Note to New Members ×

summer storage

CarvCanada

aw... it's time to put my babies away!

i have to make sure that their sleep is very good for next season. i need to keep their edges pampered, camber good and base moisturized.

Q- i've heard that a good coating of vaseline or bag balm keeps rust from ravaging my babies, i can see that this would work, but is it alright if this gets into the base? it is very sticky, and contains some sulfate electrolyte. when i next hot wax, will something bad happen if there is quite a bit in the base?

-with camber i usually just lean them base up on my wall, and of course take the cateks off and loosen the disks.

Never lay down boards, because this is bad for the camber.

I put them always at their tail. Sharpen the edges, wax them with a basicwax for all temps. Check out if the board is dry all over. And store them in our warm(washingmachine) darkroom in my bag. They come out once a month. I will let the boards out in our snowhall, www.snowworld.nl to stay into the feeling of snow(boarding).

Greets, Hans.

Guest AlpentalRider

I don't see any problem with storing them as long as you store them in a manner that doesn't put pressure on their camber.

Here are a couple of storage options:

1. 1) Lean vertically against a wall at a 45 degree angle base-side up[/list=1]

1. 2) Rest on wall brackets (L shaped) horizontally leaning against the wall at a 45 degree angle base-side up[/list=2]

1. 3) Lay on 2 sawhorses base-side up, so the board is contacting the sawhorses near it's 2 detuning zone transitions on tip and tail (where the sidecut stops and nose and tail start).[/list=3]

If you have lots of boards and are low on space, the third method works real well if you replace sawhorses with 2x4s. Then you can do layers of boards seperated by the 2x4s.

Guest AlpentalRider

I'm not an expert but my guess is you'll be fine for the following reasons:

Vaseline is 100% petroleum jelly, which happens to be an ingrediant in making some waxes.

The flashpoint of petroleum jelly is around 185 celcius, wheras wax irons are set to run between 100 - 170 celcius for proper wax application.

don't know anything about bagbalm, so can't help ya there.

I'm by NO means an expert on this subject, but here's what I did.

Went to Home Depo, bought a bunch of eyebolts (8) for wood.

Figured out spacing and went down cellar and screwed them into the bottom of the 2X10 floor joists, keeping them in a straight line, 4 for the front of the boards, 4 for the back of the boards. I also purchased (2) 6' pieces of 3/8" threaded rod , and 20' of clear vinyl tubing with a 3/8" ID. slipped the tubing over the threaded rod, then put the threaded rod thru the eyebolts.

Put the boards so they rest on the rods(board is protected by the tubing) topsheet facing down. Slide a piece of wood under the center of each board (width of the floor joists) to keep the desired amount of camber.

Of course they're well waxed, right now I'm looking for a place to make me some inexpensive plastic bags to seal them.

jp

I read a few posts where the writers are concerned about Camber of their board (s) when in storage. I would be willing to bet you can lay them flat with a stack of books in the center all summer and the camber would be exactly as it was at the start of storage. A board is a spring just like a spring on your suspension of your car, and as long as it is not compressed beyond its elastic limit it will return to orginal state. I will tonite measure the camber of two boards, purposely store them flat with a weight all summer till it is time to wake up in December and mesure them and then report back to y'all. I'll be very surprised if there is a change. Think about it... if a board was that weak the camber would not be able to survive a single hard run down the mountain or thru a mogul deflecting the board in excess of 15" of negative camber under 200 lb rider.

So, go watch Kill Bill or something and don't worry about camber during storage, it will still be there when you get back.:D

Guest Ghostrider

Thats a brave experiment. I hope you are right...I would shed a tear to see a board lost to somebody proving a point...

All in the name of science I guess.

I took two of my favorite boards. My Volkl 173 Rt which has at this time .72" of camber and my Salomon Freeride 450-171 which has .35" camber and they are now stored for the summer completely flat on the floor in my spare bedroom with a bunch of heavy books located in the center keeping the board flat to the floor. Bet it is the same when I wake them up in Dec.

