Note to New Members ×

Hi, remember me? Only alpine at Whistler?

ur13

Hi again (to those of you who remember me from way back). For those who do remember me I got way burned out on both slalom skateboards and snowboards for a long time (not to mention some personal drama circa 2006) and dropped out of both worlds for a long time. For those who remember me, hello again. To all those new names I don't know here, hello for the first time.

Come 2009 I have zero interest in riding/racing slalom skateboards but have re-found my love of snowboarding again.

I have a trip planned to Whistler in late February and to test the legs again I drove up Stratton, VT way this past weekend to see if I could still ride a snowboard (it had been over 2 years since I rode any type of board). I learned two things, three actually.

1). Snowboards are fun.

2). Alpine snowboarding is more fun.

3) I have almost zero interest in riding any snowboard that isn't an alpine board, even with hardboots.

I started the morning on my trusty original MADD 158, setup just as I left it some two years back. Within a few turns it all came back to me. Granted my shoulders, butt and head were a bit off, I couldn't get as low as I know I should and I was sloppy...but I could still ride alpine. Then to test my "all mountain board" (Donek Incline 164, 22" stance 30f/20r, new cateks with proper cant and lean) in a Whistler setup I clicked into that. Three runs later I stopped falling all over the place and started getting a feel for the wide board and shallow stance angles (compared to my 60/60 I run on the MADD 158)...and it hit me..."this sucks". It just wasn't that fun. I could handle trees, soft snow, crud and everything in between...I could carve wide arcs and do jump turns down steeps stuff...but it simply wasn't fun. So I went back to the MADD and went to some of the same trails. Things I wouldn't have even considered riding a alpine board on years ago were fun again, even skidding jump turns were needed was fun.

This lead me to think that I'm only bringing 3 alpine decks to Whistler in a few weeks, the Donek Incline (a fine board) will stay home. I haven't been to Whistler (technically I was at Blackcomb in the summer) since I was 18 years old.

I'm bringing the following quiver;

1) An original MADD 158

2) A MADD BX proto 158 with slight kick tail

3) Donek Freecarve II 163

Know that unlike my Stratton friends of old...a 163 is a LONG board for me...I never liked anything 170cm+...and I do have a history riding the Donek Freecarve as a all mountain (including powder) board. I am going with a group of friends to Whistler who are all casual soft boot riders and not the most aggressive folk on snow. Even if I didn't bring alpine boards I'd still end up riding groomers with them and given I've not ridden in some time there will be no real off-piste for me on this trip.

So I guess my question is this. Is the quiver above a reasonable one for a few days at Whistler? Or, given Sean could ship a board in a bit over 2 weeks, should I consider buying a Donek Axxess in the 167cm flavor (for all mountain riding)? I'd prefer to not purchase a new board this season and wait until next...and I did ride the Axxess years ago when it first came out and other than the tail and ability to ride fakie a touch better I found it about the same as my Freecarve II in feel and where I could take it... Has it change that much in the 4 or so years since I last rode it? The wider waist appeals to me for softer snow...but that is about it.

Oh and yes, I like shorter boards, as I said...and I know consider 167 a "long" board is silly in some people's eyes here. I know, I know.

So hello again to this I know, drop me a PM and we will talk if you like. Otherwise, hello to the new faces.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back.

Whistler has a variety of terrain, it seems to me that if you bring your favorite boards you'll have a good time. Do that and won't worry about it.

I have an FC 180something that I have ridden though all sorts of terrain, and lots of switch on groomers, and I've never had issues with the tail. Given that your friends aren't likely to push you hard, I wouldn't be worried about the tail on your FC.

That said, the only thing I don't like about short boards is short sidecuts. For the longer term (meaning, what follows isn't about Whistler), have you considered getting a custom that is the length you like, but with a bigger sidecut radius? 13m is the sweet spot for me, I had Donek build me an AX 172 with that radius and a 19cm waist and I couldn't be happier. It makes bigger turns at higher speeds, which IMO is just plain more fun.

Since you're coming here with your buddies who you said don't ride too fast, the boards you're bringing are suitable. Whistler has a lot of wide open (groomed) spaces. You may find it amusing that the shortest board I have is a 167. I wouldn't consider your views as silly regarding board lengths. Everything is relative. Doug Dryer and Bryan S. would look at my quiver and think it's average to short as board lengths go. We all buy boards that are suitable to where we're going to spend most of out time riding.

My fav fast cruiser on Whistler is ego bowl, under emerald express chair, but it's designated a learners area so you can't go too fast there without drawing unwanted attention.

