Note to New Members ×

I Love Rum

powdahbonz

One of my favorite drinks is Rum Punch-simple..potent..and oh so good. My folks just brought back a tasty treat from Antigua which we enjoy for about a week and then pine for another 51 weeks. Angustora Bitters makes a Rum Punch mix that you cannot buy in the states, it will not be imported from Trinidad and it is simply AWESOME!! The y claim that there is not enough bitters to produce the mix to be exported to other nations. I call bull$hit. I say this as I am glazed like a ham now and leaving here at 5am to be at Sugarloaf for 8am to ride with others. But this stuff is awesome. If anyone has a way to beat the customs/import grind, let me know. Recipes are recipes but for stuff that comes in the bottle...this is king. In Barbados, this is like OJ at breakfast. It pours all day long-you look like a lazy-eyed psycho at the end of the day but who cares.....in the islands you're supposed to be lazy.

One of my favorite drinks is Rum Punch-simple..potent..and oh so good. My folks just brought back a tasty treat from Antigua which we enjoy for about a week and then pine for another 51 weeks. Angustora Bitters makes a Rum Punch mix that you cannot buy in the states, it will not be imported from Trinidad and it is simply AWESOME!! The y claim that there is not enough bitters to produce the mix to be exported to other nations. I call bull$hit. I say this as I am glazed like a ham now and leaving here at 5am to be at Sugarloaf for 8am to ride with others. But this stuff is awesome. If anyone has a way to beat the customs/import grind, let me know. Recipes are recipes but for stuff that comes in the bottle...this is king. In Barbados, this is like OJ at breakfast. It pours all day long-you look like a lazy-eyed psycho at the end of the day but who cares.....in the islands you're supposed to be lazy.

yesh, beating customs is easy, it helps if you have someone in said country to ship you stuff though.

I really don't want to go into detail but if you do small packages and make sure you label them as samples and so on it's even possible to do that in the EU where the tax man is much more of a stickler than in the US.

this is only applicable on a small scale

disclaimer: I do not condone, encourage or conspire to or help anyone to evade taxation here in the US or in the EU or any other country, state or city.

any information I offer is all second hand and for entertainment purposes only. do not try this at home.

have you tried Sailor Jerry's? Is that considered good stuff? I doubt it but it works for me.

Sailor Jerry's has a unique flavor. It's higher in alcohol content for a spiced rum and goes well with cola or even 7up or a cherry cola. Best application is chilled and shot, but not my favorite rum. Not a fan of using it with fruit juices or coconut either. Spiced rums are alright, I like some of the Whalers rums. Their vanilla rum taste like cookie dough and an awesome rum for the beginner or girlfriend. Some good rums are... Appleton rum, Pussers rum, and Pyrat rum (not a misspelling).

Appleton beats some of Scotch and lesser label French brendies, in my book.

Cortes is another good one, however I don't think it's available in US. Bought it in Panama...

Hey, do you know that no real Latino man would be cought drinking gold rums - they say it's for women. Man drink only white.

I like rum and ginger ale combo. Like it straight too.

Mt Gay and Captain Eli's Ginger beer or for traditionalists, Pusser's is fine. I'm partial to Mt. Gay Rums. Sailors is good and does seem to have a bit more kick but does not impact taste. Since it's pi$$ing cats and dogs in the northeast today, Dark and Stormy sounds good. Looks like winter has succumbed. Sugarloaf was gorgeous yesterday, sunny, 55 but I really hate carving in mashed spud slop.

Mt Gay and Captain Eli's Ginger beer or for traditionalists, Pusser's is fine. I'm partial to Mt. Gay Rums. Sailors is good and does seem to have a bit more kick but does not impact taste. Since it's pi$$ing cats and dogs in the northeast today, Dark and Stormy sounds good. Looks like winter has succumbed. Sugarloaf was gorgeous yesterday, sunny, 55 but I really hate carving in mashed spud slop.

Isn't Gosling's Black Seal and Barrett's ginger beer the "authentic" D&S? I can't seem to find Barrett's in Maine anymore, but Regatta ginger beer is nearly identical.

This is my favorite Rum Punch recipe:

http://www.swizzleinn.com/treasure_hunt_2.htm

I am pathetic. I like Captain Morgans, due to an emotional attachment to it formed on my first multi day river trip, where it was plentiful, the beer was warm and it was hot.

I drink it straight. Doesn't matter the temp. I can sip it all day long and don't get too forked up.

I just recently discovered Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum. Man, don't mix that **** with Allergy meds, I drank half a 26'er and was falling down stupid. I stumbled and plowed through my buddy's fence with my shoulders and fell down and broke 2 bikes. I could barely speak it was so bad.

The next weekend was better, no meds and could handle it. It sure helped my home poker game, I left with the most chips.

Mt Gay for me. I wouldn't normally touch rum with a bargepole, but I developed a taste for that stuff when I worked for a company that was big in the sailing fraternity. (Mt Gay is a traditional sailors tipple.)

Fleaman, I can relate ... I got totally trashed on the duty free Mt Gay in Costa Rica, and ended up singing kareoke in the local dive bar. That was a bad, bad night ...

I am pathetic. I like Captain Morgans, due to an emotional attachment to it formed on my first multi day river trip, where it was plentiful, the beer was warm and it was hot.

I drink it straight. Doesn't matter the temp. I can sip it all day long and don't get too forked up.

