Note to New Members ×

newbie help: leading leg tires on heelside

Loc

So this is my 2nd alpine season and I'm still pretty green given my 1st was cut way short due to an injury. I've been on the mountain a few times this season and found that my leading left leg burns on heelsides. I'm not sure why but I've noticed it happening when I'm going faster and making bigger turns. This doesn't happen on toe sides though, so I'm wonder if it's technique or the way my gear is set up.

I'm riding TD1 on an ATV 171 with a 0 plate in front and 3 plate in back. Shoulder width stance. As for technique, I try to be conscious about keeping my hands out in front and shoulders forward like superman so I don't counter-rotate and push my right knee down into the turn on heelsides.

Maybe I just need to hit the gym :freak3: Any tips?

"Quadriceps to Command Center, Command Center, come in.",

"This is Command Center, what's the issue?"

"We've gone anaerobic, we fear the worst.."

*crashing noises*

"OH DEAR GOD THE LACTIC ACID! IT BURNS!"

Sorry, that wasn't funny.

If you were hurt, you're probably out of shape. I was an animal from playing football, then I got a concussion and multiple shoulder injuries. Now I tire after 2 hours. You'll be back.

If it is only one leg, something is not ok there.

Try to play around with settings (stance width, angle, cant, lift, etc). 1-2 degrees and / or 1-2 cm should help.

If it is only one leg, something is not ok. Snowboarding if done properly should come with equal muscle pain all over your body.. ;-)

If it is only one leg, something is not ok. Snowboarding if done properly should come with equal muscle pain all over your body.. ;-)

Agreed... maybe look at putting some toe lift under the front foot. Might not be easy to find the cant pieces for the TD1 so just reverse your setup. Put your 3 degree under the front foot and 0 degree under your rear foot. Go ride and see how it feels.

Could be also technique. Strange you only have it on your backside. I also had this problem in the former days. Has mostly to do with using too much strength and a lack of technique (in my case). I mostly stood too much on my forefoot and wasn't relaxed enough. So too much tension on the muscles on my front leg, and then I was mostly done within a few hour (exhausted). Too much braking also on the backside, using too much strenth and energy.

I am just shooting but don't know if I hit something here. A video or picture might help. Or may be another snowboarder could see what the problem is.

"shoulder width stance" sounds vague. I'd make sure you're not too wide as IMO could force you to drive your cg towards the front of the board too much. I've found that narrowing my stance (30" inseam, 17.5" stance) has lead to much easier turn initiation, especially on heelsides. "Shoulder wide" for me was 21 and initiating a heelside was a herculean effort.

Angles you're running come into play if you're adding front cant.

Setback?

A forward angled stance will make the heel of your back foot the hardest point to pressure.

If you put all your gear on and lean against the wall in your favoured heelside position, you might find that you have pressure on the toes of your back foot, even though you are on a heel edge. In extreme cases, this will manifest in 90% of your weight being on the front foot through the whole turn.

A very strange feeling, no?

In the videos section, you'll find some great footie of JJ Anderson in a PGS course. You had mentioned counter rotation. Watch his heelturn, as just above and rounding the gate, he comes back to centre alingnment. After a touch of rotation / anticipation to initiate, this looks like counter rotation. It is.

If you continually rotate through a heel turn, the pressure is forced up to the toe box of the rear foot. If you come back to neutral alignment you'll feel the pressure come back to where you want it. This will feel especially noticeable at a standstill, against the wall.

whenever I get tired in one leg, I usually find that I am staying in the same position over the board throughout the turn. If you are familiar with the "feed the dollar" idea that is what you need to focus on. your balance point relative to the board should move rearward through the turn. if you plant your weight in one spot over the board and just lean to turn, you will get that one leg fatigue. if you are moving the board under your body as you go through the turn, your legs will be exerting about the same effort and you'll notice this one leg tired feeling go away.

Just excercise. I do wallsits and squads till 110 kgs two times a week. I never burnt my legs since.

+1

+1

The fact that it is happening on your front leg actually seems like a good sign - you aren't sitting in the back seat like so many people do. I like to put a bit more weight forward on the front during heelsides.

+1

The fact that it is happening on your front leg actually seems like a good sign - you aren't sitting in the back seat like so many people do. I like to put a bit more weight forward on the front during heelsides.

It's not a good sign.

You should be tired equally, in both legs. getting on the back leg is a natural progression of the turn. Front heel... Middle... Back heel, with the board advancing under you throughout.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I was getting a lot of chatter on my heel side so I tried fixing that by really pushing weight into my lead foot at the start of a turn. That stopped the chatter but it sure does burn haha. I know about "feeding the dollar" but is it too late if I shift only right before a transition to toeside? At what point in the turn should I begin shifting my weight back?

feed the dollar through the turn +1

Play with the toe lift and front angle +1 1-2 degrees could make all the difference.

Sportlegs rock for killing the burn just take the recomended dosage. Its just calcium lactate so its good for you as well. +1