If you want to test your skills on steeper groomed pitches, on Whistler there's a run called raven that's a black diamond that's usually groomed everyday. (just turn left at the top of Garbanzo chair). It not very long, but it's steep and wide. Bear paw on Whistler has some pretty steep pitches as well.

On Blackcomb my two fav carving runs are springboard (under the top part of Solar coaster express), and ridge runner (skiers right from the top of crystal chair). It's a very, very long one.

There are many, many more, but I'll let you discover for yourself as well.

later,

Dave R.

Welcome back.

That said, the only thing I don't like about short boards is short sidecuts. For the longer term (meaning, what follows isn't about Whistler), have you considered getting a custom that is the length you like, but with a bigger sidecut radius? 13m is the sweet spot for me, I had Donek build me an AX 172 with that radius and a 19cm waist and I couldn't be happier. It makes bigger turns at higher speeds, which IMO is just plain more fun.

I've had many custom boards made for me, some by Sean, some by others....I'm the opposite of you, I much prefer short sidecuts (8m is my taste which is why I love the MADD 158 so). I live in NYC and ride in the Adirondacks and Vermont mostly. In my mind snow isn't snow unless I can see my reflection in it. I'm not a soft snow person at all. It works for me. Though I realized recently that my snowboarding will generally be less in Vermont and more out west as I'll be traveling more (something I rarely did back when) so starting next season I may start looking for longer decks. I do agree with you on 13m feeling nice, which might work out west...

Mr_roboteye - Thanks for the local knowledge. I'll look for those areas. If you have any other local knowledge you'd like to drop...I'm all ears...

Civ - Hello again. Thanks for the props but I remember when you start destroying myself and Noah on the courses being set...you were killer back then.

Jack Michaud - Hello!

Neil Gendzwill - I did consider that. How close, literally, is the Prior factory to the village (where I'm staying) and the mountain?

Let me know what dates you are going to be there. I'm planning on riding about 5 days or so between the 16th and 22nd.

BTW, longer board with a slightly bigger side-cut. Too much fun to be had and such a wide variety of terrain. for reference, I'll be bringing my twin 172s... Coiler AM 172 and Tanker 172...now hopefully they get some more snow!

-Gord

I also vote for you stop into Prior's factory in whistler -- demo one of his 4X4 or a WCR --

I also vote for something longer.. the shortest I ride at Blackcomb/ and or Whistler is a 178 Volkl. This is a big ass mountain with long thigh tiring terrain. One of the best runs is Start at the top of Blackcomb 7th Heaven, head down into the glacier and head right to Ridge Runner - ride Ridge Runner as fast as you can. you will be tired at the bottom - it will now take you 3 chair lifts to get back up top.

I also vote for you stop into Prior's factory in whistler -- demo one of his 4X4 or a WCR --

I also vote for something longer.. the shortest I ride at Blackcomb/ and or Whistler is a 178 Volkl. This is a big ass mountain with long thigh tiring terrain. One of the best runs is Start at the top of Blackcomb 7th Heaven, head down into the glacier and head right to Ridge Runner - ride Ridge Runner as fast as you can. you will be tired at the bottom - it will now take you 3 chair lifts to get back up top.

I've ridden 4x4s, even owned one for a few weeks around 2001 or so, never liked it... too wide, too sloppy..and this is back when Prior's liked to delaminate at an alarming rate. But I would like to see the Prior factory and check out the new boards. I have a coworker who is a soft boot rider into big mountain riding who swears by them lately.

My Freecarve II is actually not stock...I had it made with a 12m sidecut instead of the stock 10m. It rides very long and should do fine at Whistler now that I think about it. Though I'll most likely stick to my MADD as I like it's ability to go deep and tight, especially on wide open groomer terrain.

Thanks for advice on where to play on the mountain...

