from local vinyards.

Ah, almost forgot - you have to be in the company of a beautifull, dark-haired, Mediterranean girl, whose skin saw only the sea water for several days... ;)

Simillar to the above.

Replace the Med scenery with South African bush, olive wood with accacia, fish with impala that you shot earlier in the afternoon, wine with Windhoek Lager.

Of course, now you are with a gold-haired, tall Afrikaaner girl, wearing khaki short, short shorts, knee-high wool socks and hiking boots.

Did some steaks last nite. A little local market has some pre rubbed with their own peppercorn creation. Damn it was good. Grilled over lump charcoal with wet hickory chips for smoke. Came out medium well. That reminds me I gotta clean the ashes out of the Q from last night...........

I'm gonna grab some masala and tandoori breasts' and wings from an Indian guy who runs a little meat shop by my parents' place. ( ha-ha, I said "grab" and "breasts" in the same sentence, and you didn't notice.)

later,

Dave R.

tandoori, heavily smoked pork loin at low temps seasoned as you would do tandoori chicken was a drunkened creation of mine. was a hit even with the sobers in attendance.

it's trout season, gotta get some alder chips

Your fantasies (or fond memories?) could get some of us in a lot of trouble...

My last 8 years with State of N.C., they hid me in a (big) closet, literally, in the N.C. Museum of Art. The classical collection was in a sun-drenched room with a three-story ceiling.

In a luminous corner stood a near life-sized Roman Aphrodite. Simply breathtaking. Every morning when I came to work, I'd have to restrain myself from kissing the goddess on the butt. (Lots of video surveillance and guards, you know...)

Sorry for the thread jack, Jack.

BB

Your fantasies (or fond memories?)...

:D I'll leave you guessing at that...

Some clues:

I have sailed around Med a lot as a youngster. From age 18 my dad had used to let me have the boat on my own.

Lived in S. Africa for 12 years. However, I have never shot an impala.

Now go kiss the goddess - live the dream!