Note to New Members ×

If you could go anywhere to carve, where?

SWriverstone

Highest skiable peak that is lift accessed in the state of Colorado. If you do it right 2, maybe 3 runs will consume your whole day.

Hmm. Apart from being pretty damned high, and having a shedload of backcountry stuff, I don't see what's so special. Unless I'm missing something, it runs from 10,780ft to 12,472, which gives a total vertical of only 1,692 feet, or 515m. Even the small stuff round here has getting on for 1000m vertical, and bigger resorts, eg Tignes/Val d'Isere/3 Vallées etc, have getting on for 2,000m (Tignes has 1,906m / 6,250ft from top to bottom). Damned good carving territory, too, if a little crowded in the holidays.

So, what am I missing?

Me, I like Le Grand Bornand in January.

Simon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dream resort (maybe Buttermilk?)...

Lots of incredibly wide groomers that are empty...and just steep enough to get some speed and lay down nice trenches...but NOT so steep that you've got to work hard to keep your speed in check (or go 80mph).

We're not into adrenaline. If you're a motorcyclist, think sweepers instead of tight twisties! :)

But if it's so flat that you have to straightline it just to get enough speed to carve, that's not good!

Sound like Snowmass and/or Buttermilk?

Scott

Forbes' take on the "best" resorts looks like it came straight out of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"....

All of the resorts in their list are too crowded, although the terrain and lodgings are top notch - I'm been to 75% of them and I still think the ones recommeded here are better.

YMMV.

Lots of incredibly wide groomers that are empty...and just steep enough to get some speed and lay down nice trenches...but NOT so steep that you've got to work hard to keep your speed in check (or go 80mph).

Sounds like Buttermilk for sure. The Tiehack chair there has everything you want. The Buckskin and Ptarmigan runs are perfect easy blue, ultrawide, zero-crowd groomers (there is no worry about trying to keep your speed up), while parts of Javelin and Racer's Edge are respectably steep to challenge yourself on, and also have zero crowds. It's still my relaxy happy place.

Ray you keep talking about coming to an ECES, I know what is holding you back...you can't carve on ice right:eplus2:

I don’t even know what ice is and feels like these days :confused: Last time I was on ice was when I learned snowboarding in Europe :rolleyes: … so you might be right. But, I am not afraid of making a foul of myself :freak3: so some day I will hopefully make it to the ECES… but as long as I can (especially afford it) I will go and spend most of my days in Aspen and enjoy the “perfect” conditions :ices_ange

Buttermilk is my favorite due to the easy parking, short walk from the car to the lifts, and not a lot of people. It seemed like everywhere else I went in Aspen, a lot of time was spent parking, walking, or riding gondolas trying to get somewhere (especially Snowmass). Everything about Buttermilk was easy and quick (except the Tiehack lift).

Again I vote for buttermilk--Although there are many places I have never been--Tahoe is on the list -I like the steeps sometimes but The milk gives me all I need/ after all I'm still working on my technique/ most likely will be for a long time LOL

If I feel the need for blinding SPEED I can just switch to a very long board--Problem solved.

If I try hard I can get over my head at buttermilk-- at the end of the day- I'm exhausted.

A little something I posted before

"Buttermilk!"

As I Look back to 2002 & my first exposure to Aspen/ I remember saying to myself Buttermilk what a goofy name for a ski resort! Little did I know how addictive & fond of that little place I would become. Another trip to Aspen SES in 2006 & again in 2007 closed the deal!

"Its now a permanent fixture etched into my mind! Its July/ I find myself fantasying carving up the sweet awesome groom of Buttermilk’s gentle slopes.

The groomers of the Aspen valley need to give less-ions to many other resorts

The commodity of fellow carvers is outstanding! A special group for sure.

Although I ride a all-mountain board also/My heart belongs to Carving!

If only the masses knew what they were missing?

But then again/ if the masses carved/ would it take away from our felling unique?

I'm so confused now/ I had it all figured out/ when I died I wanted to be cremated & my ashes sprinkled in a women’s mud wrestling pit! Now I wonder about that location ?????

