Note to New Members ×

Hi, remember me? Only alpine at Whistler?

ur13

Hey TM, I left you a voicemail tonite. I'm working for one of my buddies this week. (and probably next week as well.) I just got called yesterday to start. My EI still hasn't started yet, so I really need the cash. I hope you all have some fun. It looks like you probably won't need your carving boards though.

later,

Dave R.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ola Guys

If this friday is still a go......

My two cents is to hit whistler side , go up via the creekside, that shaves about 10-15 minutes off for those of us coming up from the city. Avoid the gong show of the village I say.

I like to be parked by 0800, boots on by 0805 and in the lift line by 0810 to go up from the valley floor.. remember they start up loading at 0815 hrs , advertised is 0830..

I would suggest a meeting time of 0930 at the big light board between the roundhouse and the top of the Green/Emerald chair. If you show and leave you can post a message on the dry erase board. average round trip lap time from green chair is 8-9 min ( 5.5 min chair ~ 2-3min run ) , red chair is 12-15 min depending on route taken, you can plan accordingly .

For those that dont know me, I am easy to spot, I wear the only fluoro orange with black tiger stripes full face helmet that know of in these parts.

TM sent you an email response aboot 2 hrs ago

Dave*

Ola Guys

If this friday is still a go......

My two cents is to hit whistler side , go up via the creekside, that shaves about 10-15 minutes off for those of us coming up from the city. Avoid the gong show of the village I say.

I like to be parked by 0800, boots on by 0805 and in the lift line by 0810 to go up from the valley floor.. remember they start up loading at 0815 hrs , advertised is 0830..

I would suggest a meeting time of 0930 at the big light board between the roundhouse and the top of the Green/Emerald chair. If you show and leave you can post a message on the dry erase board. average round trip lap time from green chair is 8-9 min ( 5.5 min chair ~ 2-3min run ) , red chair is 12-15 min depending on route taken, you can plan accordingly .

For those that dont know me, I am easy to spot, I wear the only fluoro orange with black tiger stripes full face helmet that know of in these parts.

TM sent you an email response aboot 2 hrs ago

Dave*

hi UR13

i just forwarded you an email i got from DAVE*. his plan makes good sense so it looks like we will see you at the the lightboard beside the ROUNDHOUSE restaurant on top of whistler mountain at 9:30 am on friday.

if you want to make any changes please post on this thread to avoid endless rounds of email tag.

don’t worry about not being able to keep up since you are just a young guy in your thirties. i’m in my early fifties so i should be the one worried about keeping up lol.

here is a group photo of us and we will try to wear the same gear to help you identify us when we meet. DAVE* is the guy in the tiger striped fullface helmet in the middle of the photo and I am the guy on the far right in the black fullface helmet with duct tape all over my gloves. we may be using different boots and different snowboards depending on the snow conditions. BLUEB might be able to make it also—he’s the guy who has his board propped up on its tail. mr_roboteye has to work friday and apologizes for missing out. he’s the guy licking his board in the photo.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cloyal%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> wesapr20Small.jpg<o>:p></o>:p>

see you friday morning

doug

Emial has been sent to all of you guys.

I get in tomorrow and will get situated and figure out what my hosts have planned for my girlfriend and I for Thur and Fri. I'll email and post here once I know what my situation is. Some turns on Friday sounds great, I just can't say what time yet (gotta be a good guest first).

Once I know. You'll know.

If we miss one another for whatever reason. I'll be the guy on the silly short board. My Madd is 158, my soft Donek is 163...either one will be small to all you manly men on your giant boards.

I'm from the east coast. If i can't see my reflection in the snow, I'm out of my element...hahaha. All that fluffy stuff....blah!

I must absolutely agree, 100 %. Also like Dave Murray, but it's been too icy for a long time...

Since you're coming here with your buddies who you said don't ride too fast, the boards you're bringing are suitable. Whistler has a lot of wide open (groomed) spaces. You may find it amusing that the shortest board I have is a 167. I wouldn't consider your views as silly regarding board lengths. Everything is relative. Doug Dryer and Bryan S. would look at my quiver and think it's average to short as board lengths go. We all buy boards that are suitable to where we're going to spend most of out time riding.

My fav fast cruiser on Whistler is ego bowl, under emerald express chair, but it's designated a learners area so you can't go too fast there without drawing unwanted attention.

