Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

sometimes you have to go back....

since I had a hall pass whilst my Honi is in oaktown this weekend, I got to ride both Saturday and Sunday. I have not felt any consistent flow this season, maybe a drop or 2 here and there, and felt the need to do something about it. Instead of charging as hard as I could as per usual,  I decided to step it back a bit , go back to basics, and spend some time with erazz.  That was the best thing I could have done for my riding. I just rode, easily and lazily, and watched all of those issues that I was having start to fade away. It was fun, and totally necessary. Saturdays crew included The Sherriff, sporting a rather impressive grey beard, Racer H, Mr Awesomely Positive, The Odd One, erazz, and myself.

To go forward.....

I started today easily as well, the combination of achy bodyparts and shakey confidence where not conducive to coming out of the gate at my normal 11, and it paid off. I found my healside, and my stick stopped shooting me down the hill at mach looney( didn't even hit 50mph today, yeah!!!!), and every thing   just   slowed   down. It was good, I've been looking for this day all season, and I'm glad I finally found it.

In addition to yesterdays cast of characters, sans the sheriff and erazz, we where joined by James and Coach inky. Ink, nice job with the pearls of wisdom, it was nice to see instantaneous  results with your 2 pupils today, they applied so much quicker than I ever did, well played sir!   Odd job, you're an ANIMAL, and I am really impressed. You've come a long long  way from that kook using 6 different riding styles in one turn just a short few years ago, now if you could just reengage that filter.....

mario

• Like 5

So - I may be accused of being boring (wouldn't be the 1st time) but how was the: drive up, snow conditions, crowds, weather & drive home?

Jim & Angie are planning a free demo day next Sunday (2/26) and again on Sunday 3/36. So, I may have to overcome my phobia and make a journey up on a weekend. 

Drive up: Crowded.

Snow conditions: not bad (expecting really good this weekend)

Crowds: Kookfest (read people with selfie sticks lying across catwalk)

Drive home: The usual.  I imagine people were more inclined to stay up seeing as it was a long weekend.

Bottom line: If you measure your fun by those metrics you will not have any (fun that is).   Might consider a different metric.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John E said:

So - I may be accused of being boring (wouldn't be the 1st time) but how was the: drive up, snow conditions, crowds, weather & drive home?

Jim & Angie are planning a free demo day next Sunday (2/26) and again on Sunday 3/36. So, I may have to overcome my phobia and make a journey up on a weekend. 

Sunday: I-70 approach was refreshingly light. Snow was hero to a bit soft (for the weighty one). Occasional inconsistent groom. Sun and gentle breezes with late morning intermittent clouds. Kooks in groups. Patience rewarded openings. 6 carvers. Massive snow reconfiguration. Brakes rarely applied east bound.

That phobia can be easily overcome by repeatedly making the trek and enjoying some Sunday slopeside sillyness, with your friends.

3/36?

James

Edited by Dusty Bottle
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, John E said:

It sounds like you should come on both days.  The Sundays I have been this year haven't been ridiculous.  Slopes a little busy, but nothing like an EPIC resort.  Seems like most of the LCI ride all out for the morning then get on the road early to avoid the traffic.  Lets get some turns in, John!

Aaron

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dusty Bottle said:

Sunday: I-70 approach was refreshingly light. Snow was hero to a bit soft (for the weighty one). Occasional inconsistent groom. Sun and gentle breezes with late morning intermittent clouds. Kooks in groups. Patience rewarded openings. 6 carvers. Massive snow reconfiguration. Brakes rarely applied east bound.

That phobia can be easily overcome by repeatedly making the trek and enjoying some Sunday slopeside sillyness, with your friends.

3/36?

James

Oops - I guess that March is so great they extended it by 5 days. I meant Sunday 3/26. 

17 hours ago, erazz said:

Drive up: Crowded.

Snow conditions: not bad (expecting really good this weekend)

Crowds: Kookfest (read people with selfie sticks lying across catwalk)

Drive home: The usual.  I imagine people were more inclined to stay up seeing as it was a long weekend.

Bottom line: If you measure your fun by those metrics you will not have any (fun that is).   Might consider a different metric.

I view snowboarding like many other pursuits: There is a fun to hassle factor. If there is a big dump of powder to offset the huge hassle (waking early, dealing with bad driving conditions and crowded roads, crowded slopes, etc.) then it is "worth it" to me. If I have to deal with a similar hassle factor to carve (even good carving conditions) I question the value. Great carving can be had mid-week. I tried this once & I was shocked how relaxing it was.