If I could go anywhere it would be Whistler. Huge mountain with endless variety. That was the best riding I have ever had. If you want to go to Colorado I will put in my vote for Crested Butte. It is out of the way and as long as you go off peak season, no crowds. This is where I learned to ride, the long wide open bowls make carving a dream. There are steeps or mellow rolling runs, the whole mountain is perfect for carving except for the North Face which is perfect for your other board! Carving is very popular there and you wouldn't be the only one either...

Hmm. Apart from being pretty damned high, and having a shedload of backcountry stuff, I don't see what's so special. Unless I'm missing something, it runs from 10,780ft to 12,472, which gives a total vertical of only 1,692 feet, or 515m. Even the small stuff round here has getting on for 1000m vertical, and bigger resorts, eg Tignes/Val d'Isere/3 Vallées etc, have getting on for 2,000m (Tignes has 1,906m / 6,250ft from top to bottom). Damned good carving territory, too, if a little crowded in the holidays.

So, what am I missing?

Me, I like Le Grand Bornand in January.

Simon

All the terrain above the tree line was what impressed me, but I'm from Ohio so it doesn't take much! I also liked the fact the resort wasn't trying to be tourist resort. Much different than where we were staying. (Keystone) We could look down at Keystone from the summit.

is schweitzer a decent mountain? i've been to the bikepark (we hang out at the inlaws place on the lake every summer), but never ventured out in the cold season.

It's one of those "should have been here yesterday I mean last year" kinda things

Parked 20ft away from the white ribbon of deth this afternoon,

http://www.schweitzer.com/mountain/

BIG MOUNTAIN/WHITE FISH MOUNTAIN RESORT. No crowds I mean nobody the week I go. There is A small group going most on hard boots.We meet some cool locals on mixed sticks. The groom is the best. The worst part is getting there[$]. January 23-31 2009. I also go to South Lake Tahoe in February lots of people at Heavenly. Any big name resort has big numbers. I know my way around and have fun at Heavenly but I cant give up the Big Mountain trip great place not many people good lift ticket price and A beer price that wont kill your budget. You will be able to ride 80% of the mountain. Come join us.

I can only speak for Colorado in terms of "been there done that"

... only ridden three days in Utah so my vote can't count there

Aspen is the best carving in the state. If there was only one of the four mountains available (any one of the four), then things might be different. But because they have four very different mountains pretty much packed tight together, good conditions, and excellent grooming... you can always find great carving there for any ability level. High quality carving... but they beat everyone by sheer volume.

My second choice is Beaver Creek. I'm surprised no one has mentioned BC on this thread. Excellent terrain for all levels of carving ability, no crowds, good snow, perfect grooming.

I love Abasin... not a huge variety but great terrain, great snow, they know how to groom, and you get to skip the riffraff of the other Summit County big top circus resorts. If you haven't been there since they opened the back bowl, check out Northern Spy... arguably one of the best carving runs in the state.

Guest shrederjen

Chile in August!!!! :eplus2:

Our only real criteria are:

a) no crowds (I'll go postal if there are lift lines)

b) lots of W-I-D-E, not-too-steep slopes for carving!

This works within your criteria.......

Jen....

Ask me about Chile...

Chile in August!!!! :eplus2:

Jen....

Ask me about Chile...

Love Chile! www.vallenevado.com

And on the $$ side, not expensive. Lodging included meals and tickets.

Airfare....well that was a little more than going to Montana but I had to pay for tickets and food there. It was well worth the trip to south america...

Now for winter around here...go west. Big mtn(Whitefish resort), Aspen, Vail- Beaver Creek, all good mid week.

If you do find yourself staying on the east coast, Stratton has some great grooming, and fancy digs.

Sun Valley

Clean unimpeded lines of sight. ramp it up- go as fast as you can until you can't see from the world blurring.

No Crowds

Automated snow making- perhaps the most advanced.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...seamless grooming done with multiple overlapping groomers at the same time on the same pass.

I'd ride a 220cm there.

But the terrain is steep.

Aspen almost never gets really cold (no wind either) - so if you want to go somewhere end of January to Early Feb.. Aspen is your only choice unless you want to freeze and get blown off the mountain like on the front range.

We also have 300 days of sunshine so visibility is better than many resorts.

Of course if you want some help carving..I'm here all the time. and I Have a room available for rent in March- which I rent out as part of a carving package.

________

MFLB REVIEW