Note to New Members ×

longest Virus ever...

frunobulax

I strongly believe you would change your mind after you rode a “for you custom build Virus” for 3-4 days. Too bad, you will probably never know :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Honestly unless I have an idea about what kind of specs a board has I wouldn't even consider riding it...I might trust a builder to build a board for me but I still want to know something about the board other than the length before I set foot on it

Honestly unless I have an idea about what kind of specs a board has I wouldn't even consider riding it...I might trust a builder to build a board for me but I still want to know something about the board other than the length before I set foot on it

Sure, and that's also part of your homework anyway... Frank spends plenty of time explaining to his customers what he has in mind before a full custom board goes into production... at least to the new ones. The ones who trust him for many years already are really quite relaxed and always look forward to that very first day of riding. Always SO exiting :D

frunobulax - Thanks for sharing your new blingy shiny thing... very cool... and good report too.

For those skeptical about picking up a Virus board without knowing much about the specs... that's sound reasoning. But I must say (after riding several of Frank's creations and many others) that looking at Virus specs would serve little to no purpose. With other builders, you can look at the numbers and get a sense of how it will perform, but this is not the case with Virus. Even if you knew each number of the variable sidecut, you wouldn't fully understand the ride until you had it on snow. This is because Virus boards ride differently than anything else available. They tend to have multiple personalities and as you become accustom to pulling out each personality from the ride, the numbers become irrelevant. Case in point... I rode a 165 Virus Terminator in full carbon for a while. It was the quickest turning... most volatile board I've ever stepped foot on. But even at my 200lbs it was as stable and comfortable as a big GS race board on stretched out turns. I do have boards from other builders in my quiver and enjoy riding them, but nothing can compare to the ride of a Virus.

This may not convince you to spend a large pile of cash without riding one, but thought it should be said. Your best bet is to test drive a Virus and SES is a great place to do it. Frank had several models available last year and I'm sure he will again this year.

• 2 weeks later...