Note to New Members ×

patrolling on hard-boots

carvingchef

I have read many previous post about patrolling on alpine snowboard gear, how it can or cannot be done, why it works or doesn’t work, etc. etc. somebody even said that if it could be done someone would have done it already,<o></o>

I am not here to argue with any or all of the previous posts but I would like to introduce Dennis to the rest of the carving community, Dennis is the director of the ski patrol at Snow Summit my local ski resort in Big Bear Mountain about 2 hours from Los Angeles

Here is a little history about Dennis

Dennis started skiing in 1974 and has been on ski patrol since 1978, he started patrolling in Hyak in Washington state and the year after that he came to Snow Summit and has been there since, he was a volunteer patroller until 1992 then paid patroller part time until 2002 then paid full time patroller after that, he was volunteer director from 1980 to 1984 and he was assistant director for 3 years before becoming the patrol director last year<o></o>

Dennis started and learned hard-booting in 1992 and he has not been on skis since then<o></o>

Dennis also received some impressive awards<o></o>

Outstanding Professional Patroller in the <st1>Southern California</st1> Region 2007-2008<o></o>

Outstanding Professional Patroller 1994-1995 Far West Division<o></o>

Runner up for Outstanding Professional Patroller in the Nation 1994-1995<o></o>

Search and Rescue Dog Handler for the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department for 15 years<o></o>

You can see him in the photos with his rescue dog <st1>Cali</st1> and his new metal Donek FCII 167<o></o>

Watching that dog playing in the snow will put a smile on anybody’s face regardless of age<o></o>

Dennis has to choose his board based on his job, if the board is too long it might get in the way of the toboggan when he’s pulling it, also, more often than not he has to go rescue people in places you normally wouldn’t go with alpine gear (at least not intentionally) like off piste, in the trees, behind rocks, all those fun places people manage to fall and hurt themselves, he also needs to step in and out of his bindings quick, often and in places you normally wouldn’t go and for that he relies on TD3s step in with FIN-TEC heels (Fin, are you reading this) you can see him in action in the photos pulling a toboggan, some people might argue that there is nobody in the toboggan, that doesn’t happen very often, 99% of the time he’s transporting an injured rider but unfortunately or maybe I should say fortunately there was no injured person around at the time and that was only a practice run to try out his brand new metal Donek and just for the record, during his years of service as a patroller Dennis has taken about a thousand (maybe more) injured people down the slope with a toboggan and half of those while riding an alpine snowboard<o></o>

I hope you enjoyed reading this; I enjoy riding at Snow Summit knowing the patrol director is one of us.

P.S. Dennis, in case I wrote something that is not accurate please take a minute to post the corrections, thanks

post-6353-141842279878_thumb.jpg

post-6353-141842279881_thumb.jpg

post-6353-141842279885_thumb.jpg

I trained a few times with the late Bob Barcy from up here in the Northwest.He was snowboard coordinator for National Patrol up here and we hit it off after seeing that we both preferred hardboots.I did a few riding improvement clinics for regional board patrol after that.Unfortunately much of the momentum of the program passed away with him.

I did my on hill on a Liquid 159 (I think) in Hardboots back in 1993. Great control and at that time it was good PR to have a patroller on a board. Still is good PR to have them on boards. Funny thing is that the skier evaluating me didn't really know how to grade what I was doing. I still passed though.

For the last 6-7 years I have been trying to convince my boss a few times, that I could do my job 99,9% as efficient on my alpineboard as on my skis.

Occasionally I take a few runs in the short disc lift above our mountain-watch base up on the hill. That makes me able to get back on my skis in a few seconds, when "the **** hits the fan". (My hardboots have the same size as my skiboots. Closeing the rear ski bindings manualy works just fine)

Trough the years we have got complains that the skipatroll are not visible enough in the slopes.

When I'm patrolling on my alpineboard I feel like every-singel-one is staring at me. Especially when i'm doing laydowns in the slope paralell to the disc lift above our mountain-base.

I won't give up my struggle to get acknowledgement to patroll that area on my board. So any suggestion and support are welcome!

/Gunnar

Very cool. Thanks for the thread Chef. Put a smile on my face.

My bud Tim East did patrol quite a bit on an alpine set up here in Sun Valley.

