Note to New Members ×

Catek (Caron Technolgies) out of business?

hdhu1152

Hi

Does anyone know whats going on with Catek (Caron Technologies)? The company that makes those fine bindings up in Newport.

Here is my story:

Contacted Catek early Sept via mail and asked some questions. Never heard one thing. Customer service?

Saw and installed a binding late Sept on a glacier tour and ordered on Sept 20th with 3 day US delivery. The amount was paid via VISA and deducted. I received 2 automated e-mails within a minute after buying online. Then nothing. A week went by. Tried to call - answerphone -> use the Web support. Made a mail. Nothing. Another week went by. Same story. Never heard or received anything.

Anyone knows whats going on with Catek? On vacation? Their normal way?

Thanx for any info

Ed

There's a rep here - swt i think?

Yeah, SWT. I've heard from him as recently as September 14 but have not been able to get in touch with him lately ... that said, I've had some technical email issues myself lately. I've been trying to get in touch with them myself, though not as dilligently as I could be. From what I understand he is moving or something? Maybe that is part of the issue.

This reminds me, I really need to get in touch with him/Catek. I've had luck getting in touch via their website, I'm going to try that again.

Hey all --

Sorry for too much quiet from the CATEK lines. I moved to the UK for graduate studies in September. Long, frustrating story made short -- between the actual move and the impossibly slow British telecommunications system I have just managed to get back online after weeks of black-out.

Now armed with mobile broadband and a wireless connection (thanks to a friendly neighbor -- still no landline) I'm back online and digging through my email inbox. I'll get answers out as quickly as possible to everyone.

Best regards,

Scott

hdhu1152, et al....

I got the full update on production from Jeff -- he's transforming into the mad postal super shipper this week since we're finishing up laser engraving and assembly of parts. He is planning on some long days to pack and ship bindings to everyone who has ordered silver color OS2s. Custom color parts are being anodized and we'll assemble and ship the bling-bling bindings next.

SWT wrote

I moved to the UK for graduate studies in September.
Hey Scott how long are you in the UK for? If you are here for the winter and fancy some riding in Scotland I would be more than happy to show you what Scotland has to offer. Its not the best but its better than not getting on your board. Drop me an email.

SWT wrote Hey Scott how long are you in the UK for? If you are here for the winter and fancy some riding in Scotland I would be more than happy to show you what Scotland has to offer. Its not the best but its better than not getting on your board. Drop me an email.

Likewise for the French Alps. I'll happily put you up for free*.

Simon

* a pair of OS2s should cover the food and wine bill :)

Willow & Tufty:

Thanks for the offers -- be careful, I might have to take you up on them. :):)

Scotland and the Alps are both on my "will ride" list for this season. I'll be grabbing gear when I head home for Christmas break. When I get back in January, I'm going to start planning trips.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I have recently submitted emails via the Catek tech support helpzone about a problem I am having with my FR2s. I have not heard a response yet. When can I expect to have my issue addressed? I would rather not have to vent my frusturations publicly on this forum.

Thanks,

Chris

SWT wrote Hey Scott how long are you in the UK for? If you are here for the winter and fancy some riding in Scotland I would be more than happy to show you what Scotland has to offer. Its not the best but its better than not getting on your board. Drop me an email.

Willow, we didn't end up getting together to ride last year but I'd love to make some time this season.

I have a week in the Italian Dolomites over NYE, possibly a few days in Courmayer in Jan, SES in Feb, but otherwise nothing else planned.

If you want to organise a group, I'm in for sure!

Willow & Tufty:

Thanks for the offers -- be careful, I might have to take you up on them. :):)

Scotland and the Alps are both on my "will ride" list for this season. I'll be grabbing gear when I head home for Christmas break. When I get back in January, I'm going to start planning trips.

Cheers,

Scott

Hey Scott.

Not sure where I'm working this year, probably either Praz sur Arly or Les Saisies, both are pretty good carving, if you do hit the alps I can probably put you up but you'll need mobility (or to put up with going where I work)

PM me if you're interested.

Simon

UK guys, why not to join us for week 10 on March for Oppdal?
I have climbed in Sweden and boarded in Finland so I really should make the treble and do Norway. I will talk more about this at Zinal with you Pokkis, after checking out that new board of yours.

Hey Dantheman0177 would love to hook up, but already have three trips planned to Europe. What you doing end of January, do you fancy ecs09 at Zinal as I have a pass from the wife and have flights booked. Email me if you can make it. Is anyone else coming to ecs09 from across the pond?

Hi Scott,

I have recently submitted emails via the Catek tech support helpzone about a problem I am having with my FR2s. I have not heard a response yet. When can I expect to have my issue addressed? I would rather not have to vent my frusturations publicly on this forum.

Thanks,

Chris

You just did.

I've been dealing with catek since the late 90's, sometimes it takes awhile for them reply by "them" for years that meant Jeff now it's Jeff and Scott.

PM SWT maybe?

if his is turned off or something PM me and I'll give you any email addresses you might need.

I have many times in the past needed parts and both Jeff and Scott have come through with no hassle once I got in contact with them.

My absolute favorite place to stop and hang for weeks recuperating from ops when I was attached to NATO naval standing forces in the cold war endeavors in the early 70's

Better than Paris as the people in the Newcastle area were so nice. Remember the trip up to Berwickshire to try and meet some of My Hume relatives, like I had met some Kenyon 20th something cousins in the Oldham/Peel area.

Aviemore ? heard they had major investment and new lifts and snowmaking some years back. Is it true and how is the season these days of global warming in the Highlands?

Grandfather Wolf

Moms NDN side of family

aka

Dads side of the family

Chase Hume Kenyon

Thanx for the great help in this forum. I received a direct mail adress within 1 hour or so from this forum. Also Scott posted some info here.

I hope to receive the binding soon. Nothing so far. I will post again as soon as I receive the binding or next week for a sad update. Ed

Hi,

My story is similar to hdhu1152. I have ordered bindings on Oct 9th via Catek direct. The credit card was charged immediately. After that I have received no answers to any questions (phone, web support).

I will post update next week or as soon as I get the tracking number.