Note to New Members ×

Powder with Plates??

wjholm

Opinions on powder setups?

I prefer hardboots.....put soft boots on a couple years ago and hated 'em. I started boarding to CARVE and never really developed any desire for soft setups. I have an old Burton Amp 6.0.....end up folding it in half in all but the deepest snow.

I live in midwest and rarely ride in real powder. But, I'll be spending extended time in CO this winter. :biggthump So I may actually ride some real powder.

Also planning a Heli Trip to BC next year with a group of local skiers and I'd prefer the board.

Will attend the SES for a day or two so may be able to test there.

Anyone out there riding powder in Hardboots???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding hard boots in walk mode is asking for broken boots and or broken ankles. After 20 years here in CO riding hardboots in all conditions I would reccomend using soft boots for powder. Did you have a good pair of soft boots or some cheap ones that didn't fit well? I am riding the Burton DriverX and they work great and have good support. Soft boots work really well in CO since we have softer snow conditions most of the time. Also when riding soft boots you have to not push as hard during toeside turns or your feet will start to hurt. On a powder and or softer snow day it is not neccesary to work as hard any way. Try them again when you get out here and give them a fair chance just like you have with hardboots. This subject seems to sart a lot of wars on here which is silly as soft boots are simply another interface to use for certain days. Hard boots are still good when the snow is firm and groomed.

I did most of my pow riding in plates for a few years but really fell back in love with softies (for pow) last year. Getting some modern bindings had a lot to do with it. This year I bough a new pair of soft boots as well (well, Burton Driver X's... they are pretty stiff softies) on which I will be doing my first non-hiking turns on Sunday with any luck.

Why softies for powder? I like to make nice flowy turns in pow and softies make it easier than hard boots IMHO.

OK OK....I get it with the boots. I should have been more specific.........I'm looking for board suggestions.

Any big old fat floppy board from Joes' Sportin Goods and Bait Shop or.........are the so called "All Mountain" carve boards - Donek Axxess, Prior ATV/4WD...... Any of these better????

I love my tanker, I also have an axxes, I cannot be as aggresive on the axxes on softer groom as I can on the tanker, it wants to dive and pitch you if you are not careful. Love the fact that I can ride without slop and crushing my feet in HB's.

mario

Just to remind yourself.

put soft boots on a couple years ago and hated 'em.

The 181 Burton Supermodel was a good pow ride

Just don't try to carve on it... you'll fold the nose and blow out a knee

Does anyone know... did Burton replace the Supermodel line with something else or just do away with it?

It just folded away. I have to admit mine was pretty good for the first 30 or 40 days and then......it wasn't so much. Still liked the shape but it needed some Tinkler conrodshockthingies.

Try them again when you get out here and give them a fair chance just like you have with hardboots. This subject seems to sart a lot of wars on here which is silly as soft boots are simply another interface to use for certain days. Hard boots are still good when the snow is firm and groomed.

Hard boots are great in powder. Since I gave up my Koflach superpipes 10 years ago I haven't found a soft boot that I like and being a big guy does make a diff. Don't know if the OP is small or large, but I am not small and soft boots don't give me what I need in support and transfer of energy.

And to repeat your original statement.

If your HBs are comfy, why mess with soft. Just creates more crap that you have to carry around and deal with. Save your money, invest in custom liners if the boots are worth it.

Happy feet=happy rider.

I have a powder specific board- a Winterstick 182 Swallowtail - but I need over 9 inches of fresh powder to make it worthwhile. I get to use is between 6-10 times a season, but those days are so powerfully awesome that they stay burned in my mind for years afterwards.

I run Burton race plates on my swallowtail.

For packed powder days (1"-6" of new snow on top of existing snowpack), I fins that my new Coiler 172 AM fills the bill - it's lifted nose and tail shape allows me to poach the trees and powder, while it's maneuverable and stiff enough to handle steeps, moguls, and chop.

Cateks OS2's are run on my Coiler as well as all of my alpine boards- spare base plates and power plates make transferring bindings quick and easy with just one allen key tool that I poached from my bicycle repair kit.

"Don't know if the OP is small or large, but I am not small and soft boots don't give me what I need in support and transfer of energy.

And to repeat your original statement.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">put soft boots on a couple years ago and hated 'em. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If your HBs are comfy, why mess with soft. Just creates more crap that you have to carry around and deal with. Save your money, invest in custom liners if the boots are worth it.

Happy feet=happy rider."

+++1+++

124 Raichles w/thermoflex, stiff all metal stepin Nitros, twintip all mt. boards, can't wait to try the new atomic radon spilt tail.

Softest hardboot boot, stiff binding, soft ish board, gives me all the flex I need to surf the air crystals, & still gives me the response to powerfully alter my carve mid turn.

I don't want to move the flexablity of my setup from wrapped around my lower leg to inbetween the boot & board.

It may sound like picking fly schite out of pepper but I'll never get the response of a soft plastic shell out of laces & staps.

I often carry 2-3 boots, 2 boards and skis to the mountain and having a additional system to cart around aint gonna help my gearwhoreiness.

as for boards I love the older K2 eldos, they came in adult sizes up to 180, sweet in the powder, edge hold on steep sketch, and still carve a nice line, and cheap.

Arbor A-frames rock all conditions too, but only go up to 170.

I got caught once riding powder on my F2 Speedster 173. Went out to the hill (Nakiska) thinking it was going to be nice, sunny with cloudy periods and ended up riding in a blizzard. Snowed like crazy, and ended up riding in powder. I had to be in the back seat all day or else i would go out the front door. Bought a Burton Alp 171 for specific powder days because of the wide shovel! Wish i had a brought it that day...let me tell you. Race boards are better left in the basement on powder days...LOL

Guest shrederjen

I ride a Dynastar 3800 with TD-2s.

Works like a charm.

Ride it like a pow board in pow and carves quite nicely on the hardpack or after a day of plowed out pow. yes, today, I even did okay in a race, in this setup!

Jen

:DI know similar threads have appeared....still I have gleaned more good insight.

Still love the HB's....now with BTS and soft springs they should be great.

Trying to decide between a Tanker, 4807, or other Swallowtail.

Afraid the swallow tails may be too specific for lift served areas though great for the Heli trip I'm planning next year.

Can I have too many boards.......dumb question here!

I have been boarding since 1989. Spent a season in Vail and one in Sun Valley and now winter at Schweitzer in northern Idaho. Last year I went to SnowWater in BC with my son for his 16th Birthday. I purchased an Osin 4807 for the trip and they actually had 2 there when I arrived that they rent. I used soft boots (Boa Style) and Burton Bindings and had 4 of the most incredible days ever. The snow was 20 degrees and 2-3 feet of fresh the whole time. I never went over the nose of the 4807 and I am sure it would be the same with the swallowtail that others discussed. Any board that is long where you can sit on the tail should be great for the steep and deep. Have fun!

There are a lot of Dupraz fans here in Colorado as well. They seem like a nice ride in pow and pack, but I can't get past the ironing board shape.

Boardski - I'd be interested to know what you think of the Radon. I have one sitting in the shop ready to go. Tomorrow might be the day as we have quite a bit of new snow. Snowman is betting I'll break the tail off of the Radon on the first run... we'll see, but likely not enough board for my phat ass.

I wish real BX boards were longer... like a Volkel BX in a 180.. that would be cool.

Guest shrederjen

I would LOVE to try the 4807 on plates, in the right conditions.

I have found that the 3800 usually serves my needs, even after the pow has been turned into Volgswagon Mogels...... :D