Note to New Members ×

Where do you go when your burner burns out?

mr3arnest

It seems no matter what I ride (and admittedly I haven't the majority of boards out there) I always seem to have the best times on my 197 burner. It is super fast, super stable and just seems to chew up ice or bumpy crud with equal disregard. Perhaps I am just too heavy for my other boards at just under 200 pounds but while they have half the sidecut radius and feel like an Audi TT, I always return to the Veyron feel of the big Burner.

But of course, it won't last forever. I know I'll weep when that tail snaps as I have to lay it out to avoid some tiny meat pylon in the wee ski program who did or didn't turn when I thought they would as I push my luck to get in "just one more" before it gets "really" crowded.

So, where do you go from there? If you snapped your burner, what would be next? Surely after all these years there is an even better board out there? Something as fast and damp that feels like you are riding on railroad tracks?

I would assume it would be a full on race board but if not tell me what and why if you have an opinion and the time. Thanks!

Abel Davis can ride a burner like no other and is a big board rider who makes some awesome long boards that reflect his abilities and the desires of his long board customers.I am having a variation of his Diablo 200 race made as I write this.

Another much more expensive option that has it's roots inthe burner shape,but with modern tech and stance and a very friendly ride is the Alpine Punk Metal Burner.Awesome ride on the one I demoed at SES.

Alpinepunk make awesome "surfcarving" boards. :biggthump I love my Afterburner for cruicing around. But its nothing close to a substituted for a 197 Burner, due to sidecuts of around 12- 13,7m. turns to fast for my style of rideing when I push it.

If my Burner 188 broke, I would search for something with the same sidecut but a bit wider.

Maybe if the demand is big enough, the next board from Afterburne could be something faster...

It seems no matter what I ride (and admittedly I haven't the majority of boards out there) I always seem to have the best times on my 197 burner. It is super fast, super stable and just seems to chew up ice or bumpy crud with equal disregard. Perhaps I am just too heavy for my other boards at just under 200 pounds but while they have half the sidecut radius and feel like an Audi TT, I always return to the Veyron feel of the big Burner.

I <3 my burner. You are a brother by another mother for sure. I have not ridden any of the NSR designs, and feel that I must. I have two right now (197s), one that is getting on in its life and one that is fresh. Also a 188.

Seems like I will have to save for an Alpinepunk board.

I second what you are saying about super stable and chewing up everything.

I know there are some boards with great edge hold out there, but I think about coming off of Ridge, where I hit the roller at about 55, fly 120 feet ( just three feet off the ground ) and then have just a couple hundred feet to try to anchor down enough to make the turn into Cut off.

Don't know what else might do that. Love that big turn.

Big Kesslers offer very long radius turns, railed in, but not locked in feeling. You can brake out of the carve anytime. Some are soft, some very stif... I guess you would like a stif one. They require more centered technique then nose loaded Burner.

Tinkler system, for sure! Railes like a train, adjustable stiffness, split tail... Mind you, majority have shorter radius then Burners.

Tinkler for certain, also Prior worked with Fawcett on the Burner design so he could do something too. Probably still has the templates.......

Tinkler was there, worked with Fawcett early on.

If you want to template a Burner, no problem. I can hand Mike a NOS 197cm and he can template directly off the board. :biggthump Then build it with a custom flex and modern materials. We are talking about building more boards with options. This would be a good example. Build a mono construction board with inserts to ALLOW the owner to add to it when they want to??

Result, competively priced Tinkler custom that you can "Build" upon if you wish later? Make sense? Just a thought. Approx. 800 to 1100$ depending on materials. Note: we are talking about a board with a top sheet of your choice. Graphics by your design.

Every time I see that black and red Tinkler, I get all fluttery inside......Man that is a SWEET looking board. Gotta chip in my 2 cents here on the Burners as well. Spent the last two trips to the hill on my 178 and it just keeps reminding me why I love that board. Rode for 6 hours straight last Saturday and it was one of the best days out of 20+ I've had this season. Good day = Fresh groom with me on the Burner with Stevie Ray Vaughns "Pride & Joy" coming through the earbuds! I'd be up for one of those boards your describing Bryan, put my name on the list :biggthump

screw the burner, screw the tinkler, eff the coiler, buy a kessler or an SG, theres nothing that rides as well as those in the world. nothing.

Smooth young racer!!

You have ridden all those you slammed?

Young racer, please make your point without being negative, this will go along way toward preventing Racer/ Freecarver riffs.

Show respect, gain respect.

Kesslers are sweet boards, in your world they are the best. Leave it at that.

screw the burner, screw the tinkler, eff the coiler, buy a kessler or an SG, theres nothing that rides as well as those in the world. nothing.

mind you, they don't come cheap

I have ridden a newer metal prior GS shape. I would have to say that in comparison it was really easy to ride compared to a burner.

