Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Ladies and Gentleman of Colorado. A new member posted this somewhere else by mistake. He is Korean and could use a hand in getting started with alpine. I am hoping to help him get the conversation going here. Any time and help would surely be appreciated.

Hello, I am in Virginia and I really want to switch over alpine snowboard but I have not seen any alpine carvers in Virginia. Therefore, I will be in Denver 12/20-12/31 2013 and 3/703/16 2014. I already purchased a epic local season pass and flights tickets and I am searching to buy alpine gear now. It will be my first time to ride alpine snowboard and I heard that it is important to learn how to ride especially alpine snowboard compared to freesnowboard. I am wondering where and how I can get either free lesson or cheap lessons. I hope I can join with you guys and get some valuable tips. Please let me know if you guys have some ideas to improve my first alpine snowboarding in Denver. I want to buy gears now but I cannot order them because I do not have self-confidence for alpine snowboard without any help...Thank you.

His id is mugika2 .

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Hello, I just want to add more information about my status based on Moderator's thread. I am Korean and a doctoral student from Virginia. I am eager to improve my alpine skills by beginning my life with proper technique for alpine but there is lack of information about alpine. I know it is a very early time to post my message but I hope you guys can give me some advices such as joining your group with free lessons/tips or cheaper lessons. Please give me some advices and then I will appreciate for your help.

Ps. Thanks to Bryan and Michellle for your help.

Edited by mugika2

Mugika2

I sent you an email with this link http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/newcarver/new_carver.html

Youe time would be well spent reading the articles, viewing the videos on You-Tube and finding articles of interest in the threads here on BOL. Time to do the homework and prepare for classes in the fall. :)

I have collected dozens of alpine snowboard videos on my You-Tube channel "FineLineClub"

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Hello, I just want to add more information about my status based on Moderator's thread. I am Korean and a doctoral student from Virginia. I am eager to improve my alpine skills by beginning my life with proper technique for alpine but there is lack of information about alpine. I know it is a very early time to post my message but I hope you guys can give me some advices such as joining your group with free lessons/tips or cheaper lessons. Please give me some advices and then I will appreciate for your help.

Ps. Thanks to Bryan and Michellle for your help.

Mugika2,

There are good number of carvers in NoVA/MD/DC and we usually ride at Whitetail (sometime WISP) on weekday. Once season starts, look into VA/MD/PA forum where we post for upcoming gathering. We are not experts/gurus but should be able to give you some points here and there when we ride together. Of course, if you have any question on techniques, post them too.

Looking to hit North Table the morning of June 26th, first ever mtn bike ride out west... Hoping to rent a XL Pivot Mach 429 Carbon bike from Golden Bike, supposedly it will fit my 6'7" frame...

Ben, let us know what the rest of your schedule looks like, maybe some of us can get out with you. If Ntm proves to be too tame, I know of a few nearby that might be a touch more challenging......:eplus2:

mario

Ben, let us know what the rest of your schedule looks like, maybe some of us can get out with you. If Ntm proves to be too tame, I know of a few nearby that might be a touch more challenging......:eplus2:

mario

Looking like I am only going to be able to get out Wednesday morning. So NTM will be a good first taste, see how I do at 6500' versus 300' back home. I think I will be back in September.

And with that said...

I might try to get out of work (in Greenwood Village) today (Tuesday) around 4:00ish, drop my stuff off at the hotel and then go pick up my bike demo at Golden Bike Shop in Golden. If I have time once I get my bike I might try for a night ride. I'll buy new lights from them if I have to, could use them anyways. Does North Table allow for night riding? I'll ask the shop and search the web too. So, if anyone might want to get out for a ride this evening let me know. Just keep in mind you guys are most likely in way better shape than I am, as a low lander, slower rider anyways, so don't expect a fast pace…..it would be sweet if I could get two rides in, possibly two different places…

Ben, Green Mtn allows night riding and is just off 6th ave when you are going to/from Golden. You could hit it on your way home. Don't forget that darkness doesn't set until 845ish so there is still plenty of time to get a ride in this evening, even without lights. Also there are lots of rides in the golden area that you could hit. I would love to join you but I'm currently nursing some broken ribs and find breathing a bit difficult. Talk with GBS and get directions to another ride then have fun.

Ink

Big Mario and Inkaholic, maybe next time we can hook for a ride. I ended up riding North Table Mountain (North Table loop -> Mesa Top Table climb -> Cottonwood Canyon -> North Table loop) last evening and Lair O' the Bear (Bear Creek Trail) this morning. Both were great for a CT lowlander (~300' above sea level). Really enjoyed them both! I am planning on being back in September, and then again in probably February for work. May have to make some family vacations in there too! I had a blast, so different than CT / East Coast riding I am used to....

Ben, glad you had a good couple of rides, I thought about lair last night,but figured it would be a bit crowded and opted for Inks back yard, Aldefer/Three sisters instead since it was on they way home from the job I am currently on. Just got back from a monster 2300' elevation gain ride that I haven't done in years, Elk Meadow/Bergen Peak. And I apparently did it the hard way, counterclockwise. Its always been tough, but now it is truly a technical nightmare, lots of rocks, roots, and about 2 dozen switchbacks on the way up. I lost track after 10. I. am. tired.

mario

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Centennial cone from mayhem gulch today, 17 miles and 3000 vertical. felling a little tired. need to have word with my bike mechanic, 2/3rds of the way through the loop my left crank came off. what a hack, has he never heard of a tourqe wrench?

mario

• 3 weeks later...
Question for the mountain bike gang there. Has anyone ever dealt with PUSH in Loveland ?

Hey John,

I'm about as subtle as a sledge hammer as far as shock settings go, and not much of a tinkerer in general, though I do like the fox ctd shock on my new Santa Cruz heckler v6.3. You might want to take a look here: http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-front-range/

I have read more than a few testimonials about these guys, and most people love 'em. If you are a member, try a search first before you ask any questions, most of the posters over there can be worse than those goons from loon, at least they have been in the past.

mario