Note to New Members ×

longest Virus ever...

frunobulax

Here's the youngest - and longest - part of my quiver...

The first ever built Virus Spartan 195 Evolution.

I don't know how reviews are currently handled on the bomber site since the review site seems to be down. If anyone's interested I could give you a short impression of my first day on this superb new invention of Frank's...

Please let me know.

fruno

(just to help with the scale.. the board in the back is a 185 Phantom...)

post-1189-14184226374_thumb.jpg

post-1189-141842263742_thumb.jpg

What a bunch of ignorants... ;) :AR15firin talk about my board, not about my bindings of which you don't even know the type!!

These are of course the world famous Burton Race Physics bindings. The Physics system was in every respect superior to any other step in system (any other.. ok I see.. there is only one.. the ancient InTec quick-release system.. :sleep: ) although I have to admit that they are a bit weak and flexy in comparison to Intec Titaniums or - of course - TD1-2-3s. On the other hand I don't need complicated suspension systems that add flex to the binding... :p

Smart, easy, self-locking.. I would still buy them, if only to state my respect for aberrant technical solutions... :freak3:

In 10 years of using them I didn't break one binding.. ok and then 4 during the last two seasons... :(

ok back to topic: I do think there haven't been any Viruses longer than the Undertaker (192) so far... maybe in the 1990s.. or some prototypes..

18 cm wide. You can have the full review as soon as I get home and can copy it from my other computer.

Until then you may talk about my bindings.. :D uhmm.... or about something else: anyone interested in buying a Phantom III?

I told ya it was the Burton Race.... I just did not remember that the SI was called Physics.... :barf:

As for the Phantom III, why don't you post a review on that, too. It is a WC GS board, right? What makes it 'III'? I do not recall I and II. Why do you sell it?

Your excuse is accepted ;) it's an interesting concept. Two rings in the heel, which form a self-locking joint with two vertical bolts in the binding. :biggthump

I'm selling the Phantom because it's too similar in character to the spartan.. Iand I need some extra money to buy myself something moderate for allmountain and soft-snow carving.. like a Donek Axxess.

I know you have a different mindset.. owning TWO Gladiator Zylons at the same time, for instance.:freak3:

WC GS is correct. Mine is very very stiff and stable, but it's got a special nose which makes it more turny in compensation. Very fine board. I don't know exactly why it's called III, but Frank continuously adds some modifications to his boards.. the difference between II and III could be the nose, I suppose.

I've read a review from Billy Bordy about the Phantom IV, where he mentions the III as quite different and forgiving in character.. somewhere on hardbooter.com, I think.

ok, no problem... deleted the answer too.

Of course I'm showing off... no snow over here, so what else can I do? :D:cool:

Don't know exact measures yet.. and not sure if I'm allowed to talk about them if I measured them... shape is too new and Frank likes to keep his secrets. Maybe you should ask Frank if you're interested.

The secrecy is silly. If Virus published specs I would have bought one by now. :p

Seriously.

There's just no way I'll ever buy a board without knowing the sidecut radius. Or, for boards with special shapes, the tip/waist/tail widths, so I can deduce the equivalent SCR. It has too huge an impact on the way the board rides. I'm always puzzled when manufacturers won't release specs. It definitely deters customers like me (who want to know what they're buying) and it does nothing to deter competitors, who, if they were really interested, could just buy one, measure it, and re-sell it. I'm faced with the same thing for some car parts right now too. At least it makes the buying decision easier, since it disqualifies a couple of the options right away.

There's just no way I'll ever buy a board without knowing the sidecut radius.

I strongly believe you would change your mind after you rode a “for you custom build Virus” for 3-4 days. Too bad, you will probably never know :rolleyes:

Cheers!

I think you have a point there, Nate.. scr shouldn't be a secret. On the other hand I wouldn't buy a board without testing it, so to me it wouldn't make any difference.

But anyway, here's my review (more or less translated from frozen-backside.de; please excuse my bad english):

It is black, it is beautiful, and it is onehundredandninetyfive centimeters long.

And I'm one of just a handful of people who've ever ridden it. And the first one who fell in love with it and bought it.

So I feel it's my duty to give you a few first impressions of this fabulous, uncomparable, priceless board.

Data:

length: 195 cm

width: 18 cm

name: Virus Spartan Evolution, serial number #001

ingredients: unknown. Evo construction. Presumably Titanal, zylon, carbon fibre, maybe also chewing gum, scrambled eggs, toilet paper. I don't care.

