Note to New Members ×

Yet another new Schtubby.....

Speedzilla

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what is the shorter overall board with the uber sidecut doing for you?

The reality is with these metal boards that a longer board is simply not necessary to handle a longer sidecut like 14m. And the Schtubbies have longer effective edge, like a board 5-7cm longer.

One big thing is the reduction of sidecut <i>depth</i>. Shallower sidecut makes a board easier to skid and steer, which makes the board good for AM duty.

The purpose was several things... one a shorter board can handle crowds on cat tracks at slower speed.

But then what do you do when you get up to speed and beyond a normal 161..speed limit.. and go over the handle bars because your tossed into a turn beyond the speed limit.. so make a short board that is very stable at high speeds.. no need to drive the nose or tail... just relax on a 14.7m sidecut..

A longer sidecut feels more sure footed on higher speeds .

Also its metal.. so then you have an ultra short board very smooth and just cruising..

It very deceiving though... you go down steep stuff an you want to turn or you think its going to turn like a short board...then it just wants to go fast.. weird feeling but you get used to how fun it really is..

Fun and Easy became the insperation for the Schtubby.. Took the best of a long board and a short board and put them together and you get the X2..

Hope I explained that right.. there are only 2 original X1's schtubbys and are fun as hell !!

I think Mike T has the bit longer one at 164...

RSS

Thanks Shred. Interesting. I'm not totally sold but I see the logic.

I'd like to demo one though... Maybe I'll cross paths with someone on one next season.

The reality is with these metal boards that a longer board is simply not necessary to handle a longer sidecut like 14m. And the Schtubbies have longer effective edge, like a board 5-7cm longer.

One big thing is the reduction of sidecut <i>depth</i>. Shallower sidecut makes a board easier to skid and steer, which makes the board good for AM duty.

Why would you want to skid and steer a alpine board? Especially in the AM when everything (theoretically) is hard and groomed?

Love your graphics. Bruce just keeps stepping it up. It is exciting to see the continued evolution of our equipment. I really enjoy my metal coiler all mountain, but all of this excitement about the new schtubbies makes me want to try one out. I would be very curious to compare the feel of the schtubby to the all mountain.

maybe i might be able to clarify... the original concept of this board was made to maximize effective edge without increasing the length of the board, this maximizes stability by increasing the amount of contact you have with the snow while on edge. this also made it so that you could run a shorter board (although we still run 185s in GS) with the same effectiveness as one 5 cm longer. HOWEVER,that does not justify running a shorter board, if you run 2 boards with the same effective edge (Say a 185 normal and a 180 stub-nose) assuming they have the same flex pattern and etc. they would feel about the same. if you decide to just run a 180 instead of a non-flat nose then all you would do was nothing except chop the nose off of the board. if you run the same size board with more effective edge you get more stability and more control while on most any surface which = faster runs.

point is: if you have a 185 normal and a 185 stub-nose the stub nose will ride smoother, faster and just overall better :biggthump

That's a good question. How do you decide between a schtubby and an AM?

Get an AM if you will be riding untracked powder with significant frequency. The Schtubby works well in everything but untracked powder, where it will submarine if you don't lean way back. In cut-up powder or crud it's a dream. I rode mine all day after an 18" dump and had a blast.

maybe i might be able to clarify... the original concept of this board was made to maximize effective edge without increasing the length of the board, this maximizes stability by increasing the amount of contact you have with the snow while on edge. this also made it so that you could run a shorter board (although we still run 185s in GS) with the same effectiveness as one 5 cm longer. HOWEVER,that does not justify running a shorter board, if you run 2 boards with the same effective edge (Say a 185 normal and a 180 stub-nose) assuming they have the same flex pattern and etc. they would feel about the same. if you decide to just run a 180 instead of a non-flat nose then all you would do was nothing except chop the nose off of the board. if you run the same size board with more effective edge you get more stability and more control while on most any surface which = faster runs.

point is: if you have a 185 normal and a 185 stub-nose the stub nose will ride smoother, faster and just overall better :biggthump

There are a couple other things going on with the Stubbies that I've seen from Bruce that make them ride significantly different than a board that just has a shortened nose. In my opinion, the most significant trait is the way he de-cambers the nose and sometimes the tail. This lets you take a long board, say 185, shorten the overall length to say 180 or 175 depending on how extreem you go with the nose, have the edge hold and smooth ride like the 185, and transition and skid like a 170. Also the gradual curve of the nose/de-cambered area is what lets them slice through chop and crud so well. It's not a short nose on a traditionaly cambered board that just curls up quick at the end.

Oxygen has had a 160 and 164 with 12 meter sidecuts,and 168 and 172 with 13 meter for at least 11 years.The 168 I had last year was a fun board.

F2 was similar, they had pretty long radii for the lengths. i.e., the RS173 was 14m.

But their noses were traditional and the effective edge lengths were a little shorter than the schtubbies are now. The decambered nose is a big factor of these new board designs.

Hmm... the new F2s are even longer in radius....

http://www.f2-snow.com/htdocs/boards-speedster-rs-wc.php?setsub=33&setnav=22

183 = 18m :eek:

That's a good question. How do you decide between a schtubby and an AM?

I have both....172AM(21.5cm/12m/148cm edge) and a 173 Stub (20cm/13m/157 edge).

The AM has a relaxed flex pattern, is a little more versatile, and requires less effort to ride. The AM is fantastic in all conditions even ice, but is exceptionally better in soft packed powder and chopped pow. The AM feels livelier than the Stub in the soft stuff.

The Stub is stiffer, rides longer and is a much faster board. The Stub is much more stable at high speeds and can carve bigger turns b/c of the sidecut and longer running length. Obviously, with the metal it loves ice and hardpack conditions. On super soft snow the board feels a little dead to me.

I'm pretty happy I have both boards. Many weekends I'll ride the Stub on Saturdays and then the AM on Sundays when my legs are pretty beat. If I did it over again, I'd probably add a 14m sidecut to the Stub to differentiate the two even more. Yet, I ride mostly narrow trails so I'm quite satisfied with the 13m. It usually keeps me out of the trees. :biggthump

If you only had to choose one, the AM is best in soft snow or if you prefer a softer flex. The Stub is better for harder snow or if you like a more aggressive flex. Either way BV can customize and suit your needs.

Oxygen has had a 160 and 164 with 12 meter sidecuts,and 168 and 172 with 13 meter for at least 11 years.The 168 I had last year was a fun board.

Ok while I don't yet have a Schtubby (but I do have one on order for the fall) I do have an O2 F-67 (circa '94). If I get aggressive with it the nose folds like a pair of twos in a poker game. A friend with an O2 Limited 173cm 12m SCR says his "rolls over and plays dead" on the steeps. Both boards are too soft to hold a carve at higher speeds or if handled agressively.

I have both....172AM(21.5cm/12m/148cm edge) and a 173 Stub (20cm/13m/157 edge).

How would one go about ordering a Stubby, I'm looking to buy a new board. Well I'm debating over buying new vs used. Right now I ride a UP-162 and my stance is set at 21.5", bindings 57F/53R.

I had some interest in Jack's 158Madd but after reading the recommended weight, +180 I became reluctant, I'm 185. Then recently was thinking about Geoff's 169Virus thats up for sale now, nice board but there seems to be a trend of good reviews on the Stubb.

Those are the comparible used snowboards. Maybe they might be to much for me, I say maybe because I like SPEED. Any advice. I'm looking to make a one time purchase. I need a board that will accommodate the level I'm at and one I can grow into.