Note to New Members ×

Prior WCR Metal or the Schtubby???

dave29

I am trying to narrow it down between the Prior WCR and the Coiler Schtubby. Approx. specs would be 173/19.5-21waist/11-13scr. I ride Hunter Mtn NY and VT Mtns. It would be my everyday board, so it would need to: cut through crud, falline, and still have exceptional carving attributes(no race board attributes) on eastcoast hardpack(I have a powder board so i am covered there). Thanks for any input.

If this will be your only carveboard, I should go a little longer and would ask Bruce to make a 175 with a 13m sidecut for you but that's just me. You can crank these beauties very tight. But just talk to Bruce, he knows what he's talking about, but I don't think you will have this Coiler this season. He has a waitinglist. I love my Coiler Schtubby X2 but I am happy I also have some longer boards in my quiver which are faster than my X2. Especially on the more moderate grooms. But my X2 is the more allround board than the others in my quiver. Good luck with your choice.

If this will be your only carveboard, I should go a little longer and would ask Bruce to make a 175 with a 13m sidecut for you but that's just me. You can crank these beauties very tight. But just talk to Bruce, he knows what he's talking about, but I don't think you will have this Coiler this season. He has a waitinglist. I love my Coiler Schtubby X2 but I am happy I also have some longer boards in my quiver which are faster than my X2. Especially on the more moderate grooms. But my X2 is the more allround board than the others in my quiver. Good luck with your choice.

I think I have enough to easily keep me busy till SES so deliveries for new orders would probably be mid Feb. Will soon be building a couple Stubs to 177! Not sure if the name still qualifies as they will have 162 effective:freak3: These are for guys who like the idea of the shorter nose but want more effective edge. The boards similar but with more effective are the "classic" designs which are similar first generation Titanal race models. Tested a few classics last night , some with the lamination I use on the Stubs and another with a more race oriented lamination. When you start getting longer effective, the race lam seemed to be more to my liking. Very small difference as I had to switch boards a few times to really feel the difference. Snow had a few soft areas so the higher rebound race lamination helped there. Less experienced riders would probably like the easier lamination as it scrubs speed more due to the higher ability to bend when pushed.

I better get back to work as I want to test those new 77s! One rider already named his the " chubby" Please, enough names already:)

BV

I can't speak to the Prior, but the schtubby (171/21/13.2) that I bought is by far the easiest most bad a$$ board I've ever ridden. It does everything sooooo well. I have yet to try it in powder but the ice we have in the midwest left me inspired that I could have so much confidence on ice. We had a big dump (12") on Friday and went out that night. It was the defiinition of crud and the board just plowed through it (forward and fakie). I couldn't be happier with a board. First time out I had some issues with heel side turns, but since getting my TD3's and setting them up with toe lift, heel lift, and a bit of outward cant for each that problem is gone. I'm not sure yet on if I like the big hole in the binding for quick changes. I can't see doing any on hill changes any quicker since the snow get's packed down in there. It'd be nice if there was some sort of removable plastic plugs for the other bolts as snow builds up on those too...Although most would probably lose them or being plastic they'd break.

I'm not sure yet on if I like the big hole in the binding for quick changes. I can't see doing any on hill changes any quicker since the snow get's packed down in there. It'd be nice if there was some sort of removable plastic plugs for the other bolts as snow builds up on those too...Although most would probably lose them or being plastic they'd break.

I was thinking about this too. I am getting my Td3's with yellows next year. As soon as I get them, I will look into a solution to fillup that gap. I am thinking about a sort of light rubber in it what I can bent easily and take out so that the ice can't get in. Mustn't be that hard to realize.

Sorry if I'm digressing here, but I have a question for Bruce (or probably almost anyone else here.)

I've heard much about the Schtubby. I've read over the boards on Coiler's website. But I haven't been able to put all the pieces together. Which model is the schtubby? Does it have a specific set of mods based on a listed stock board? What makes it different from the other similar boards out there, and the other stock Coiler boards?

I suspect that at least some of this is individual preference, and finding the board that fits one's body and carving style best. But as a relative newcomer to carving, could you clue me into what's going on?

Finally, I want to support Bruce's request, "Please, enough names already." It's hard enough already to sort out the mysteries of running length, effective edge, sidecut radius, the seemingly endless variations on stance, and all the other stuff that goes into carving without having people call one board 5 different names. You want to nickname your board something, that's great, and clearly within your rights. But when you talk about it, please use the proper name of the board once in the post (preferably the first time you mention it.) Makes reading easier for those of us who aren't already near the top of the carving skill mountain, ....

Regards,

Martin

Schtubby X2 is the common popular Schtubby. The rest of the boards are all clones from this one with some variable settings in length, width and or effective edge. Use the search function and you are going crazy how many posts you will find. You will find a dutch orange Schtubby in my profile. One of the early ones (Shred was sooner!).

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18687&highlight=schtubby

I've heard much about the Schtubby. I've read over the boards on Coiler's website. But I haven't been able to put all the pieces together. Which model is the schtubby?

Coiler's website is out of date. The menu has changed, and so have the prices... searching Bruce's post on this forum is one good way to find out what he's offering now. For instance:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=220899&postcount=208

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=164863&postcount=24

None of the boards on his website are Schtubbies, NSRs, or Monsters. The Classics and AMs of today are descended from the PR/GS and AMs on the website, but he's evolved the shapes as he's evolved the choice of materials and construction.

Sorry if I'm digressing here, but I have a question for Bruce (or probably almost anyone else here.)