If you want to test your skills on steeper groomed pitches, on Whistler there's a run called raven that's a black diamond that's usually groomed everyday. (just turn left at the top of Garbanzo chair). It not very long, but it's steep and wide. Bear paw on Whistler has some pretty steep pitches as well.

On Blackcomb my two fav carving runs are springboard (under the top part of Solar coaster express), and ridge runner (skiers right from the top of crystal chair). It's a very, very long one.

There are many, many more, but I'll let you discover for yourself as well.

later,

Dave R.

This is for ondrej or UR13: How was the hardpack today?(Thursday) It's pretty cold up there right now. Did the new snow set up nice and hard or is it on the soft side. Since our snow has a pretty high moisture content, I suspect that it's set up to near hero snow. Let me know. Since there's not going to be any snow tonight, tomorrow will be even better. If one of you can give a favorable report I'll come up tomorrow (Friday).

At my casual job, the ground is a little too frozen to dig, so if it's going to be awesome snow tomorrow............

later,

Dave R.

I'll come up tomorrow (Friday).

later,

Dave R.

hi MR_ROBOT-EYE

i’ll stop by your place sometime between 8 and 10 pm to drop off a lift ticket for you.

ONDREJ: i replied to your post in your whistler thread.

UR13: i hope ONDREJ’s earlier post which contained the words DAVE MURRAY and ICY in the same sentence didn’t cause you to take that run sight unseen. chances are your whistler friends would have stopped you or at least spotted the infamous coaches corner for you. since your friends like BLACKCOMB better then hopefully you didn’t make it to the DAVE MURRAY DOWNHILL on whistler mountain. i suggest you not try it on a short 158 cm board. if you stubbornly insist, then at least wait for us to take you there tomorrow afternoon and we will try to spot coaches corner for you. coaches corner looks like an long innocuous sweeping right hand turn until the sneaky compression launches you about 6 feet in the air and at least 100 feet down the hill onto an off camber landing. even if you prejump just before the lip you are hauling so fast it’s impossible not to launch. not only do you have to deal with a sketchy landing but you gotta keeping cranking hard to the right. hopefully, my description has discouraged you.

hope we can make some turns with you tomorrow but only if it doesn't interfere with your host's plans.

later

doug

hi MR_ROBOT-EYE

i’ll stop by your place sometime between 8 and 10 pm to drop off a lift ticket for you.

doug

Thanks a lot. I'll be here all night.

coaches corner looks like an long innocuous sweeping right hand turn until the sneaky compression launches you about 6 feet in the air and at least 100 feet down the hill onto an off camber landing. even if you prejump just before the lip you are hauling so fast it’s impossible not to launch. not only do you have to deal with a sketchy landing but you gotta keeping cranking hard to the right. hopefully, my description has discouraged you.

When I lived in Whistler I went through that corner multiple times on a set of 217 world cup downhill skis at 120+km/h. I loved every second of it.

Dave R.

For Dave R.:

Hey, hardpack was beautiful. I'd never expect this. When I saw the deep layer of fresh snow and tons of people in the morning I was thinking that it couldn't last groomed for more than two hours but it was outstanding pretty much all day. I spent today all my time on Emerald and Garbanzo, wasn't very steep but quick and I had lots of fun with my long board there. I'm pretty sure it will be stunning tomorrow.

I also tried those gates for Kokanee race early in the morning but it was a Super G, too long turns for me, I could go fast but wouldn't enjoy it.

Around 2 pm there was another hardbooter on Whistler in dark green jacket but I didn't talk to him 'cause I just had swapped my board with my friend who has never set foot on raceboard before :-)

I didn't want to discourage anybody from Dave Murray. It is a perfect slope. I just was there about week ago and lost edge on the ice in pretty high speed and I ass felt like sliding on the asphalt :)

Have a good evening,

Ondrej

This is for ondrej or UR13: How was the hardpack today?(Thursday) It's pretty cold up there right now. Did the new snow set up nice and hard or is it on the soft side. Since our snow has a pretty high moisture content, I suspect that it's set up to near hero snow. Let me know. Since there's not going to be any snow tonight, tomorrow will be even better. If one of you can give a favorable report I'll come up tomorrow (Friday).

At my casual job, the ground is a little too frozen to dig, so if it's going to be awesome snow tomorrow............

later,

Dave R.

Hey guys. So the only Internet access I have up here it via my iPhone. So this message is costing me like $4.50 to write.

