Note to New Members ×

THIS is a Coiler Schtubby!

tex1230

Thanks guys. I know the word 'stubby'. What confused me is that I thought from the spelling that 'schtubby' would come from German. I speak a bit of German so I was trying to look it up in a German dictionary... and guess what, I could not find it.... I suck.... :cool:

The spelling just came from the whole "Shred Gruumer" pronounced "groomer" ,it was a chair lift thing...years ago when a bunch of us found Bomber online forum.. We thought that myself and a few friends should have Swiss or Austrian or German sounding names... All the good skiers back when where almost always...almost from Euro.. like Franz Klamer.. so we wanted german sounding names.. hence Shred Gruumer, Helmut Karvlow and so on...

I wrote in the beginning days on bomber in a broken English.. for instance... "Vood jew like to go mit us to da bar?"

So some years went by and then When we made the first board, the 161 infiltrator... Dave More called it in a Greman speaking voice...Its a "Schtubby" and it just stuck!!

Thats the story... so I honored this historic event and actually name the X2 as schtubby.

Right Said Shred

Those are so rare they are now worth 2 or 3 times what they were originally so either hold onto it or sell it and make a ton of dough and order a few more boards.

See, I'm trying to pump it so you can dump it and make a killing

Bidding on the 164 starts at $825 CAD ;)

Seriously that thing is a lot of fun on flatter to moderate runs, ridden at a SL tempo. The turn size and shape obviously comes out different, no way you can SL race it. On west coast snow the problem isn't skipping on steep runs, it's how much it digs into the snow and breaks it loose!

Mine I don't have that problem with on steeps... It so dang fast for a short board it just messes with your mind.. you go into a turn thinking its going to wip ya.. but it don't, it just rides fast.. I like that!! you can get around crowds and hop it around them and in tight cat trails then open it up...

It did every thing I wanted to do... if something ever happened to it... I would order the EXACT same thing... EXACT!!

It will or would be hard to part with it..

I recommend it..

Right said Shred

I betcha yours sees a lot more firm/ice than mine does. On conditions like that I don't have any such problems either, in fact it kinda sorta does remind me of the two Madd 158's I've ridden. In runs that have only been groomed say twice after a big dump though, it does tend to dig out the snow rather than bend. Adding about 15 - 20 cm edge length on those days helps!

Dont get me wrong... I think your right on!! Like in Bikes... There is no replacement in displacement!! Big.. But how much fun has it been.. and would think hell no.. .. you think that its a keeper?,,, every year I think about it ...well sellin.. but then I ride it... and that goes away and I say.. no way.. Bruce made something special..

Would you tell others to consider the original Schtubby..?? I would ... Its just one of those boards you can't get rid of.... pure joy..

I always think it so short.. then you ride it and all of that changes...

Thanks for the chat..

Right said Shred

I doubt I would ever sell the 164. It is certainly unique among boards that I have ridden. It's funny, I actually prefer it over the 171/13.2. (Then again I also enjoy the AM176 and NSR more than the 171 Schtub (X2) as well, go figure!)

Now, I did use it early season last year and will probably do the same this year... it's great for dodging obstacles and since I got it used I don't cry if I ding it up.

1st ride impressions of the skinny stubby...(direct comparison the the Madd 170 f3)

I made about 5 runs today before the snow got way too chopped up. Unfortunately, I had boot and binding issues so some of the runs were really scary (I really hate binding releases..)

The feel of metal is very different - all of the little vibrations from small ice chunks and frozen grooming ridges are gone. some may say this decreases the "feel" of the board, but to me it's like filtering out the static. I feel the changes in the snow that matter and get to ignore the little bumps that mean nothing (hope that makes sense)

This board locked into a carve so easily that it surprised me a few times (ended up in a ditch once :D )

The only thing that I missed from the Madd was the springboard tail. It may be a matter of getting used to the new board, but on the Madd I can almost effortlessly launch into airborne edge changes, and could not get them on this board.

Like I said, I was dealing with a lot of boot/binding issues and didn't really feel like I got it dialed completely, but so far I can say this is the easiest board I have owned both in terms of feel and carvability.

1st ride impressions of the skinny stubby...(direct comparison the the Madd 170 f3)

I made about 5 runs today before the snow got way too chopped up. Unfortunately, I had boot and binding issues so some of the runs were really scary (I really hate binding releases..)

The only thing that I missed from the Madd was the springboard tail. It may be a matter of getting used to the new board, but on the Madd I can almost effortlessly launch into airborne edge changes, and could not get them on this board.

Like I said, I was dealing with a lot of boot/binding issues and didn't really feel like I got it dialed completely, but so far I can say this is the easiest board I have owned both in terms of feel and carvability.

Be careful out there in those soft conditions, especially in early season when the legs are just getting back. The tail on the Stubs and Monsters are definitely a bit on the softer side as I call it the " save your tail, tail"

During testing if I got my weight back, the board just kept on holding the line so at first I figured I would stiffen it a bit but then after saving my ass on more than a few occasions I really began to like it! It does make the ride easier and even if I did stiffen it up a bit, the materials in those boards still would not have that liveliness. You definitely can't rock back and flick off the tails but can still get liveliness from the confidence of the edgehold and use that to get some energy to change edges. Wait till you get in in some real snow as then you should get a feel for it.

BV

So Bruce is mailing me a 171 (21 waist) and 13.2 scr. Has anyone ridden one of these and have opinions? I'm about 170 lbs and ride mostly man made snow and or typically wet natural ice/snow mix.

Talking with Bruce this sounded like a good all mountain carver that could handlenthe conditions here.

Any review or opinions would be appreciated.

I've ridden a 21-waisted 13.2 Schtubby. I suspect you'll be quite happy with it. I had pretty much the same experiences that everyone else has had with it... except that I am spoiled and happen to own the AM176 and NSR185 which I like even better :ices_ange

my take on the stubby (170ish) after another day on mine is that much like the AM it's a board that packs a whole mess of performance into a easier to use package than the race boards or the skinny freecarvers (madd for example)

the boards do take some getting used to, mine is a little scary in slush as it feels like it's gonna fling me but instead just keeps turning, this is a good thing but grabs you unaware.

great board, can't go wrong with these.