Me and my new love met at Soelden, Austria, one week ago, on a very beautiful day with good snow, but crowded slopes, on a Virus testing weekend.

I had been looking for something to do high-speed eurocarves with, stable but not too damp, torsionally stiff and a bit wider than Virus boards usually are.

Weighing the board in my hands for the first time I was very surprised by its weight. This thing is really heavy duty, probably bulletproof. Est. 2 cm preload, very stiff, and very impressive overall. *gulp*

Frank told me that he had done some quite tight turns with it, which I couldn't believe then.

But after the first couple of turns I was infected, and got more and more during the day. I had been used to my Phantom III, which is a very good, very stable board, but this is even better.

I felt at home very fast, since the "natural" turning radius is just slightly wider than that of the Phantom (for those who cannot live without specs, I would estimate the scr at about 15, maybe 16). More than that, the versatility seems to be greater, from short (ok, let's say medium) turns to very wide ones at mach speed.

Turn initiation is very smooth and forgiving. At the first day of the season one drops into the turns either too slowly or too brutally. The Spartan would always catch me and guide me through the turn like a caring father. In comparison to the Phantom turn initiation is not exactly as quick, but on the other hand it leaves you more alternatives and more room for mistakes.

Dampness and stabilty is beyond any of my previous experiences. Never had anything comparable under my feet so far. Monorail-feeling. If there were bumps out there, I didn't notice them.

In laid-out turns I notice something new: when starting to skid, I can regain firm edgehold by just putting a bit of pressure on the rear foot (not on the front foot like I had to do on the phantom), and the board will continue the turn smoothly without losing any speed.

This seems to be the difference in character between the two boards.

The Phantom says: you wanna do curves? Come with me, I'll show you how to do it!

The Spartan says: you wanna do curves? Go for it, I'll catch you if you do something stupid!

Concerning liveliness:

The Spartan is not a grasshopper, and quite different from some other Virus boards. A Berserker would be agile and nimble in comparison. The focus is on control and stability, not on snappiness. But if you give it a kick at the end of a turn, it will surely get airborne and you will always have this super-smooth landing.

The Spartan needs some speed, but I was quite surprised how easy it is to control at moderate speeds. Not slow speeds, but moderate. What it can do at high speeds I don't know yet. I haven't been to extremes (too cowardly so far), but I would guess the possibilities are very impressive.

Cons: Crowded slopes, bad weather, narrow slopes. Certain riding styles (cross-over turns which slow turn initiation will maybe lead to uncontrollable speed).

Maybe the weight and the dampness of the board, as said before.

Conclusion: I couldn’t test the Spartan on ice oder real bumps, so there’s still some uncertainty. From what I’ve seen so far it's the best board I've ever ridden, and fits my expectations and needs perfectly.

Can't wait for the next snowfall....

fruno

it's the other manufacturers and they have the chance to easily measure everything they want next week in Sölden when Virus is there for promotion.

:lol: they can copy the shape all day long, it will never be the same (or even close) board...

:lol: they can copy the shape all day long, it will never be the same (or even close) board...

+1 to that - you know the Donek FC1 was supposedly built around the same outline of a Madd 170? totally different boards...

I find it difficult to believe that there is enough profit possibility in alpine board sales to worry about competition copying your shape...

Sadly, the most likely way I will buy a Virus is used from someone I know rides and weighs similar to me. Without access to specs and the ability to try several shapes, I'll stick with the more accessible board makers. I suppose if I was again riding over 100 days a year my opinion might change, but for now a coiler custom built to my specs beats a virus off the shelf, especially at about half the price...

that's why i don't see the reason for being so secret about the specs. it makes customers happy if they can compare a couple of numbers. i noticed that with mtb catalogues. i want to see specs just makes me feel comfy catalogues without specs suck. ;)

Even that Virus is accessible to me and i probably tested half their product line i went with a coiler just from the specs (oops), so don't be too sad that you don't have access to those famous blingblings

carvingchanel at yahoo dot ca

Pixs condition, specs, year pls.

Yr weight & height?pics following, condition good, some scratches on titanal from bindings, 185/19,5, Nov2005, 88 kg, 192 cm height, recommend board for even taller and/or heavier rider because of stiffness

Location? Austria. no idea about shipping costs. some of us are coming to ses, maybe there is a way

Thx

Roy:cool:

edit: oh, sorry, didn't get the thing about e-mailing... hope this will do as well...

enough?