Having said that, I think that the uncompromising nature and difficulty controlling burners at low speeds is the whole secret to their charm.

Years ago (90's I think) BMW brought out a 3 series car that was a "race inspired" model that was available at dealerships. It was identifiable by the checkered flag graphics on the rear Q panel. It didn't have: leather seats, air conditioning, power windows, power locks, remote trunk release etc. This car was designed to be a true drivers' car. As light as possible with a noticable amount of horsepower.

My point is, the burner is one of the special BMW's mentioned above. It does not make any excuses or compromises in the way it performs, and only a very advanced rider will truly see it for what it is.

Newer metal boards are the fully decked out models with a/c, power windows etc. They are much more forgiving of mistakes and will sometimes mask some bad habits, because they have ESP, ALB etc.

Please do not be so quick to judge boards that I suspect you have not ridden. This is a civilized forum compared to most and a generally nice place to be.

later,

Dave R.

Every time I see that black and red Tinkler, I get all fluttery inside......Man that is a SWEET looking board. Gotta chip in my 2 cents here on the Burners as well. Spent the last two trips to the hill on my 178 and it just keeps reminding me why I love that board. Rode for 6 hours straight last Saturday and it was one of the best days out of 20+ I've had this season. Good day = Fresh groom with me on the Burner with Stevie Ray Vaughns "Pride & Joy" coming through the earbuds! I'd be up for one of those boards your describing Bryan, put my name on the list :biggthump

The Red Tinkler 203cm is the only red one Mike has ever built in that color way. It definitely looks striking. Mike recently built a BX board that is doing well and we have been talking about building boards that will provide the buyer more price options. I.E. Without plates or snowstix, yet offering the options. Essentially it means placing inserts in key locations to provide placement of additional products in the future. NOTE: the inserts are magnet, not drilled out, result? You do not see the inserts and they are only drilled when you decide to use them. Hint: This option could be offered to any current custom board board builder. Retail Snow Stix are nearing availability.

The Kesslers and SG's are the best riding boards out there, but keep in mind that they do not make a Super-G type of board.

The burner 197 wasn't quite a Super-G race board, but it was close and the current PGS boards from any manufacture will NOT replace that type of ride. The Tinkler is probably you best bet to find a board with similar properties.

Having said that some time on a Kessler or SG may change your mind with regard to what you prefer.

The Kesslers and SG's are the best riding boards out there, but keep in mind that they do not make a Super-G type of board.

The burner 197 wasn't quite a Super-G race board, but it was close and the current PGS boards from any manufacture will NOT replace that type of ride. The Tinkler is probably you best bet to find a board with similar properties.

Having said that some time on a Kessler or SG may change your mind with regard to what you prefer.

You still haven't ridden the Silly Good... Best big stick ever! 200cm of metal love!

mind you, they don't come cheap

Sssssshhhhhhhhh. No offense, but I got on my first set of plates in 91. Got a good setup in 92. Been charging it hard ever since. How old are you?

Without seeing others ride and riding all the boards involved you cannot possibly make an informed suggestion. I don't mind making short turns, but I live for the long high G carved turn. Plus I am pushing close to 250 lbs of love down the hill. Always felt like the Burner was made just for me.

Posting things such as you did only makes you sound arrogant and immature.

Bryan - I should try to practice restraint. You are better than I.

You still haven't ridden the Silly Good... Best big stick ever! 200cm of metal love!

Phil and Bordy. Thanks for the suggestions and input. Appreciated as always.

ohhhh bordy that's a cheap shot.... haha; that sillygood is an awesome super G board, when are you going to give me one? especially after i hooked you up with my broken SG! by the way, are there hangl inserts on that thing? when FIS sticks super G back into effect i'm going to be the one with the badass stick!

Your SG has already been passed on to the board builders for a autopsy....

And yep it has hangle inserts. I like it Vist with back foot locked so far the best.

I left a bunch of boards with Fin and others to play with only to come home and find Park City open for a extra week. I rode my SG today. Yours never left the state! Thanks again for the SG when Other builders boards are better many will have you to thank!!!

But of course, it won't last forever. I know I'll weep when that tail snaps as I have to lay it out to avoid some tiny meat pylon in the wee ski program who did or didn't turn when I thought they would as I push my luck to get in "just one more" before it gets "really" crowded.

So, where do you go from there? If you snapped your burner, what would be next? Surely after all these years there is an even better board out there? Something as fast and damp that feels like you are riding on railroad tracks?

I would assume it would be a full on race board but if not tell me what and why if you have an opinion and the time. Thanks!

NSR, I had a metal coiler with a radius of like 16 but at top speed was better than my burners both 188 or 197

the coiler was like a 182 but I was doing the same turns on it as the 197

there's Bordys 200 cm metal prior as well./....