Note to New Members ×

Top Selling Snowboard Brands ...

Snowriter

While researching Dead Snowboard Companies thread, saw this data that some might find interesting:

Top Selling Brands In Order

Units Sold

Specialty

Aug 07 - Feb 08

BURTON (>40% market share. Almost 4x the share of the #2 brand)

K2

RIDE

ROME SDS (Everything below Rome <5% market share)

ROSSIGNOL

SALOMON

NITRO

GNU (Everything below GNU < 2% market share)

ROXY SNOWBOARDS

NEVER SUMMER

LIB TECH

FORUM

LTD SNOWBOARDS

ARBOR

PALMER

ATOMIC

MORROW (Everything below Morrow < 1% market share)

FLOW

CAPITA

OPTION

LAMAR

NIDECKER

HEAD SPORTS

VOLKL

STEPCHILD SNOWBOARDS

SNOW JAM

TYPE A

AVALANCHE (everything below Avalanche < 0.1% market share)

TECHNINE

DYNASTAR

WORLD INDUSTRIES

UNITY

SPICE

SAPIENT

BLINDSIDE

ACADEMY SNOWBOARDS

BATALEON

ELAN USA

SIMS

ENDEAVOR

SANTA CRUZ

MAXX

ATLANTIS

VENUE

KEMPER

LIQUID SNOWBOARDS

APO SNOWBOARDS

VOILE

VENTURE SNOWBOARDS

SIGNAL SNOWBOARDS

O-MATIC SNOWBOARDS

OXYGEN

ZUMA

EMSCO GROUP

Vast majority have active web sites. Do you mean produce their own boards vs. farm production out?

well we know Burton does both and I think K2 & GNU is in house, not sure about Ride but last I heard they were pressed in the Seattle area no clue about Rome

more subtle add on to pokkis question:

How many of them do actually conceive, proto, test the boards and have "shaping" knowledge that makes them real brands vs marketing names that just call the OEM factory asking for 1 FS 160cm + i'll find a fancy sublimated topsheet and market it.

When i receive Pale price list here and then for the lower range of products they have, believe me i'm scared of the prices ( how low they are compare to how high most of the OEM things they make for other brands retails with just the topsheet beeing the difference...).

Basically there is maybe 20-30 guys worldwide that could justify the shaper/conceptor competence and name...rest is marketing.

Nils

How many of them do actually conceive, proto, test the boards and have "shaping" knowledge that makes them real brands vs marketing names that just call the OEM factory asking for 1 FS 160cm + i'll find a fancy sublimated topsheet and market it.

When i receive Pale price list here and then for the lower range of products they have, believe me i'm scared of the prices ( how low they are compare to how high most of the OEM things they make for other brands retails with just the topsheet beeing the difference...).

Basically there is maybe 20-30 guys worldwide that could justify the shaper/conceptor competence and name...rest is marketing.

Nils

I'm not sure if it's fair game to ask this, ignore it if not..Is Swoard successful enough that it will be viable to move to in-house production? I recall a poo-fling fest with Virus, it would be a shame for that to happen with Nidecker.

well we know Burton does both and I think K2 & GNU is in house, not sure about Ride but last I heard they were pressed in the Seattle area no clue about Rome

Ride is owned by K2, of course, but I'm not sure where they are manufactured.

Rome is based in Waterbury VT. Not sure offhand if the boards are now produced in VT or not. In the beginning, their boards were pressed in Quebec.

Nils

Obviously, the top ten are all legit as are many others on this list

But, certainly some others are just "house" names, etc.

It would be interesting to go through all the web sites and make some calls and figure it out. But I'll pass on that for the moment ... ;)

Nils

Taking this a step further, take a look at the top ten ...

BURTON - Started making prototypes during the 77/78 season. Started really selling boards in 78/79.

K2 - Ski company, the first I believe, to get into snowboarding. Also owns Morrow, Liquid, Ride, and 5150.

RIDE - Interesting "ride" so to speak on the stock market in the '90s, now owned by K2.

