Note to New Members ×

Feelings on Music Whilst Riding??

rdietz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are quite certain that no one is going to overtake you, it's your call on riding with tunes. Thor can pretty much claim this.

However, if you're not the fastest rider on the hill, it helps to be able to hear someone overtaking you.

The worst are clueless slope sliders that are completely unaware that anyone else is on the slope with them and have their tunes cranked.

If you are quite certain that no one is going to overtake you, it's your call on riding with tunes. Thor can pretty much claim this.

IMO it's quite hard not to be overtaken while carving: if you carve perfect semicircles, then your distance will be pi/2 times longer than straightliner's and consecuently you have to rider pi/2 times faster than straightliner :D

Here in one first-hand experience which shows that being aware of surrounding is good thing:

I was riding in late evening. I rode on left side of slope and on toeside turn (being regular this meant that sideline of slope was after turn initiation invisible for me) heard that something hit my board. I was quite surprised as couple of turns earlier I looked back and saw none coming so at first I thought that I hit rock or ice cubicle. However, I looked over my shoulder and saw how skier in his 60-ies makes yard sale of his equipment by rolling and tumbling. Apparently he came to slope from side and hit my board's base and lost control. I stopped and made sure that he is OK, then continued my ride. So nothing special about this event, but it could have been worse and if I had headphones then I would have been completely oblivious about this event and let him as he were: I just heard this hit, didn't feel anything on board.

However, if you're not the fastest rider on the hill, it helps to be able to hear someone overtaking you.

The worst are clueless slope sliders that are completely unaware that anyone else is on the slope with them and have their tunes cranked.

Yeah, but I'd rather be relaxed, and thrown clear of the wreck, like a drunk not wearing a seatbelt.;)

As much as listening to Miles Davis's Bitches Brew would be a surreal experience while hitting some great turns ... no way.

At one of our local hills a group of deaf/hearing impaired riders/skiers are on the hill every weekend ... the group has a special bib so people know that this riders/skiers can't hear.

IPOD crankers have no such bib to warn other riders of this limitation ... and thus put everyone at risk.

As for tinnitus, yeah, you don't want it. Keep the music low when you're on the lift ... and if they would turn it down at the base lodge too!!!

As much as listening to Miles Davis's Bitches Brew would be a surreal experience while hitting some great turns ... no way.

At one of our local hills a group of deaf/hearing impaired riders/skiers are on the hill every weekend ... the group has a special bib so people know that this riders/skiers can't hear.

IPOD crankers have no such bib to warn other riders of this limitation ... and thus put everyone at risk.

As for tinnitus, yeah, you don't want it. Keep the music low when you're on the lift ... and if they would turn it down at the base lodge too!!!

I usually play the air guitar and air drums on the way up so people behind me give me a wide margin :)

bump for a wicked old thread I just stumbled over, says jack's into....Phish, wow.:rolleyes:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=965&highlight=rancid

and rawking out on the chairlift and acting (milding) like a kook is good fun, esp when you've got a couple yurts flappin their gums about something annoying. then, stealthily turn off yer earbuds and continue to bob yer head and see if they talk about ya. :rolleyes:

happy music:)

I love the jack johnson,donavon , g love etc etc

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMO3iLq_kAU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMO3iLq_kAU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wrong.

The person who is passing without making sure to clear all possible other snowsports riders is the one who puts everyone at risk.

NOT the person who cannot hear whether for medical reasons or music reasons.

Wrong.

The person who is passing without making sure to clear all possible other snowsports riders is the one who puts everyone at risk.

NOT the person who cannot hear whether for medical reasons or music reasons.

Agreed - bottom line: If you hit somebody from behind, YOU hit somebody from behind and it is YOUR fault. You did not give yourself sufficient room to pass, and/or you were skiing/riding at speeds that are beyond your ability (because you were unable to quickly change course or stop). If you are skiing or riding above your ability level you are endangering people, if you are cutting it close on passing slower skiers, you are endangering them. Whether or not they can hear you is totally irrelevant.

Otherwise: I've been hit from behind without music and heard absolutely nothing until the guy was flying over me. The combined effects of the sound of my own edges, wind, and the very effective sound insulation that helmets provide means that you can't really hear anyone approaching you from behind until they are right on top of you.

Head's Up :freak3:

KNOW THE CODE. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

Your Responsibility Code

Skiing can be enjoyed in many ways. At ski areas you may see people using alpine, snowboard, telemark, cross country and other specialized ski equipment, such as that used by disabled or other skiers. Regardless of how you decide to enjoy the slopes, always show courtesy to others and be aware that there are elements of risk in skiing that common sense and personal awareness can help reduce. Observe the code listed below and share with other skiers the responsibility for a great skiing experience.

Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.

People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.

Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.

Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.

Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

KNOW THE CODE. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

This is a partial list. Be safety conscious.

Officially endorsed by: NATIONAL SKI AREAS ASSOCIATION.

I've been skiing/riding for a long time & I know the rules. However, because of the difference between carving and most other slope sliders, establishing who is "ahead" changes frequently and can be quite difficult to establish.

The rules may establish blame in the event of a collision but they won't change the damage. Even if I have the right-of-way, I try to maximize my awareness of the constantly changing slope situation - which includes my hearing.

Otherwise: I've been hit from behind without music and heard absolutely nothing until the guy was flying over me.

QED.

I'm sure everyone here is safe.

And of course we'd all be safer if we rode slower.

I suppose it would be safer for all of us if my deaf mates didn't ride, by this logic.

So that line of reasoning seems a bit flawed.