I've heard much about the Schtubby. I've read over the boards on Coiler's website. But I haven't been able to put all the pieces together. Which model is the schtubby? Does it have a specific set of mods based on a listed stock board? What makes it different from the other similar boards out there, and the other stock Coiler boards?

schtubby X2 = 171 x 13.2 scr x 20w

most are variations on that theme

I suspect that at least some of this is individual preference, and finding the board that fits one's body and carving style best. But as a relative newcomer to carving, could you clue me into what's going on?

This is the best board made for the intermediate to advanced east coast freecarver (Not limited to that arena, but it seems that a majority of schtubby riders match that description). It is what the Madd 170 used to be IMHO. Give us some idea of where and how you ride and we'll happily point you in the direction of a range of appropriate boards

Finally, I want to support Bruce's request, "Please, enough names already." It's hard enough already to sort out the mysteries of running length, effective edge, sidecut radius, the seemingly endless variations on stance, and all the other stuff that goes into carving without having people call one board 5 different names. You want to nickname your board something, that's great, and clearly within your rights. But when you talk about it, please use the proper name of the board once in the post (preferably the first time you mention it.) Makes reading easier for those of us who aren't already near the top of the carving skill mountain, ....

Regards,

Martin

Unfortunately the site is on the to do list but I never get around to it. Its just a matter of being booked up solid for as long as I can remember so its not like I need the exposure at this time. Understandably it would be a great help though. Since the Titanal boards are so new, everyone kinda wants their own design and so far this season I have yet to charge for any of the customization. There really is no " stock" sizes as of yet as a few for sure are popular but by allowing many to design their own, I am amassing build data much faster than otherwise possible so it gives me a great advantage in the design side of things.

I don't pay much attention to names as I can make a board look like one thing and ride like another if I wanted to. The names are generalizations but talking to me is the way to get things sorted out best. Must say that from my perspective, the names are kinda funny sometimes so if it puts a laugh in the day, I'm OK with it.

BV

Great feedback from Bruce...........now get back to the factory!!!!!!!!;)

Cool to know about the data building. Just wondering if and when Bruce is going to take in a "grasshopper" to learn the ways of the Bruce and continue his legacy 100's of years from now. If I were young again, I'd volunteer for a summer internship

PA variable conditions have been warranting a Chubz 77T wink wink nudge nudge

the waiting is killing me.

Thanks everyone for the input. All feedback from my posting and other postings have been similar and positive about the Schtubby. I have not seen much on the Prior Metal WCR. Thanks again and if anyone has more input about the WCR and the Schtubby please feel free.

Unfortunately the site is on the to do list but I never get around to it. Its just a matter of being booked up solid for as long as I can remember ....

BV

Bruce,

Congrats on that kind of success. I've just purchased a used Oxygen Proton 172, and hope to learn on that. When I get good (or at least better enough,) I'll talk to you and put in an order for either a All-Mountain or PureCarve with metal, and use your wisdom to get the right specs for body type and my riding style and preferences. Probably a few years off. So please please please stay in business until then.

Alternatively, find a hardboot rider who needs one of your boards and can do HTML work, and offer to trade a discount on the board for them updating your website for you. (I'd volunteer, except I'm more of a C coder, and probably couldn't fix a webpage if my life depended on it.) It would also be really cool to have a section about all the special boards you've made, how they ride, and how people have raved about them. But of course finding that person would take more of your scarce time, ....

Regards,

Martin

schtubby X2 = 171 x 13.2 scr x 20w

I see. So in terms of dimensions, it sounds pretty close to the 172 Oxygen Proton that I just bought used. My plan is to get good on that, and then start building a quiver.

I live in the flat midwest, and travel to the rockies for my serious riding. I'm just starting in carving, but I'm pretty solid on softies (Prior Spearhead, proto with a wider taper, partway to a Khyber, Flow NXT FR, DC Allegiance.) For hardbooting, I have UPZ Mach Superlight (Red ones, about 2 years old,) and Snowpro force step-ins. I also have Snowpro race bindings, but like the step-in's better (the 1mm less bail width is negligable and doesn't worry me.)

My favorite riding is deep powder, but one doesn't get that too often, and I wanted another type/style to use at resorts that wasn't boring, so I was attracted to carving. Have just acquired all the equipment, and plan on trying it out soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

Regards,

Martin

Alternatively, find a hardboot rider who needs one of your boards and can do HTML work, and offer to trade a discount on the board for them updating your website for you. (I'd volunteer, except I'm more of a C coder, and probably couldn't fix a webpage if my life depended on it.) It would also be really cool to have a section about all the special boards you've made, how they ride, and how people have raved about them. But of course finding that person would take more of your scarce time, ....

Regards,

Martin

Bruce has someone working on it, he just needs to get him specs of the all the new models.

When I get good (or at least better enough,) I'll talk to you and put in an order for either a All-Mountain or PureCarve with metal, and use your wisdom to get the right specs for body type and my riding style and preferences. Probably a few years off. So please please please stay in business until then.

If you have the $$ dive in now! Some boards require prodigious skill to ride... Coilers in general are easy to ride well.

If you have the $$ dive in now! Some boards require prodigious skill to ride... Coilers in general are easy to ride well.

Money is an issue, but not the major one. I don't know how often I'll be able to ride in the next few years. Finishing a PhD, and launching a job search. I could end up somewhere tropical, where I'll do a lot more scuba diving and a lot less riding. Or somewhere in the middle of nowhere, where neither is convenient.

Appreciate the sentiment, but now isn't the right time for a new wonderboard.

Regards,

Martin