:D

i have an idea, i need a board since i broke mine. they obviously don't do good with being flexed past 90 degrees around the heal of a binding by the way. but how about you do this cool experiment with just one board, and i could give you the adress and some money to ship the other one to me.

Originally posted by knoch

i have an idea, i need a board since i broke mine. they obviously don't do good with being flexed past 90 degrees around the heal of a binding by the way. but how about you do this cool experiment with just one board, and i could give you the adress and some money to ship the other one to me.

Boy, if you'd have asked before I started the experiment and sealed the time capsule I would have sent it to you free of charge. Check back in Dec they may be available.:D

Guest Pre School Rider

On 4/7/2000 Pre-School Rider wrote in from 209.198.xxx.xxx:

At the end of the season(ours in the Northeast is almost done),I put my boards on a camber rack for the summer.This helps boards hold their shape,both in terms of camber,and in terms of twist.It's fairly easy to make,using 2x6's,and 1" wood dowels,roughly 1' long.Each 2x6 gets five dowel rods,one at the center(centered in regards to length and width,draw a lengthwise centerline for reference),and two each at the ends.I cut the length of the 2x6 so that it's +or- 6" longer than the boards that'll be mounted on it.The dowels at the tip and tail of the board are placed 2" inboard of the nose/tail curvature.Space the end dowels so that there's a gap of 1/2" between them(3/4" from centerline of the 2x6 to the center of the dowel holes),and that one dowel is directly above the other,with regards to the centerline.The dowel placement should look a little like this, : . : but with the center dowel up to the true midpoint of the 2x6.Small shims can be used to cure any gaps(Asyms are a challenge!),or to set the right camber for a given board,And paint-stirring sticks are ideal here.Set your boards base-to-base on the rack,matching lengths whenever possible(try to stay within 10cm of difference between any two boards on a rack),and shim only enough to keep the current camber,as a thick shim can actually stretch a board's camber over the summer.Store your boards in a dry,tempature-stable area,away from direct sunlight(most garages are o.k.).Don't forget to wax them before storing,and be sure to cover the edges with extra wax to keep rust at bay.I hope this helps the more serious riders keep the quiver in shape during the off season

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by C5 Golfer

Boy, if you'd have asked before I started the experiment and sealed the time capsule I would have sent it to you free of charge. Check back in Dec they may be available.:D

He didn't make it sound like he was breaking them out until December, and I'm still in the market for a board, camber or not, as i will always be, so Mr.C5 Golfer is the offer still on the table? My adress is already typed up in an email and it can be sent to you at the touch of a key, you just let me know.

Originally posted by Mike T

Ben's rack thread made me think about Al's boards - I wonder how they are doing????

I just took the weights off and measured the Solomon 450 -- it is exactly the same at .35" camber, the Volkl 173 RT changed a bit from .72" to .70". As I expected the flat storage did not do too much to store them flat. I bet the humidity can change a board camber by .020" ( about a business card thickness).

I should have checked my Mercedes 280SL or any car for that matter, since it is also a spring that is deflected or loaded. I bet my 24 yr old car has about the same ground clearance as it came from the factory and wood I believe is a better spring than steel.

I say again if laying a board flat for an extended period would alter the camber then riding it on a bumpy run where you bend the crap out of it would render it useless in one day.;)

looking forward to riding Timberline soon:cool:

• 1 month later...

Some of you have asked about the results of my flat storage test.

Please read above post. A small change to the measurement of the Volkl 173 is now at .71" after riding it at Blackcomb the other day, so it gained .010" after a day of riding. Anyway bottom line is no appreciable change after storing flat.

Originally posted by CarvCanada

How is Whistler/Blackcomb this time of year? On the coast is it warm and wet, or nice and dry?

I'd like to go to the Okanagan one day.

It was the worst I have ever seen up there. I came home early due to poor snow cover on Seventh Heaven and the rest. Ice one day, rain the next, and all the rocks and tree tops I care to ride. I see they have less snow now than when I was there.