Note to New Members ×

Coiler update

Neil Gendzwill

• 3 weeks later...

From http://www.coiler.com:

"Summer's over and we're starting our 2004-2005 production run!

Our bookings have us busy until very late in the season!

Because of this, we will not be processing any new orders until January 2005, at which time we'll produce some late season boards (if time permits) and begin taking orders for the next season."

Wow. I'm glad I placed my orders last January.

bruce must be busy...no email response for over a week now

hey...anyone readin this...recommendation

I was looking at the FC184 which has what...18.7cm waist and..was it 12.7m sidecut?

but..Id like something slightly wider...so...the PR184 has a 19.4cm waist and a slightly longer sidecut, but 4mm taper

what does the taper do?

is there such a drastic difference in the two boards that if I were to get the PR for the width I would be sacrificing freecarve performance?

maybe I should be asking Bruce this:)

d-sub: taper allows the board to release from the carve towards the end of a carve. Perfect half circles isn't the fastest way down a GS course and racers need to release and skid slightly to maintain the proper line and highest possible speed throughout the course.

If you're only going to be freecarving, taper isn't necessary. But I sometimes wish my Donek FC179 had a little taper. It is quite hooky at times, especially considering its length at an 11.2m radius. I really have to get my weight over to the other edge otherwise it'll want to keep going uphill! :p

so then perhaps being somewhat new to the modern carving world Id be better with a board with some taper then?

Id really prefer the wider width, even if its only just a bit, so I dont have to go so high on the angles. This much I know.

wish I could just rock in to BV's workshop and go through the steps with him:)

thanks for the replies, guys

I 've never ridden the FC 184, but the PR 184 is a very versatile board. I've not ridden anything else in a 13-ish sidecut, but I have ridden taperless Doneks in ~11 and ~15 sidecuts and I think the 4mm of taper does make a noticable difference in the ease of getting out of one turn and into the next. Even the shorter Donek felt more "locked in" at times... on the longer one, it was downright scary at times, like when I all of a sudden realized someone was trying to pass me from my blind spot and I'd better change direction real fast.

If you're looking for a high-speed freecarving machine, the PR 184 is IMHO a great choice.

But yeah, talk to Bruce. He is a really popular guy this time of year... keep in mind that he likes to take great care of each customer. It may be frustrating to wait for a response, but he'll give you the same attention he's probably giving another customer right now.

Originally posted by D-Sub

bruce must be busy...no email response for over a week now

hey...anyone readin this...recommendation

I was looking at the FC184 which has what...18.7cm waist and..was it 12.7m sidecut?

but..Id like something slightly wider...so...the PR184 has a 19.4cm waist and a slightly longer sidecut, but 4mm taper

what does the taper do?

is there such a drastic difference in the two boards that if I were to get the PR for the width I would be sacrificing freecarve performance?

maybe I should be asking Bruce this:)

I have had em do full customs its not all that much more and if you ask he has more templates than are on the website

basicly his custom rides come out to around $600 US which is cheaper than allot of the high end jib decks out there

taper I like on longer boards it feels easier to switch edges

Originally posted by Mike T

I 've never ridden the FC 184, but the PR 184 is a very versatile board. I've not ridden anything else in a 13-ish sidecut, but I have ridden taperless Doneks in ~11 and ~15 sidecuts and I think the 4mm of taper does make a noticable difference in the ease of getting out of one turn and into the next. Even the shorter Donek felt more "locked in" at times... on the longer one, it was downright scary at times, like when I all of a sudden realized someone was trying to pass me from my blind spot and I'd better change direction real fast.

If you're looking for a high-speed freecarving machine, the PR 184 is IMHO a great choice.

But yeah, talk to Bruce. He is a really popular guy this time of year... keep in mind that he likes to take great care of each customer. It may be frustrating to wait for a response, but he'll give you the same attention he's probably giving another customer right now.

thanks man! and yeah...I know...he's given me some pretty detailed responses in the past. Thank god I got in around april. Bruce pretty much assured me that Ill have my board by the time the snow is good for its use:)

Maybe try sending him another email. One of my emails didn't get through to him a few weeks ago. When I resent the message he responded within a day!!

Words can't explain how much of a pleasure it is to deal with him during the order & design process. He takes the time to thoroughly respond and answer all questions with elaborate and detailed responses. I'm sure he's extremely busy dealing with a number of different customers simultaneously, however he truly makes you feel as if you're his one and only client. Going custom is the way to go!!!

Looking forward to receiving my new boards in the next month or so.

Anyone know if Bruce offers any Coiler schwag? T-shirts? Stickers?

yeah, itd be nice to ride with him, but thats not an option really.

but Im perfectly comfortable going by his recommendations!

That is something I'm waiting for I just need to find out where I'm gonna be next year and I'll hopefully be dropping Bruce a line and getting his recommendations for what I need (not neccessarily what I want, I know) Thankfully finding out coinsides with when he opens up orders for next year.

I think that talking with him enough will do it ok. At my level Im more keen on a board that will challenge me a little that Ill have to sort of "grow into" anyway...

I was *amazed* at how well he dialed in my first board based on just talking to him.