Note to New Members ×

Catek (Caron Technolgies) out of business?

hdhu1152

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="BACKGROUND: white; WIDTH: 525pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=700 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 45pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 45pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>For those who didn't get this blast mail this morning...

catek_header.gif

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 187.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 187.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>catek_OS2_0809.jpg

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 525pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=700 border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 150pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=200><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 150pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 7.5pt 7.5pt 7.5pt 7.5pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=200 border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 7.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 7.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 7.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">sidebar.jpg

CATEK Products

Check out the selection of products at our website.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 375pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=500><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 375pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 7.5pt 7.5pt 7.5pt 7.5pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 7.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 7.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 7.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">headline09_01.gif

We know it's been a wait, and we appreciate everyone's patience as we're pushing to get product ready for the coming season. We've got OS2s piled up to the ceilings and extra hands in house helping to ship those piles of bindings out to customers.

The first batch of bindings shipped on November 3rd and more are headed out each day.

We're also building more parts and getting more items in stock at the CATEK store. We're anodizing custom color parts so that you can grab the OS2s in whatever color combo fits your fancy. A new batch of Kessler SL, PGS and BX boards is nearing completion and will be heading our way this month. We've also started cutting metal for the new batch of Freeride 2 soft bindings, which will be available in early December.

So things are ramping up for the season here at CATEK. Again, thanks for everyone's patience. We apologize if you've had to wait for an order or just an answer to an email. We're working hard to get everyone's bindings out as quickly as possible, and we'll make every effort to answer any queries in a timely fashion. We'd also like to extend a hearty "thanks" to everyone who has called or emailed to lend a hand.

The temperatures are dropping, snow showers have started falling, and boxes of CATEK bindings are waiting for UPS to pick up. These classic harbingers of a new season haven't changed much since 1993 when we built our first bindings. Fifteen years later, we're still excited to be building our very best. Thanks to all of our customers over those years. We'll look for you on the mountain...that is, when we're not building more bindings.

Best regards,

Jeff and Scott at CATEK

www.catek.com

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 3; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>legal_footer09.gif<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR style="COLOR: #e0e0e0" align=center width="100%" noShade SIZE=2>

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 3.75pt 3.75pt 3.75pt 3.75pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Caron Alpine Technologies, Inc.

PO Box 5111

Newport, Rhode Island 02841<O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><O:p</O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

86db591<O:p</O:p

I have received various mails from Scott and Catek and they have shipped today. Also Scott apologized. Looks like things are being settled and we keep riding fine bindings from a fine company. **** happens everywhere. Just make sure it happens more often elsewhere. Greetings Ed. PS: Will send a final post when delivered to calm things down.

Glad it turned out all to be fine with Catek. It's unfortunate from Catek they didn't communicate the last couple of weeks. Could have been better, I agree. When you order for USD 500.00, well that's serious money. You expect something. Catek has a good service and nice products. I seriously hope they will learn from this. Just say what is happening, and customers do know what to expect, that's all.

Don't know whats different this year but last year I ordered my bindings, had them in a week, and they were perfect. Had all my emails answered promptly and they seemed like great guys. I plan on ordering some fr2s this year because I was so impressed by the 0s2's I got last year. Yes I got a pro deal, but I am in no way sponsered or paid. I just really liked their products.(p.s. I only buy stuff I get pro deals on anyway(i'm poor) so that really has no bearing on it)

I also got my bindings to the original delivery address. Because of the delay I tried to change the delivery address to a new, but it seems that my emails and messages to the answering machine were lost. I can still redirect the mail to the new address so thats no problem. Thanks Jeff and Scott.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about buying from CATEK.

People at Bomber Online, particularly Michelle, have been super helpful and was pleasure to deal with :)

CATEK? Ordered OS2 in August, no response to several emails and voice mails, then all of a sudden they're all shipping in Nov :nono:

I also bought FR2 limited last year and the buckle went away in 10 days. Submitted User filled Contact Us form requesting replacement buckle this August but no reply yet. :mad:

I was about to cancel the order for OS2, I mean, I was waiting for 2 months so I was being quite frustrated and worried at the same time, then CATEK's shipping, then WHAM! TD3 came out! :eek:

Bugger!

I don't know... I guess August is not the best time since it's not a ski season yet... but hey, Bomber Online has being very helpful in October with prompt reply. I'm switching to Bomber now, knowing that if I need part I can rely on them...

The Paypal or Catek Online may have security flaws with the online credit card payments. Someone has used my credit card online with valid home address and phone number. Possible information leaks are from the Paypal transaction last summer or Catek Online payment in October. The online security should be improved.

The Paypal or Catek Online may have security flaws with the online credit card payments. Someone has used my credit card online with valid home address and phone number. Possible information leaks are from the Paypal transaction last summer or Catek Online payment in October. The online security should be improved.

Unless you are an internet security expert, with access to catek's systems - this is a baseless claim. I'm sorry somebody got a hold of your credit card info ... that can be done any number of ways from any number of sources. Blaming Catek when you don't know where the problem came from is wildly irresponsible.

I thought paypal was hacked this summer

paypal has things happen all the time but since they're not officially a bank they don't have to protect you like one.

pal pal is sorta evil like that, I am on my way out the door but there's groups devoted to taking on pay pal. many people have lost 1000s of dollars because pay pal fuciked them

He's saying that he made two transactions: One with PayPal and one with Catek. One (or both) of them was hacked.

He didn't blame Catek's online system, just mentioned that it was a possibility.

It's not necessary for paypal (or catek) to have been hacked, even.

If the card has been used in a store at all, this is by far the most likely place for it to have been cloned.

If the user in question has been "phished", there's another way for card details to have leaked.

Or, if you're using wifi and sending card details over a non-https connection, anyone in the area can simply sniff the details off the air.

Another way is for a machine hosting another web account that uses (or stores) your paypal registered email address and password (even encrypted) to have been compromised - bingo - instant access to your paypal (and email, and probably everything else).

The latter one is a pretty easy way for your account to get owned through no fault of your own beyond using the same password for everything. And who, apart from paranoid fsckers like me, doesn't do that?

Or you can combine air / wire sniffing and account compromise. If you're using Windows, add a bunch of spyware to the mix. Lather, rinse, repeat. Doesn't look so clear-cut that it's either catek or paypal now, does it?

I've never tried to pay for anything from Catek's store, but if they have any sense, they don't touch your card details at all, and instead pass all that handling off to a 3rd party.

I have to admit that my speculations were irresponsible since there are many ways to get the credit card details. It was too easy to see connection between the last transaction and phishing the credit card information, phone number, etc.

Sorry!

Not necessarily irresponsible, especially if you've asked Catek and got no response (sounds like there has been a bit of a response times issue there for a while); if loads of people had turned round and said "hey, me too"...

Also, bummer your card got cloned. Hope you didn't get too badly burned before shutting it all down :(