Note to New Members ×

New to Sport: Gear

gearhunt

I have a similar post on the Carver Forum.

I am looking for advice. My son is 14, weighs 130 and is about 5'9''. He races well on his 156 Concept, but his coaches now suggest Alpine. He does both S and GS. He is a very good rider agressive rider.

I got some much appreciated advice from the nice people at YYZCanuck, but I have a little more time and thought an other opinion or 2 couldn't hurt.

It seems I am leaning toward the Danek Pilot. I don't kow how he will take to the sport, plus he will grow, so am assuming he will need another board next year. So that's the price range I am in, for new or used. Any suggestions would be helpful.

For his size, some are suggesting a slalom board, but it sounds to me like a "general racer" would be better.

Please help with size. A 168 was suggested, and I don't know about the sport, it just sounds like a big change from 156, especially for slalom.

Also, he will probably only get about 5 days to train on the board and I would like to know if you think he will feel comfortable enough to use it for racing after the 5 days.

Thank you

Honestly you will need two boards, one for GS and one for SL. It may sound over-kill for a new person, but if you are racing there is such a differance between a SL and a GS board that one board can't do both. You end up with a board that does neither GS or SL well.

The piolets are good entry level boards. You may be able to find one on the classified section of this site. Dave from YYZ is a great resource and his advice is as solid as it comes.

A nice PDF for boot sizing.

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/Sizing_boots.pdf

This should clear which boot size he needs.

Agree with Phill, start to look at 154-158cm for a Slalom board and 173-178 for a GS board. That's basically what the girl & light rider used to race Noram level. A compromise, like a 168 will only last part of the season if he start to enjoy it.

Look into USASA series for any competitions to enter

Do his coaches ride (or know how to ride) hardboots? I'm coming off over 20 years on softies, and now in year 2 on the hardboots (40ish days), I'm able to ride pretty competently. But after only 5 days I still really sucked (was way better on softies at that point). I'm self coached from reading and watching vids on this site and chasing some locals. I'd think my learning curve would've been drastically accellerated had I received some real guideance, which is why I ask what your son's coaching situation is like.

See these on ebay all the time. Decent price for a brand new team board. Some forum members here have commented that protons are on the stiff side, just so you're aware.

http://cgi.ebay.com/07-08-Oxygen-Proton-SL-Race-Room-Snowboard-160cm-NEW_W0QQitemZ270331727370QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSnowboarding

later,

Dave R.

5 days to transition to hard boots and be race-ready might be asking a lot.

I've seen some 13 year old riders who were rock-stars after only 1 day, and

others who are were still making the transition after 15+ days.

We had a few riders around that age/size last year. For what it's worth, they were riding:

168 Oxygen / 154 F2

168 Donek Pilot / 154 Burton FP

170-177 metal Prior / 160cm range metal Prior

I missed the part about being ready to race after 5 days on the board. I would say that this is not likely.

Like I said you really need a SL board and a GS board because they are so different. So now you really have 3 days on one and 2 days on the other, not probable that he will pick it up that fast.

If you really only have 5 days look for a GS board and have him race the SL one his current set up. On the last day of training you can make the call if he is ready to race on the hardboot set up or not. Even if he is not ready by then his soft boot riding will be better because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake once of letting an athlete upgrade her board between the last USASA race of te season, and Nationals. Despite a bunch of training days on the new board (and she was going alpine to alpine), the new boards were still too much for her, and she fell and finished DFL in both Slalom and GS.

I would suggest waiting on the board purchase until the fall, ensuring it will be the right size for the season. If you want to get him on plates now, get something used and soft so he can begin to get the feel of riding alpine, and you will know if he is even interested in continuing before you shell out for new boots and 2 decks...

Hey Gearhunt,

I was in the same boat as your son a few years ago. Well kinda. I got into alpine and bought a used Prior WCR 171. I used it for a season and the person I bought it from had it for a season. It has a softer flex so it's a little more forgiving while learning to tear it up on the new board. I was about the same weight as your son when I got it. Yeah, I've gained a few pounds since then. But literally a few. I had a great time learning on the board and thought it was a lot of fun. Now I've got a couple other Prior boards that I use, and that one just sits around. So if you're intersted, let me know and I'll give you a good deal on it.

Oh yeah...I'll admit it does have some Hawaiian flowers on the tail of the topsheet. I mostly covered it up with a sticker!

• 5 years later...

Hi All,

I'm in the same boat, but realized that a lot has changed in 5 years.  13 year old girl, 1st year racer for SL & GS and she's heading to Nationals.  Understand that she should probably stick to her Burton for the big race, but thinking it might be a good time to purchase a good used racer board.  

I'm not sure how long she will stick with the racing, but want to make sure she has the right equipment.  And I'm clueless to the world of snowboarding...Any suggestions?  

Also, saw someone suggested two boards for GS & SL- any insight is helpful.  

Stick to what she's used to, for the Nationals. 

There you can shop for used gear. Look for the modern boards (titanal layers, decambered nose) if you can find a right flex/size for her weight and height. Weight is more important. 

If you can afford only one board, I'd buy an SL. It is possible to do GS on it, but would be close to impossible other way round. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Fairly similar guy here, 17, 140lbs, 5'11". I'm riding a 163 Donek Rev for SL, and a 170 Rev for GS. I don't know if the guysat YYZ talked to you about Pilot vs Rev, but the Pilot is a board for absolute beginner hardbooters. I had been on an old Rossi Pro Ride(older than I am) for maybe 15 days and Sean suggested getting the Rev, not the Pilot. The good thing about Donek boards is that Sean makes them to your specific weight, Your 130lb son could get a 185 made for him if he wanted. Probably 158 or 163 for SL, and 170 or 175 for GS, depending on what your son likes, and how long he plan's to use these boards.

Yes, you'll need a board for SL and another for GS. The sidecuts and gate offset are too different.

DO NOT try to learn a new set up 5 days before nationals, especially an alpine deck. Tried that, broke a leg. Not saying you'll get hurt, but you'll probably wind up being slower on the alpine deck than the softboot deck.

TL;DR Get a used alpine board, transfer to a Rev or similar later. Need two boards for SL and GS. Don't try new setup at nationals.