I have a trip planned to Whistler in late February

hi UR13

i learned a lot from your posts over the years on skateboarding sites. if you are as knowledgeable about snowboarding as skateboarding then bomberonline is lucky to have you among the membership.

can you be more specific about the dates you will be snowboarding at whistler? i’ll try to drag mr. roboteye up with me and maybe we could get some riding tips from you. i know mr. roboteye is just as anxious to see a madd 158 as i am. Not too many madd’s in our part of the world.

i’m already committed to snowboard this 2nd weekend of february at the special 48 hour madness event at my local mountain (grouse)—last year i had the entire mountain to myself for a couple of hours as all the kids got sleepy at around 3 a.m. and went home. so if you are still in whistler the 3rd and/or 4th weekend of february then i am sure mr. roboteye and i can meet up with you for a few runs (especially if i pay for his lift ticket and buy him lunch lol.)

hope to be able to make some turns with you.

later,

doug

p.s. BLUEB and the rest of the vancouver crew, maybe we should bump up the date of our spring whistler get together to end of february?

hi UR13

i learned a lot from your posts over the years on skateboarding sites. if you are as knowledgeable about snowboarding as skateboarding then bomberonline is lucky to have you among the membership.

can you be more specific about the dates you will be snowboarding at whistler? i’ll try to drag mr. roboteye up with me and maybe we could get some riding tips from you. i know mr. roboteye is just as anxious to see a madd 158 as i am. Not too many madd’s in our part of the world.

i’m already committed to snowboard this 2nd weekend of february at the special 48 hour madness event at my local mountain (grouse)—last year i had the entire mountain to myself for a couple of hours as all the kids got sleepy at around 3 a.m. and went home. so if you are still in whistler the 3rd and/or 4th weekend of february then i am sure mr. roboteye and i can meet up with you for a few runs (especially if i pay for his lift ticket and buy him lunch lol.)

later,

doug

p.s. BLUEB and the rest of the vancouver crew, maybe we should bump up the date of our spring whistler get together to end of february?

I'm still the same person, and oddly the "knowledge" (if you want to call it that) I used to have on snowboards and skateboards comes back to me sometimes... though alot of it hardly seems relevant anymore. Alpine snowboarding has moved on to better things and slalom skateboarding I hardly recognize anymore (both gear and riders, though the courses seemed to have taken a step back from the little I have seen recently).

Anyway, I'll be is Whistler the week of Feb 23rd. Probably only on snow Friday and saturday of that week, though I'm still not sure what the people I'm going with and staying with have planned. This trip is partly social and partly for us to ride.

No worries about keeping up with me. It will most likely be the otherway around. I'm a bit rusty after 2 years off a board and my riding form is all over the place. For the rest of this season I'm simply going to enjoy riding a snowboard and wait until next year to really relearn how to ride.

If you see a dude in all black with yellow boots on a little Madd 158 then chances are that is me. I figured there aren't many of my kind out there.

:lol:

Thanks for the kudos, those were fun times 6 or 7 years ago.

hi UR13

later,

doug

If my first EI payment comes before then, count me in.

later,

Dave R.

UR13, welcome on board!

Hmmm... Roy is in the cast, Ruwi recovering from the op... As for me, Sunday is the only day I know I'll have off from work/babysitting, but that's my teaching day at Cypress at least till mid-March. Every now and then I can pull of the Friday, but I wouldn't know untill few days before... Let me know when about to go and I'll play along if I could.

Whistler this February:nono: My follow up with the surgeon is on the 23rd. Although the incision on my throat is healing fast and my energy and mood is very positive, it will be best for me to wait for March and Doctor's advise before riding again. Oh I can't wait to ride again.

Doug,

I will be at Grouse for the 48 Hrs madness. I will be there with my wife. Will be staying at the Chalet most of the time, occasionally venturing outside for fresh air. Will board the Gondola before or after midnight on Saturday. Hope to see you there..

ruwi:ices_ange:eek:

If my first EI payment comes before then, count me in.

later,

Dave R.

hi mr. roboteye and BLUEB

looks like it will be friday, february 27th as that’s the only day BLUEB can make it. i’ll phone DAVE* on the weekend but i think he’s real busy with his new job at the hospital. let me know by early next week if this schedule is okay with you guys and then we’ll make definite arrangements to meet with UR13 no later than february 20th. That way he has a week to decide what is the easiest way for him to meet us on the hill (or make up an excuse to avoid us lol.)

btw mr. roboteye it was my idea to go so you are my guest—i’ve got your lift ticket and lunch covered…..please don’t bring up the subject again.

Friday Feb 27th .... Whistler

I have that friday off, so I can go, no office chair strapped to my buttocks on that day ( cheating a bit with this post from work right now)

Keep me updated... Whistler via the creek or Blackcomb via the village, meet at what time and where?

Gotta run, things to set up

Dave*

Hi again (to those of you who remember me from way back). For those who do remember me I got way burned out on both slalom skateboards and snowboards for a long time (not to mention some personal drama circa 2006) and dropped out of both worlds for a long time. For those who remember me, hello again. To all those new names I don't know here, hello for the first time.

