Note to New Members ×

And here I thought it was hard.

photodad2001

I talk to alot of kids ages 15 - 19. Its kind of funny what they think carving is. For the most part they confuse turning with carving. In alot of their minds turning is carving. To each their own but I'm always quick to show them the difference. A matter of fact this was a question on Jeopardy. They had a category called "snowboarding". One of the questions had a quick video of a girl turning her board down the slope for the most part sliding her edges as she said something like, " this motion is what a snowboarder does to turn direction" The answer was "What is carving." As you can see I think most people associate carving with turning but don't really understand the true idea.

Skiers are even worse... :barf:

'Hey check out my new carving gear, it has an 8.5 m radius, look how tight I can carve....'

Sure buddy, but should not you leave a single carved line in the snow instead of shaving the snow off the mountain...... :AR15firin

Many times I had to show them the difference from the chairlift..... and even then, they were 100% convinced that they did carve....... :flamethro

You know, you can bitch and moan about people's definition of carving, but I really don't give a sh!t as long as they aren't straightlining. So what if they aren't carving?

I'm with ya, as long as they're in control and riding safely I totally don't care ... though I have to admit, I frequently have to choke back laughter whenever some 27" stance softbooter tells me that they love to charge hard and carve with their 8m radius tongue depressors. Not that you can't carve in softboots, but I find that what (most) softbooters refer to as carving just is far from it indeed.

You know, you can bitch and moan about people's definition of carving, but I really don't give a sh!t as long as they aren't straightlining. So what if they aren't carving?

No bi#$%ing or moaning here. Just making fun of some people's idea of something that is way off. Both of these videos are of Aspen instructors I think. They should know better. Actually there is another video of the guy I posted on how to go fast. He is using some ankle carving technique at speed and looks like a good rider. So not poking fun at their riding, just their definition of carving. I think it's almost 4:20 :rolleyes: Time for your medication. JK.

No bi#$%ing or moaning here. Just making fun of some people's idea of something that is way off. Both of these videos are of Aspen instructors I think. They should know better. Actually there is another video of the guy I posted on how to go fast. He is using some ankle carving technique at speed and looks like a good rider. So not poking fun at their riding, just their definition of carving. I think it's almost 4:20 :rolleyes: Time for your medication. JK.

Wrong time zone. ;)

Actually, Mt. (get) High is finally cracking down on weed in the parking lot. Finally no more stoners that go "Whoa.." at everything on the lift.

That stuff gives you boobies and makes you allergic to barber shops..

On topic, they can call carving "curing AIDS" for all I care. Whatever makes them feel good about themselves and keeps them in control. Another way to look at it is I don't know jack about jibbing, and I'm sure I say lots of stupid stuff about that.

It's a conspiracy......

See, in their minds, if they can scam a word that we use to define our sport then they think they are stealing our legitimacy.

It's all being brought about by Uncle Jake and the "Trendsetters". They're planting the seeds of our ruin!

You'll see, just wait. All of the mass produced boards for the '09-'10 season will be marketed as "carving" boards.

I've got to get back to my survivalist forums now. See you folks later.

Cheers,

-T

I think someone here should produce instructional videos demonstrating carve vs skarve vs skid. A lot of the alpine videos I see are more about the riders showing what they can do rather than being a teaching tool. A lot of great tips are passed around on these forums but having an expert break down the technique on video would be really awesome.

It will be a great way to spread carving and reduce the amount of snow plowing on our groomers :eplus2:

I think expert village should have had this girl do the carving vid. She could have side slipped the whole run, but if she winked at the end, I'd have been happy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G836MDBhEpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G836MDBhEpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BobD