Not everyone's going to like riding with music, but for me riding with tunes revolutionized my riding. I'd say that after race boards my iPod is my most important bit of kit. I've still never hit anyone, perhaps I'm doing it wrong? ;-)

I've been skiing/riding for a long time & I know the rules. However, because of the difference between carving and most other slope sliders, establishing who is "ahead" changes frequently and can be quite difficult to establish.

The rules may establish blame in the event of a collision but they won't change the damage. Even if I have the right-of-way, I try to maximize my awareness of the constantly changing slope situation - which includes my hearing.

The only time I have ever been hit was from behind by a skier. I was skiing to the side of the run and had made 20 nearly turns in a row that were almost exactly the same width and timing. The skier stuck his skis under my ribs at about 35mph and me riding with or without tunes would not have made a difference.

I did not have music at the time BTW. \

What I don't like is the way the non-music listeners seem to sit in judgement of those of us who do rock it on the slopes, as if we are doing something that is inherently less safe. This is not true. Having the tunes on means you have to do some other things maybe. Like haul ass all the time. Or look upslope after a couple of turns. Or come to Sun Valley where you can find totally unoccupied runs :eplus2:, if you can only find snow. :eek:

What I don't like is the way the non-music listeners seem to sit in judgement of those of us who do rock it on the slopes, as if we are doing something that is inherently less safe. This is not true. Having the tunes on means you have to do some other things maybe. Like haul ass all the time. Or look upslope after a couple of turns.
Couldn't agree more. I've been hit several times and what I could or couldn't hear prior to the crash was never a factor. The factor has always been other people ridding like idiots and not paying attention to the downhill rider.

Read the Code... you don't need your hearing to be in compliance.

Anything else is your opinion... which you are absolutely entitled to (and I don't mind reading it either), but passing judgment and expecting others to agree with your opinion is just plain silly.

:confused:Tunes on the slope is nothing more than a personal choice

I like my steak med. rare-- many do not.

ahhhhhhhhh my choice in women can be somewhat different

The down-hill rider has the right of way---period....

I do take offense to loud music I may not like being pushed on others:nono:

sort of like farting in a crowded room/ that removes everyone choice no matter how good it feels to the fart- tee.

I-pods are great--- who cares what is echoing in another-ones head

Plus some people sing along--- which can add some enjoyable comic relief!

No tunes for me slope-side/ you can enjoy yourself your way/ why should I care?

LETS RIDE!

:confused:Tunes on the slope is nothing more than a personal choice

I like my steak med. rare-- many do not.

ahhhhhhhhh my choice in women can be somewhat different

The down-hill rider has the right of way---period....

I do take offense to loud music I may not like being pushed on others:nono:

sort of like farting in a crowded room/ that removes everyone choice no matter how good it feels to the fart- tee.

I-pods are great--- who cares what is echoing in another-ones head

Plus some people sing along--- which can add some enjoyable comic relief!

No tunes for me slope-side/ you can enjoy yourself your way/ why should I care?

LETS RIDE!

Zackly, who gives a fiddler's fart ? Live and let live.

Gilmour and I were riding at Gunstock years ago and both had tunes going. We found a radio station that rawked and were both riding to the same tune. John was like, hey, what if we could run a blue tooth signal and both be tuned in to the same same music ? That would be pretty sweet !

I used to make cassette tapes that had say, jimi hendrix on one side and grateful dead on the other, with a double head player I'd just go back and forth all day switching sides,sitting on the chair and spinning the tape backwards to save battery life and listening to jane's addiction "Coming Down the Mountain" then some Jimi "chop it DOWN with the edge of my edge of my hand" take all the little pieces and make an island, might even raise a little sand.....I dunno how folks can ride without tunes....but, to each his own.

A habit I picked up while roadracing bikes is to sing to myself. Out loud. Emphasis on the loud. As silly as it seems, it distracts me on a very basic level and lets me relax and pay more attention to what I feel. (eg vibration, bike sliding, revs etc)

That being said, I like to listen to my Ipoo, sometimes loud, mostly not. It helps to get me to that place where I am not paying attention per se, but feeling everything. I don't want it to sound like I am blasting down the hill oblivious to everything as I am not. It is kind of difficult to explain but by letting my mind wander just a bit I find the ability to relax more and feel the run.

I can feel the flames as I type........:flamethro

A habit I picked up while roadracing bikes is to sing to myself. Out loud. Emphasis on the loud. As silly as it seems, it distracts me on a very basic level and lets me relax and pay more attention to what I feel. (eg vibration, bike sliding, revs etc)

That being said, I like to listen to my Ipoo, sometimes loud, mostly not. It helps to get me to that place where I am not paying attention per se, but feeling everything. I don't want it to sound like I am blasting down the hill oblivious to everything as I am not. It is kind of difficult to explain but by letting my mind wander just a bit I find the ability to relax more and feel the run.

I can feel the flames as I type........:flamethro

roadracing with tunes blasting ?:eek:that's "sounds" awesum !

I used to run a discman in my tankbag for long rides and cruising at 65 mph down the highway you really don't need to hear the rpms.

and Phish always sounds better in VT for some reason.:rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43iaGNJDPSE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43iaGNJDPSE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

btw, dyno

new Coiler on the way, eh ? whatcha gettin' ?

I didn't have any music player while I raced, just the music in my head, there's lots of it in there. Having a music player while riding would probaly evoke a similar discussion as to whether or not it should be done.

I am not sure the designation of my new board, it will be titanal and it will accept two bindings. I just discussed what I wanted with Bruce and set him loose. His judgement, I'm sure, is better than mine so I just go with it. I am getting excited now that we have some snow in Ontario, Bruce is just waiting for my topsheet to show up so he can finish the board. I promised I would post pictures on another thread and will do so when it arrives.