Captain straight?? :eek:

I too started with Captain. The next step from there is Cruzan 2 year dark (about the same caramel color as Captain) and then Cruzan Single Barrel. Or just go straight to the SB, you can thank me later. If you like Captain Morgan, you'll love Cruzan Single Barrel. At $25-30 for a fifth it's not cheap by rum standards but it is dirt cheap by tequila standards. Appleton V/X is great too. Pyrat is also excellent but quite different.

1007216x.jpg

To repeat.

I am pathetic.

I realize my limitations. I think it was more of a river thing and what is/was available in plastic on the river. Now I have my own boat ( and metal side bars, err boxes) and I can take glass things safely down the river without fear of breaking and sinking the raft.

Captain straight?? :eek:

I too started with Captain. The next step from there is Cruzan 2 year dark (about the same caramel color as Captain) and then Cruzan Single Barrel. Or just go straight to the SB, you can thank me later. If you like Captain Morgan, you'll love Cruzan Single Barrel. At $25-30 for a fifth it's not cheap by rum standards but it is dirt cheap by tequila standards. Appleton V/X is great too. Pyrat is also excellent but quite different.

I will try to up my rum game on the next river trip. I am still partial to taking my booze straight up. I have been know to drink straight gin when out of mixer and no one gets that. Gin martini's are damn good too.

My first experiences weren't even Mt. Gay-it was Cockspur. The slogan was"the bionic cock that spurs you on" kinda like Fleaman's post, stumbling and staggering like Eric Idle in RedBeard. It was a bit more of an azzkickr and didn't taste as smooth as Mt. Gay. But when you're in Barbados and it's cheaper to buy a fifth of rum than couple liters of cola or tonic, you aren't that discriminating. The higher end, specials and reserves are much kinder in the sipping phase. Bob...Homemade Ginger Beer? Tell me more

I will try to up my rum game on the next river trip. I am still partial to taking my booze straight up.

I think you mean "neat" if I have my terms right. Neat = open bottle of booze, pour into glass, sip. A.k.a. "straight", but saying "neat" buys you more bar-cred. "Straight up" = shaken with ice and then strained. AFAIK.

But yes, neat is the ultimate way to appreciate fine liquor. Apparently you've made the "fine" optional! ;) Seriously, try the good stuff.

I think you mean "neat" if I have my terms right. Neat = open bottle of booze, pour into glass, sip. A.k.a. "straight", but saying "neat" buys you more bar-cred. "Straight up" = shaken with ice and then strained. AFAIK.

But yes, neat is the ultimate way to appreciate fine liquor. Apparently you've made the "fine" optional! ;) Seriously, try the good stuff.

Not too many people accuse me of being Neat. Especially on the river there is rarely a glass involved. :eek:

The Captain ( in plastic ) tends to live down on floor where the nice cold river is on the side of the boat.

:eplus2:

I'll try to remember the terms, but after two or three shots neat, I don't know that I will remember. :freak3:

I should start drinking my rum neat out of the bottle as a few years ago I was fishing in a work sponsored derby with a friend and I knew we would be on the boat for a few hours so I poured a really stiff rum(finishing the rest of the rum I had for the weekend) with a touch of coke so I could sip it for a few hours on the boat. The thing is they were new insulated mugs with press on caps. I set my drink down on the seat while entering the boar and it fell on the bottom, the lid opened up and it all spilled out. I was so pissed off. I had to bum beer from my friend and never got the numbness I was going to get from all that rum. I went out the next week and bought a good screw on cap mug with a stiff flip lid. Never again will I be rumless

:(

My first experiences weren't even Mt. Gay-it was Cockspur. The slogan was"the bionic cock that spurs you on" kinda like Fleaman's post, stumbling and staggering like Eric Idle in RedBeard. It was a bit more of an azzkickr and didn't taste as smooth as Mt. Gay. But when you're in Barbados and it's cheaper to buy a fifth of rum than couple liters of cola or tonic, you aren't that discriminating. The higher end, specials and reserves are much kinder in the sipping phase. Bob...Homemade Ginger Beer? Tell me more

home made ginger beer

get a fresh ginger root

10 to 15 cloves

a lemon or two, mostly for the zest but the juice of half a lemon I find beneficial as well

some people use green anise but I'm not a fan, go ahead and try putting 1/4th teaspoon in though for the hell of it.

some yeast, bread yeast works fine but I prefer champagne or ale yeast if available.

zest your lemon, grate your ginger and add 2 liters of water add the cloves and sugar to taste I like mine a touch dry so I go for less sugar. try different sugars honey, brown sugar, corn syrup or even a malt and white sugar mix each one provides a unique experience. one of the better ones that I'm trying to replicate used molasses.

anyway, boil for 20 minutes filter while still hot into another clean pan or a large jug

let cool, when it's less the 90f pitch some yeast and transfer to either clean beer bottles and cap or if you have some grolsh bottles to save you some trouble do that. you can also use regular plastic soda bottles in a pinch.

here's a article http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2004-12-01/Brew-Soda-at-Home.aspx

doing soda at home is a good primer for trying beer as well so give it a shot.

I should start drinking my rum neat out of the bottle as a few years ago I was fishing in a work sponsored derby with a friend and I knew we would be on the boat for a few hours so I poured a really stiff rum(finishing the rest of the rum I had for the weekend) with a touch of coke so I could sip it for a few hours on the boat. The thing is they were new insulated mugs with press on caps. I set my drink down on the seat while entering the boar and it fell on the bottom, the lid opened up and it all spilled out. I was so pissed off. I had to bum beer from my friend and never got the numbness I was going to get from all that rum. I went out the next week and bought a good screw on cap mug with a stiff flip lid. Never again will I be rumless

:(

The great thing about drinking it "neat", is you can now buy one of those cool leather bound flasks!