Also, I'm probably spoiled by ATC: great grooming with very few crowds. I think we averaged 25k vertical feet each day for 3 days. We quit around 2 - 3 each day because we were exhausted - not because the slopes got cut up or crowded. Few straightliners.

However, all of this said, I know that great days often happen because one is willing to go frequently - great days often aren't planned.

I likely will attend 2/26 or 3/26 to try out a different board.   

47 minutes ago, John E said:

I view snowboarding like many other pursuits: There is a fun to hassle factor. If there is a big dump of powder to offset the huge hassle (waking early, dealing with bad driving conditions and crowded roads, crowded slopes, etc.) then it is "worth it" to me. If I have to deal with a similar hassle factor to carve (even good carving conditions) I question the value. Great carving can be had mid-week. I tried this once & I was shocked how relaxing it was.

Also, I'm probably spoiled by ATC: great grooming with very few crowds. I think we averaged 25k vertical feet each day for 3 days. We quit around 2 - 3 each day because we were exhausted - not because the slopes got cut up or crowded. Few straightliners.

However, all of this said, I know that great days often happen because one is willing to go frequently - great days often aren't planned.

I likely will attend 2/26 or 3/26 to try out a different board.   

You are seriously overthinking this :)

Come on up!  Large crew.  We'll scare off the kooks!

2 hours ago, inkaholic said:

From your above message Kite, I assume that we will be seeing you on Sunday?

We look forward to it. 

I just posted up on IG to help get the word out for @bomberoutfitters. If you have an IG account I hope others will promote it as well.

Ink

Yes, will be there and the next one. For once I won't be getting off a 12 hr shift right before the lifts open. Looking forward to it! By the looks of it so far I think we will have a great group.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John E said:

I view snowboarding like many other pursuits: There is a fun to hassle factor.

Isn't this sort of the universal calculus behind every conscious decision? "We should have kids, they'll be a blast! But then we will have to act responsibly." "I would like to have sex with you. But we have no birth control and the pharmacy is a long drive." I'm pretty sure Aesop wrote a fable about this. It makes me feel better about sweeping the leaves out of the garage on a Sunday afternoon.

I've only pulled the pin early once, and that was an early season day when I got in a whopping 3 runs after an hour and a half. For me every turn lays a foundation for the next, from those shitty early season slarves and pullouts because I just got strafed by 10 year old racer to those late season Buddha belly dragging toesides. Turns are turns, and as time goes by, they get better and better. So unless I become fabulously wealthy and can afford to be a riding bum, and riding where and when I want,  I will keep on getting up early on sunday, hitting it stupidly hard and wasting my legs early, and heading back down the hill early afternoon with a permagrin plastered across my face until next sunday. Some days start out crappy, and finish amazingly, you will never know until you try, and things are only going to get worse on the hills and highways as time goes on, as more and more people  head to the slopes

You need to grab it while you can, or you may miss that perfect day while you are sitting home waiting for it

mario

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, big mario said:

I will keep on getting up early on sunday, hitting it stupidly hard and wasting my legs early, and heading back down the hill early afternoon with a permagrin plastered across my face until next sunday. Some days start out crappy, and finish amazingly, you will never know until you try, and things are only going to get worse on the hills and highways as time goes on, as more and more people  head to the slopes. You need to grab it while you can, or you may miss that perfect day while you are sitting home waiting for it

WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?!? LET'S DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, big mario said:

I've only pulled the pin early once, and that was an early season day when I got in a whopping 3 runs after an hour and a half. For me every turn lays a foundation for the next, from those shitty early season slarves and pullouts because I just got strafed by 10 year old racer to those late season Buddha belly dragging toesides. Turns are turns, and as time goes by, they get better and better. So unless I become fabulously wealthy and can afford to be a riding bum, and riding where and when I want,  I will keep on getting up early on sunday, hitting it stupidly hard and wasting my legs early, and heading back down the hill early afternoon with a permagrin plastered across my face until next sunday. Some days start out crappy, and finish amazingly, you will never know until you try, and things are only going to get worse on the hills and highways as time goes on, as more and more people  head to the slopes

You need to grab it while you can, or you may miss that perfect day while you are sitting home waiting for it

mario

Preach!

• Like 1