Note to New Members ×

"Is that a Teleboard?"

Jack M

Take it as a compliment. The few guys I have ever seen ride a tele-board ripped and carved deep turns.

I've seen a number of teleboarders (including reps from demo days) who could ride the things very well, but they simply can't power the board and manipulate it like we can. It's physically impossible with the free heels. Someone will surely respond to this and say "I saw this one Teleboarder who could put any carver here to shame!" That person has never seen a good carver.

2 things:

1) I am surprised that anybody who has heard of a teleboard does not know what an alpine snowboard is. I mean, we're pretty niche, but a teleboard? I've seen one, once in my life. That guy ripped, though - hiked Granite Chief Peak at Squaw and killed it on the way down.

2) One of Chris Webster's friends (Markus?) rode skiboards during the session and put in nice carves. I think he's the one following the 3 carvers from 1:23-1:34 in the SES highlight video.

I've seen a number of teleboarders (including reps from demo days) who could ride the things very well, but they simply can't power the board and manipulate it like we can. It's physically impossible with the free heels.

It seems like if you put the bindings at extremely steep angles (like skwal angles, which I assume you do, since the teleboards are really skinny) the free heels no longer affect the ability to lean the board over. I have no idea how stiff tele bindings are, but I don't see why it should be any harder to carve a teleboard than a skwal.

so you must have been carving for what, 2 days? haha, just kidding, I only say that because I think I hear that question at least twice a day.

That form of ignorance is spreading though! I've been in hard boots since 1995 or '96, and I've been asked the "ski board" question as much this year as in all the previous years combined.

About 4 times! :eek:

Not statistically significant, but still kinda weird.

I was behind a guy last season on a monoski, yes a REAL monoski. Well, I couldn't resist and loudly asked... "Hey, is that one of those carving/race snowboard things?" ...his reaction was priceless, similar to the reaction we have when somebody asks if we are on a monoski. We had a good chat once he realized I was joking around.

That's awesome. :lol:

I ride my soft boot boards fully agressive with angles around 27 to 40 degrees, so I get kids looking at my board and saying " dude, how do you ride like that? its just crazy!" then I just smile and say "come with me and find out".

:eek: = the usual looks on their faces.

The same with the hardboot set up, but I usualy like to stir up the pot a bit with skiers while they are standing around complaining in the clasic "SNOWBOARDERS SUCK" commentary they have in my HBs... and say stuff :"yeah,... This mountain would be awesome if it wasnt for those damn snowboarders".. to which they almost always say "yeah snowboarders are always scraping off the snow".... SO I usualy grab my carveboard off the rack at that point and say "I'll try to not dig my ruts too deep for you to fall into (and wink at them as they stare gape-jawed as I walk off. :biggthump

It seems like if you put the bindings at extremely steep angles (like skwal angles, which I assume you do, since the teleboards are really skinny) the free heels no longer affect the ability to lean the board over. I have no idea how stiff tele bindings are, but I don't see why it should be any harder to carve a teleboard than a skwal.

You can't pressure the nose with free heels.

I take offense to that statement

I'm about to drop 2 grand on

plates boots wheels and bearings

and use them daily when there's no snow

for exersize

doesnt mean you will look any less kooky. Unless you do the phony crosscountry training with the long 2 wheel blades and ski poles.

Get a skateboard.

:1luvu:

This is going to be more fun than a 4-page long discussion about rockered boards! Yippee! ;)

I got the "is that more fun that snowboarding?" question from a beginner yesterday. I politely informed him that it's just another kind of snowboarding and wished him luck in his learning process.

By Jack Michaud - I've seen a number of teleboarders (including reps from demo days) who could ride the things very well, but they simply can't power the board and manipulate it like we can.
Now look here you ski boardin knuckle dragger. I have seen thousands of tele-board riders that can out carve any type of carver. My good friend rides one and you should see what he can do to a turkey.
By Corey dyck - I got the "is that more fun that snowboarding?" question from a beginner yesterday. I politely informed him that it's just another kind of snowboarding and wished him luck in his learning process

Why try to enlighten all those dumb folks. The less details they know about carvin the better. Always remember, don't try to educate the uneducated skiers. Shun them and push them down.