I rode today, started on the blackcomb side and got bounced around for a few hours then took the peak to peak over to whistler and found some better stuff to ride. I found the conditions far to my liking over there. Spent some time on the upper mountain but ended doing laps on the Olympic chair in the sun until my legs gave out around 3. Call me a wuss but that chair and what it services rocks. It could be steeper and I feel sorry for the beginners dealing with my ruts. But doing laps on hero snow in the sun with a slow triple chair (to rest the legs) is my idea of heaven.

So all of those people who emailed me...

I'll be doing laps on that chair tomorrow, starting around 10am, so if you want to ride with me come find me there. I'll be on the MADD tomorrow as I spent the day on the donek and found the 10m sidecut too big. So if you can slum it for some laps come over to the Olympic chair. Maybe you locals can talk me into going elsewhere if it is that smooth. If not feeling being knocked around tomorrow... Nor are me shins/calves!

I did try upper dave Murray today. I could see that being fun but by the time I got there it was bumpy as hell. There was some other fun stuff to skiers left of it too. But none of it was as smooth as the Olympic area.

Maybe I'll see some of you tomorrow.

is everyone still meeting at the roundhouse lift status indicator at 9:30? I am in whistler at the moment and have borrowed a prior for tomorrow so would like to ride with some other carvers.

Nobody has said anything different, so that is where I'll be. I'll be coming out of the village though, not creekside because I'm bringing more than one board and I'm using the stor-a-ski near the lightboard (on Whistler). See you all there tomorrow.

ONDREJ. Thanks for the report. I suspected the snow would firm up real nice, because the on mountain temps overnight are around -12c or colder. I'll be honest and say I'm getting a little hot in the pants thinking about how good the snow will be tomorrow.

All the boards I'm bringing are yellow, so I'll be easy to spot.

ONDREJ, if you get off work early enough, maybe some of us can go for a pint at the Crystal or the Cinnamon bear. I know that Dave* will most probably be down with it because that's what we usually do.

BTW: The highway should be OK, but good thing I've got this now. In the snow? A veddy niice (Borat voice)

truckresize2.jpg

carving dreams for all,

Dave R.

When I was at Prior's earlier Chris said that he might come along as well so there could be a few people! - what a change from being the only carver on the mountain for the last week - well actually I have seen two others.

I am going to park on blackcomb near the tube park and ride down to the whistler gondola then maybe ride on the emerald until 9:30. If is as cold as this morning then I may be in the cafe warming up with a coffee! The snow was great today and the weather perfect - one of my all-time best days on any mountain anywhere. I expected lots of powder and knee high moguls but actually it was pretty good for carving and should be better tomorrow.

Hey guys. So the only Internet access I have up here it via my iPhone. So this message is costing me like $4.50 to write.

I rode today, started on the blackcomb side and got bounced around for a few hours then took the peak to peak over to whistler and found some better stuff to ride. I found the conditions far to my liking over there. Spent some time on the upper mountain but ended doing laps on the Olympic chair in the sun until my legs gave out around 3. Call me a wuss but that chair and what it services rocks. It could be steeper and I feel sorry for the beginners dealing with my ruts. But doing laps on hero snow in the sun with a slow triple chair (to rest the legs) is my idea of heaven.

So all of those people who emailed me...

I'll be doing laps on that chair tomorrow, starting around 10am, so if you want to ride with me come find me there. I'll be on the MADD tomorrow as I spent the day on the donek and found the 10m sidecut too big. So if you can slum it for some laps come over to the Olympic chair. Maybe you locals can talk me into going elsewhere if it is that smooth. If not feeling being knocked around tomorrow... Nor are me shins/calves!

I did try upper dave Murray today. I could see that being fun but by the time I got there it was bumpy as hell. There was some other fun stuff to skiers left of it too. But none of it was as smooth as the Olympic area.

Maybe I'll see some of you tomorrow.

hi UR13

great you didn't make it to LOWER dave murray where the corner is. you'll be easy to spot on the OLYMPIC chair tomorrow so just enjoy yourself and we'll hunt you down. see you tomorrow--i'll buy you lunch.

later

doug

ONDREJ, if you get off work early enough, maybe some of us can go for a pint at the Crystal or the Cinnamon bear. I know that Dave* will most probably be down with it because that's what we usually do.

