Note to New Members ×

05 Summit Expression Session - Use this thread for talk

Michelle

...how's it going? Hey John, I don't know if you'll remember me, but I had gone to the Redbones night a few weeks ago! Anyway, I've been tossing around the idea of going out this year. Shoot me an e-mail and we'll see what we can hash out for some pre-liminary ideas, budgets, etc.

Talk to you later!

Happy trails!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching the Web Cams in the US from here in the southern Highlands and since my Tickets and vouchers for accomidation arrived today, I'm starting to dream of what the 2005 SES is going to be like . I guess I'll find out in 3 months 14 Days 15 Minutes if the Plane isn't late :) See you all soon .

MozzMann aka Maurie

PS The Oz Carve Web site is down due to my domain name agent's balls up .

I am thinking about going this year. Never been to the SES. Jeff I just dropped my boards off at Mikes and saw your new 167, looks great:D. I can get great rates on car rentals through work close to 50% off. Jeff you going with Bob J or is he doing his own thing.

Mozz,

Got my air ticket booked on Friday. $1649AUD MEL - LAX so I am all systems go. I will be staying at the St Moritz when I get around to finalising that booking (spent all my spare cash on the plane tix).

Where are you flying into and when?

If I get up to Sydney before Feb I will drop you a line and try to catch up for a beer.

CAN'T WAIT PEOPLE!!!

Dan

how many people are going to Summit county after SES for week two? The extended session Feb20-25. I'm set already with my 4pack of tix for Breck, Keystone and A-Basin.

Haven't arranged accomodation yet. Any suggestions Fin? Bob?

Fireside hostel?

Beaver Creek is also on my list for a day visit.

Hey Geoff,

Thanks for the kind words on my 167! The color of it sure draws the comments! I've been talking with John M. from Lynn, MA...so we have a group of 3 that are potentionally interested in working out some details about going out to The SES!! If we can find one more(or more!), we could look into finding a nice condo close to one of the ski areas!

Geoff & John, I'm not looking to spend alot of money on a condo, but seeing that this is a vacation, I like the idea of a ski in/ ski out condo! We would just have to agree on which mountain to stay at.

Geoff, it sounds like John & I are on the same page as far as wanting to go out on Saturday the 12th and returning on Sunday the 20th. how long are you thinking about going out for? Oh and discounts on car/suv...Excellent!!

That is it for now! Happy trails!

Would anyone be interested in going in on a 4-5 bedroom house for 7 nights during the event? If 5 of us go in on a house, it would be about $600 each MAX, less if there are couples staying in a room. I would be willing to do this with the right peeps.....I'm a 35 yo pharmacist from arizona, going solo. I party it up at night, put away the brew, but don't care to stay in a 'party house' for 5 days. In other words, I wouldn't be into inviting the whole hill over for a hoe-down. Here is an example of a house I am looking at for the week:

http://www.rentalsexpress.com/vacat...use6_rates.html

Also, if anyone else is going from AZ (very unlikely, I know), let me know maybe we can carpool. Thanks! If interested, email me at Robert.Weston@azwebmail.midwestern.edu

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Well some airlines can be pretty anal about their weight and dimension restrictions, as well as the fact its a snowboard and not skis. Depending on the trip I've found it easier to just ship my equipment ahead to where I'm going if there is a willing recepient :)

I'd like to hear from folks that have taking boards with them on the plane vs shipping. What if we just tell the airlines they are skis???:D They wouldn't know the difference, heck I'll call it a mono board. I'm going to research the airlines to figure out what the cut off is before the surcharges kick. My longest board is a 195.

Shipping Boards to Bomber :

Since this is an out of town event for us as well, please contact your lodging person and inquire about sending boards directly to them. We are going to have a lot of items to carry over, and the vehicles will be very full. If you get in a tight bind, and are desperate, then contact me and I will see what I can do for you.

Accomodations in Summit:

If you are coming early or staying late for an Extended SES, check out the accomodations list here . Prices are from last year, so you will have to contact the individual business for current rates. Fireside Inn in Brek is a B&B that is a bit out of the way (it's in Breck, about 1/2 hour drive from Copper, Keystone, and A-Basin. About 1 hour drive from Vail/Beaver Creek). Check out the SnowShoe Motel in Frisco (more centrally located) for cheaper accomodations with kitchenettes, or share a condo for even more savings with all ammenities. There are a few condos in Wildernest (in Silverthorne, also more centrally located) that are inexpensive, do a Google Search for Wildernest Condos Colorado and you will find plenty. Let me know if you still need help. Michelle

Accomodations in Aspen:

This is a copy of an email I got today. 3 Cheers for Roger, looks like he has come to the rescue!

"I've read some of the postings on your website re: cost of lodging. Well, good news: from now until December 1, the St. Moritz Lodge is offering our value season rates for SES attendees. Hostel beds are $41.00pp, and lodge rooms are $136.00pp. Reservations only for arriving February 12 (can do one or two on 02/13) with a six-night minimum-stay requirement. Must book directly with the lodge. Whining about high cost of Aspen is prohibited. Please post or forward this message where appropriate.

Roger Haneman

manager

St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums

Aspen, Colorado"

St Moritz

I believe that the maximum luggage allowance on United is about 20kg or 44lbs (all checked bags in total) before you pay excess. I was also told last year that they will not load a bag if it is over 60lbs because the baggage handlers supposedly won't touch it. However I managed to do a trip to CO and up to Canada two seasons ago with a snowboard bag of 185cm length that weighed in at 74lbs, and last year my bag was well and truly over the 60lb limit.

BUT....if you are nice to your check in agent, they will usually check it for you. And if all else fails, when they ask you to put your bag on the scales, stand it upright and hold it steady, with just a little subtle upward pressure to reduce the displayed weight. However I strongly recommend the "be nice and smile" approach (and an Aussie accent doesn't hurt either).

Ready for SeS 05. Thanks Scott, the 180 GS is schaweeeet lookin', new TD's enroute, I'll slam 'em on, pack the Hemi bed and head east to Ut for thanksgiving week.

Headed for the Summit resorts after SES. Frisco will be my base. Been there and know it now.

Can't wait to hookem up up with the local Tiehack crew. You guys dusted off your Mustangs yet :)

Trench dreaming....

Originally posted by gmarsden

Michelle

I am confused about the lift ticket on the

"Bomber day off". Are these not the

normal tickets that can be used for

6 days out of 10. So as long as my total

days are 6 or less, can't I use it on

the Wednesday.

You are correct Greg. The "day off" is named so because there are no official Bomber events on that day. However, your ticket is only good for 6 days, so if you use it on Wed you will be short a day.

Hi All:

I am planning to come to SES and currently look like I will be travelling solo from Toronto, Canada.

I am hoping to hook up with a group or create a group that has available space and hopefully some means of getting to and from the different resorts.

If there are groups looking for an additional lodger - please feel free to e-mail me with the details.

If there are others in the same postion as me, get in contact and maybe we can camp out together.

All the best,

Rob