Come 2009 I have zero interest in riding/racing slalom skateboards but have re-found my love of snowboarding again.

I have a trip planned to Whistler in late February and to test the legs again I drove up Stratton, VT way this past weekend to see if I could still ride a snowboard (it had been over 2 years since I rode any type of board). I learned two things, three actually.

1). Snowboards are fun.

2). Alpine snowboarding is more fun.

3) I have almost zero interest in riding any snowboard that isn't an alpine board, even with hardboots.

I started the morning on my trusty original MADD 158, setup just as I left it some two years back. Within a few turns it all came back to me. Granted my shoulders, butt and head were a bit off, I couldn't get as low as I know I should and I was sloppy...but I could still ride alpine. Then to test my "all mountain board" (Donek Incline 164, 22" stance 30f/20r, new cateks with proper cant and lean) in a Whistler setup I clicked into that. Three runs later I stopped falling all over the place and started getting a feel for the wide board and shallow stance angles (compared to my 60/60 I run on the MADD 158)...and it hit me..."this sucks". It just wasn't that fun. I could handle trees, soft snow, crud and everything in between...I could carve wide arcs and do jump turns down steeps stuff...but it simply wasn't fun. So I went back to the MADD and went to some of the same trails. Things I wouldn't have even considered riding a alpine board on years ago were fun again, even skidding jump turns were needed was fun.

This lead me to think that I'm only bringing 3 alpine decks to Whistler in a few weeks, the Donek Incline (a fine board) will stay home. I haven't been to Whistler (technically I was at Blackcomb in the summer) since I was 18 years old.

I'm bringing the following quiver;

1) An original MADD 158

2) A MADD BX proto 158 with slight kick tail

3) Donek Freecarve II 163

Know that unlike my Stratton friends of old...a 163 is a LONG board for me...I never liked anything 170cm+...and I do have a history riding the Donek Freecarve as a all mountain (including powder) board. I am going with a group of friends to Whistler who are all casual soft boot riders and not the most aggressive folk on snow. Even if I didn't bring alpine boards I'd still end up riding groomers with them and given I've not ridden in some time there will be no real off-piste for me on this trip.

So I guess my question is this. Is the quiver above a reasonable one for a few days at Whistler? Or, given Sean could ship a board in a bit over 2 weeks, should I consider buying a Donek Axxess in the 167cm flavor (for all mountain riding)? I'd prefer to not purchase a new board this season and wait until next...and I did ride the Axxess years ago when it first came out and other than the tail and ability to ride fakie a touch better I found it about the same as my Freecarve II in feel and where I could take it... Has it change that much in the 4 or so years since I last rode it? The wider waist appeals to me for softer snow...but that is about it.

Oh and yes, I like shorter boards, as I said...and I know consider 167 a "long" board is silly in some people's eyes here. I know, I know.

So hello again to this I know, drop me a PM and we will talk if you like. Otherwise, hello to the new faces.

Welcome back ur13. :biggthump

You may want to demo some metal boards when you get the time.

I'm up to making some turns with locals and seeing some of the sweeter carving spots. As it gets closer I'll know more of my plan and my friend's plans for what is going on.

Again, I'm a bit rusty and hope you locals go easy on me.

I'll drop a email address here next week to set it all up.

Jim - Thanks. I plan on riding some metal next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll be on snow at Whistler this Thursday (Feb 26th) and Friday (Feb 27th) all day and possibly for a few hours Saturday (Feb 28th) morning early. I'll most likely be spending Thursday with the people I'm there to hang out with but would love to meet up with some locals for a few runs here and there most likely on Friday. As I said go easy on me, by Friday my legs will be mush...not to mention I'm going to be playing with my stance and board setup trying to figure out what gear I will buy for next season.

If for whatever reason we miss each other if you see a guy in all black (or a yellow soft shell if it's warmer), yellow HEAD boots and either a MADD 158 or red Donek that's me. I'll be the one lost on the mountain.

would love to meet up with some locals for a few runs here and there most likely on Friday.

hi mr. roboteye and Dave*

since you 2 have the most knowledge of whistler “time saving shortcuts”, could either of you please email UR13 and then let us all know either by email or posting on this thread about the meet up details?

we may have an extra guy (CRUCIBLE) joining us if he can draw down some banked holiday time from work so make sure he stays in the loop.

mr roboteye, i’ll stop by thursday evening to drop off your lift ticket as i might need to drive up separately since i am not sure whether i will be leaving from the valley or the city.

later

doug