I guess you'll need this, my area code is the same as Whistlers' xxx-807-1369.

later,

Dave R.

OK, I guess I'll start with the post mortem..................

Conditions were near perfect. A little overcast first thing in the morning, clearing quickly to bluebird with lots of sun and cool temps. There was about 1" of dust on top of soft groom. If you really leaned your board over you would dig in a bit deep and could lose your edge. As the day went on it firmed up from skier packing.

It was a real honor to ride today with some of the people that I have come to know lately. It was nice to meet NIGELC, and UR13.

I didn't really expect Chris Prior to be there because of his business commitments and such, but he did in fact show up, and Nigelc(briefly) Dave*, tenorman, and myself had some turns with Chris. He is a really good rider, he gets quite low in the turns, and can carve a black diamond pitch with style. For all you stance queens, he rides a 22", pretty wide. He was riding one of his newest creations today: A lime green topsheeted, 2009?(secret) construction, non hammerhead, 177 WCR metal, outfitted with TD3 step-ins. He left when we all went in for lunch, but it was great to have him there.

Oddly enough I saw myself as the weak link in the chain today because I'm so out of shape. My legs were done by 2:30, but I did push myself pretty hard. I rode my rossi WC 184 and my burton 189 / 195 team board. The 189 is a beast. I would descride it as similar to a sims burner 188, but a might softer and more forgiving. The rossi is real light in comparison. When you turn with the burton under your feet, you know there's something of substance there.

A big thanks to tenorman for his generosity today. He's a real class act. There was lots of jovial laughter and friendly jabs on all the chairlift rides. Chris Prior likes to get in on the jokes as well.

I had some fantastic turns today and hope everyone else involved did as well.

Edit: We missed you Boris, all of us will probably go up to ride during the WSSF in April, Chris Prior will be there with some demos too.

later,

Dave R.

I guess you'll need this, my area code is the same as Whistlers' xxx-807-1369.

later,

Dave R.

Ondrej, I'm so sorry I didn't answer your text. I meant to push "reply" and accidentally pushed "delete" on my phone. I feel like a useless friggin' tit for that.

We were all off the hill by 3:30pm, before you were off work. We will all definitely come up in April for the world ski and snowboard festival (or sooner).

later,

Dave R.

Post Mortem Part Two.

Its a good thing you guys rode herd on me yesterday and didnt let me escape. After our group disbanded I began poking into some of my old powder stashes, there was a fair bit of dry champagne knee deep stuff to be had, sadly by around 3 pm my legs were rubber and I felt I had to remove myself from the arboreal setting for my own safety. Should have been on the ATV.

Not sure whats happening nowadays, back in the old days when staying in whistler I would never have left untouched powder like that nor would any of the other locals of the era.

All in all a great day, except when I was navigating, blubird skies, hero cord, dry powder, good crew to ride with, and Prior hooked me up with some used red spring BTS and more Ptex scraps to work with.

Seen some of the old faces down Priors shop too, Chalmers and Yoda both stopped by while I was in, had a good BS session with them.

and Nigelc(briefly)

sorry guys I lost you at the beginning! I didnt really know where I was going and was following someone - i thought onto the emerald chair, but at the top nobody was there and that was that. Anyway I had a great day out on the harmony and symphony lifts and the conditions were perfect. I have had two days now on that Prior metal 177 and i may have to abscond with it. yesterday there was alot of fairly hard and sketchy snow with icy patches and this thing doesnt even seem to notice. its like cheating!

Back in Manhattan after another grueling flight home.

It was nice to meet some of you locals. It was a bummer you found me after I had 3.5 hours on my legs of direct carving on the Madd, but still it was nice to meet you guys. Nigel, sorry we never met up...but it sounds like you had a great day as well. Good on you!

You locals have a beautiful mountain. On the downside, if I lived around there I'd rarely ride alpine gear... I'd probably ski most of the time or at the very least ride softies and a big mountain/powder board. There is just too much fun stuff out there that would keep me from my hardboots (as much as I adore them). It seemed the two days i rode were some of the "hardest" and "blueest" you guys have had in some time (as I gathered on the lifts). Maybe I brought you guys some east coast love.

I'll be back. It was grueling trip travel-wise, but that sure is a beautiful part of the world.

Not to mention Vancouver is amazing (my GF and I spent some time there on Saturday, at Granville market and one very amazing Dim Sum place!).