Note to New Members ×

Carving photo in SnowEast magazine

patmoore

Just my opinion, thought I would see the reaction I would get by critiquing the one they call the "carve father".

Remember that sh!t storm about the knees together from a few years back you got in? I think that would pale in comparison to criticizing the Carve Father. :eplus2:

Doesn't he ride at Hunter in NY? His form probably comes from riding the ice there all the time.

As Geoff says he is a blast to ride with and a good Ambassador to the sport.

Doesn't he ride at Hunter in NY? His form probably comes from riding the ice there all the time.

Yeah, that's what he always emphasizes, that his technique works well on icy conditions - and he is a pass holder at Hunter. He's super friendly and always interested in helping people out with their carving.

Remember that sh!t storm about the knees together from a few years back you got in? I think that would pale in comparison to criticizing the Carve Father. :eplus2:

Yeah, that was fun, I love technical threads. Anyways, that thread wasn't just about riding with the knees together. The knees end up together by the way the body is positioned through the turn.

I'm sure the "carvefather" is a great guy, but he must have a sore lower back riding hunched over all the time. With a more upright body position you can substitute angultation with more compression to shorten the body and complete the high speed turn, in my opinion. I ride on ice all the time as well, in fact right now some of the ice balls are the size of baseballs. So I have had to make due for a long time. The fact is there is more than one way to effectively ride less than perfect conditions.

It's good to want the sport to grow, and I can tell from his video he is a high energy guy, and probably a blast to ride with.

I try to be a good ambassador to bringing back the carving movement myself. I feel the best way is to be open to as many riding styles as possible and realize that one style doesn't suit everybody. That is the only reason I question certain riding when I know another method works great as well, and know it could help others enjoy carving more.

Ron's a great guy and loves to ride. Fluffy seems a lil defensive.

Sorry to offend. I apologize. Like I said, I'm sure he is a stand up guy. But... he does have The carve father embroidered on his jacket, so by doing that, you need to allow yourself to be put under some scrutiny. Don't you think?

Just a first impression, over the internet. It's nothing personal. And I'm sure I'll get in trouble for saying this much, but... just what I thought when I first saw the jacket, thats all.

Fluffy.

Who or what is CMC?

I've seen video of the one they call El father de carve, he rides very aggressive, just a very compressed rider. I was more interested in his jacket. (not this jacket pictured, the carvefather jacket.)...."not that there is anything wrong with that." -George Costanza

Who or what is CMC?

CMC=Carve Master Curt aka Curt Debartolo (sp?) a student of JG's with serious opinions on Carving. Not very PC and is no longer welcome here (I think) the guy does rail though and he's way faster than me on a Slalom board too (like he could be nationally ranked). He used to live down the beach from me (Charlestown) in the Summer but I don't know if that is still true. Riding with Curt is as much an education as riding with any other really good carver and he's a nice guy in person