He hasn't been on a board so much the last few years and he is out with a blown knee ( damn skis anyway ) from early, wet, deep snow.

Props to Snow Summit and Dennis.

Dennis is a great guy. He hosted a BBQ for all of us local hardbooters earlier this season at Summit. I was so intrigued with the setup, that I decided to join the patrol for next year. I will patrol on hardboots too. I look forward to it. Should be great fun.

Cheers to Dennis for hosting our Jim Pryor Memorial session back in January. It was fun to meet everyone and find out the director of ski patrol lays the law down in hard boots. I love that golden retriever :)

You all need to move to Canada.

Here at Apex, we have 2 patrollers on Hardboots and encourage snowboarders to join the Volunteer patrol. there is also 3 snowboarders on the paid patrol. I am this year the head of the toboggan and on Hill training I ride exclusively in HB, the guy who did it before me rode Hb exclusively as well. IMHO snowboards in general are far superior to skis when running toboggans down steep, powder, trees and bumps. When we take people off double black diamond runs, if there is a snowboarder in the handles of the toboggan, a skier on the drag rope has a hard time keeping up.

Last year one of our own patrollers tweaked his knee on top of a double black, while he was sitting there waiting, he was wondering how we would belay the toboggan with ropes to get him down. then he saw me with my snowboard coming witht the box and was relived because he knew we would just ride him out without ropes and wasting time.

as for the flats, I keep my board tuned up all the time. It sucks having to push on the flats and cat tracks. I pass most of the patrol when we tuck runs though. hahah

I use Catek os1's step ins with bomber recievers on a coiler am-t 177 with 23 waist. I have Fintec heels on my deeluxe indy's with BTS and blue springs. I have some webbing on my rear boot threaded up my pants to a pull knob by my hip to release my binding so I can get in and out of the board fast when needed for doing rope work or other tasks. It sure turns heads when I clip out in the lift line without even bending down.

Nice story, in my opinion, it makes the sport that much more visible/legimate to the skiing public when they see a patroller riding alpine.

I've been patrolling on hardboots for about 5 seasons now. Usually a Donek Axis 177 with TD2's and Fintecs. Sometimes I'll ride a Donek ASmith SL 162 or a Volkl RT183 depending on snow conditions and skier traffic. Being able to step in and out of the board easily is a big advantage for working on the hill. The control is great and makes sled hauling pretty easy. When conditions are soft or really manky most of our patrollers are happy to let me have the horns. It was mentioned earlier but keeping the board tuned is really important, especially for the long flat stretches.

One other benefit of hardboots is the boots themselves. If the snow is firm (glacial) all the guys in softboots are always sliding around on incident scenes, with hardboots or ski boots its much easier to kick your toes in and not fall on the patient.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One other benefit of hardboots is the boots themselves. If the snow is firm (glacial) all the guys in softboots are always sliding around on incident scenes, with hardboots or ski boots its much easier to kick your toes in and not fall on the patient.<

I think my hardboots with slanted heels and toes, are almost as bad as softies on really hard snow and ice. So I'm considering changing to Dalbello Kryptons next winter, to get better grip when kicking steps.

I know that some race gates on them. But I'm used to softened up Stratos (By cutouts in the lowers, and softer and longer springs (-ACCS system) So Im afraide they wont have soft and long enough flex, for kneling down in bumps and betwene EC turns..

Do anyone have any opinion on Kryptons?

Hey Bubba - "It would be great to soar like an eagle but a gopher won't get sucked into a jet engine"

This picture better reflects the risks the grounded deal with. :D

(taken July 2007)

<!-- / sig -->

<!-- controls -->

post-2651-141842280405_thumb.jpg

I am happy to see that the HB setup is being used by other patrollers. We have about 120 NSP volunteers here and I have about 60 on paid staff ( that includes Hill Maintenance and Mt Security staff) We have about 35% of our patrollers on snowboards however I am the only one on an alpine setup. Many of the new hire paid staff have been on boards ( 70%) so the mix is slowly increasing. I find patrolling on hardboots is very easy and is especially good for icy conditions although I would argue that two skis (edges) are better for the moments when your primary edge breaks loose on the steeps when running a loaded sled.

I kinda thought there were more HB alpine parollers out there so keep in touch. Thanks for the article...you have been a true friend along with the rest of the group.