ROME SDS - Started by two former Burton guys, Paul Maravetz and Josh Reid. Maravetz has been in the biz since '91, Reid since mid-'90s. Launched in 2002.

ROSSIGNOL - Ski Company owned formerly by Quicksilver.

SALOMON - Ski company.

5150 - Owned by K2 under the Ride umbrella).

NITRO - Been around since 1990.

GNU - Owned by Quicksilver. Mike Olson has been in the business since 84 and started making boards in 77 as a middle school student (at least that's the legend).

ROXY SNOWBOARDS - Female brand owned by Quicksilver

So, in the top ten:

The Burton tree also gives us Rome, though Burton does not own, nor have any affiliation with Rome.

The K2 tree also gives us Ride & 5150.

Quicksilver tree gives us GNU and Roxy, and at one time Rossi.

I don't think the three od them together would hit 1% of all sales. I would bet that Burton sells more boards in a day than Bruce makes in a year...same with the other two, although they probably have higher numbers than Coiler, they are nowhere close to mass market boards.

Not one of those brands even has 0.1% market share.

Based on my understanding of the numbers I would be about 0.1%.

As for companies on that list and who makes them, I can fill in some blanks.

Burton - Burton, Karhu, and others I'm sure

Ride and K2 now made in China

Gnu, Roxy, Lib Tech are all mervin. Made in the US, but I did hear last year that some of the low end stuff was farmed to China

Unity - made in Colorado

Venture - Made in Colorado

Never Summer - made in Colorado

Palmer - I believe owns a factory in Europe somewhere

I think Endeavor is another incarnation of a manufacturer in California

Voile is made in UTah I believe

I believe the vast majority of the rest are OEMed. I'm not as familiar with the European manufacturers, but I believe that Vokl, Nidecker, Salomon, and Elan make their own stuff.

The list is missing some other smaller US manufacturers like Sentinel, Solid (restarted last year), Hayes Brothers, Revolution, Smokin. I'm sure I've missed some.

basically you have two or three huge OEM makers in europe/near europe

- Pale: cheapest prices available in europe mainland for OEM

- Elan

- Nidecker ( one factory in Switzerland, one in Tunisia that produces for many many brands ( including salomon that also has its own plant in Romania...)

Those three company produce more than 300 000 boards / skis per season !

So yes, Donek, Coiler and Prior are small fish in this world :)...

Nils

Salomon boards are all made in Tunisia and China

their bindings were once made in Romania and the Czech republic, even Italy, so were most of the Burton bindings. now all made in china

early Burton European board production was by atomic in austria (still is?)

Tunisia is one of the most highly educated and well trained work force countries around, with favorable import export taxes and very little environmental law

I believe that almost all of the K2 umbrella in made in china

Rome's boards are produced in Austria. Bindings in China.

Dan Sullivan from O'Sin jumped to Rome, when Rome was formed, and that was a major acquisition for them (and retailers will tell you Sullivan's presence gave them some faith in Rome when the brand started up). That had to hurt O'Sin.

Rome is the case study of how to start a snowboard company. Launched in 2002 ... number 4 by 2007. 'Course, you don't always have guys with Reid and Maravetz's smarts, connections, and experience running the show either.

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I will always have a place in my heart for Burton, even though I bash them for their disowning of alpine. It would just suck to have a ski company be the #1 snowboard company in the world. No reason. It just would. I despised K2 for jumping on the bandwagon with the Gyrator in the late 80's. Still do. Posers.

My Tanker 187 (06/07) is CHINESE. OMG!!!!!!!!! This has been well covered in the past but seems to have a place in this discussion. Board now has probably 20 days on it and I love it. Still holding up. All the political and economic issues put aside, the thing that bothers me about it is the relative certainty that the guy or lady that pressed it will probably never get a chance to ride one (assuming they want too). That bothers me a little.

Kinda OT I know, but Arc'teryx clothing is also made in China now...but retailing for the same price as when it was built in BC. Hard for me to swallow that, when I know that their production costs must have dropped significantly. Kind of the same thing for a made-in-China Tanker too, no?