Note to New Members ×

Good use for old snowboard...

dredman

My son and I made this longboard out of a foam core Burton Cruiser 165. My son sketched the shape on some Christmas wrapping paper folded in half length wise then cut it out and taped it to the board for a pattern. It is pretty flexy for my weight but really nice for his 100lbs. When I build one for myself, I will add a stringer between the trucks to reduce the flex. It is the coolest board in the neighborhood, at least the kids think so.

post-3878-141842261729_thumb.jpg

post-3878-14184226173_thumb.jpg

post-3878-141842261731_thumb.jpg

Associated Press news report:

Vermont: Burton Snowboards founder Jake Burton Carpenter was rushed to Burlington Medical Center for mild heart failure today.

His comments: "I was sitting at home eating breakfast and all of a sudden, I get this pain like hot steel ripping through my chest.....It was weird, man!"

Mr. Burton's condition is listed as stable and expects to resume day to day operations of Burton Snowboards.

My son and I made this longboard out of a foam core Burton Cruiser 165. My son sketched the shape on some Christmas wrapping paper folded in half length wise then cut it out and taped it to the board for a pattern. It is pretty flexy for my weight but really nice for his 100lbs. When I build one for myself, I will add a stringer between the trucks to reduce the flex. It is the coolest board in the neighborhood, at least the kids think so.

That is so cool looking Dave. Hope we get to crank some turns this winter. I'll try to keep up this time.

:eek:

I used a jig saw with a regular metal cutting blade. I would reccomend making sure that none of your cuts go within 1/2inch of the edges or inserts. The board had a foam core, so I was able to smooth out my cuts with a surform. With the foam core delamination problems should be minimal but impact damage may be fatal. My son and the rest of the neighborhood kids, are conducting the destructive testing phase of the R&D. I will keep you informed on the testing process.

The garage is wood core and has survived unijured for two seasons. I recomend painting the exposed edge with epoxy to avoid water damage.

I cut the edges with a stone wheel and then cut the board with a band saw. The edges are super hard don't expect a jigsaw to cut them. I think a hacksaw to get started would work though.

Super flexy ride very pumpable and carveable lots of fun. My kid is the envy of the neighborhood. We have probably 6 boards built this way including a drop through and various other shapes.

I cut the edges with a stone wheel and then cut the board with a band saw.

Hey DrD, thanks for the advice on the epoxy to stop de-lamming. You have a better-equipped shop than me. I would just have to start with a hole saw, then use a jig saw. Is there any reason I can't just cut out the inside of the board without ever needing to cut the edge?

Dredman, thanks for the reminder to avoid the insert packs - I probably wouldn't have remembered.

Now I need to find a donor board. I asked my riding buddy for the board he cracked last season, but he wants to make it a wall hanger. We'll see if I can persuade him. Once I get my hands on a beater board, I'll try to use the snowboard tail to make a kick tail.

get thee to a pawn shop young man. snowboards are dime a dozen in the spring. I bought 5 old identities for 15 bucks a piece last spring and built a fleet of boards experimenting with shapes etc.

you could cut out the center but it would make for a narrow board and the metal edges are cool hitting the pavement in a low carve (sparks):eplus2:

the edges go nearly 3/4 of an inch into most boards so you really lose a lot cutting them off.

If you got metal specific blades for the jigsaw/scrollsaw it should work. a couple of stone wheels for one of the mini grinders might pull it off as well.

experiment with a couple pieces of 4x4 in lieu of trucks and wheels so you can get a feel for flex and truck placement etc. if they flex to much for you try an old alpine board or monoski. I have also seen an aluminum strap (home depot) between the trucks underneath or a hunk of old snow ski. these would be attached between the truck and the board via a longer set of hardware.

any of the epoxies will work for the edges but the slower cure ones are probably better. a can of fiberglass resin and a paintbrush is also a possibility.

• 2 years later...