Note to New Members ×

Season ender

Gecko

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 2-3 car lengths behind a Ford Tempo sedan (I don't know why that sits in the forefront of my memory) it was early, cool and I was on my way to work, on time for a change.

It's funny what you remember in the throws of an accident. I remember when I hooked my nose and went over backwards thinking that I was about 4 feet off the ground. I don't know how I knew that since my back was to the ground, but that's what I thought while I was flying through the air.

And I didn't know that about motrin and the bones. Learn something new every day. In that case, don't take motrin...:smashfrea

Gecko - sorry to hear about that. FWIW, all your posts got me into longboarding this year with a passion - I longboard at every opportunity. I own 7 board of various types, and am into slalom - custom subsonic saint. A lot of what motivated me was your posts here and on the fish.

Broke my leg skiing early 2007, and by laying off and taking it easy while it healed and then PTing the hell out of it (but only when it was ready:)), I had a full recovery after 6 months. 3 months of running and weight work after that, better than new. Hard part was not to push too much too early.

I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Rick

From what I read on the net, it looks like you have a pretty nasty break. Now I definitely want to see the x-rays. After I shattered my tibia and crushed my tibia plateau (off work for 6 months and light duty for anther 3), I was back snowboarding the next season. The hardest part is you'll be non-weight bearing for at least a couple of months. Crutches suck. I'm posting a picture of the "peg leg" I made for myself when I broke my talus bone and was told to stay off it for 10 weeks. And it's "Triker" not "Tinker" though, "Tinkerer" would be appropriate.

post-867-141842260385_thumb.jpg

From what I read on the net, it looks like you have a pretty nasty break. Now I definitely want to see the x-rays.

thanks...that's just gonna depress me even more

The hardest part is you'll be non-weight bearing for at least a couple of months. Crutches suck.

not a problem when you can feel stuff moving around when/if you put your foot on the ground, yes crutches suck though my left foot and ankle are getting a workout like never before, I will so much more control of my skateboards and snowboard when I do recover

And it's "Triker" not "Tinker" though, "Tinkerer" would be appropriate.

Sorry Trikerdad chalk that up to the drugs as well I usually don't read that poorly

triker that pegleg is badass :biggthump

For the record all painkillers retard the healing process, motrin just specifically retards bone growth more than some of the others. ITs your pain but you will heal faster the quicker you can dump the meds. good luck and good healing.

UGHHHH ! that sux !

I know so many people who get busted on cycles and never even see it comming when it happens !

Heal up, and as soon as you can get it moving, bear the pain and get it working.

My shoulder was beat up hard in July going over the side/nose of a jetski at 45mph and slamming the side of it and its still healing.

6 months heal time sux.......... just remember : "you are still alive", so its all good.

Ibuprofiin works, but it also hinders the healing process and the swelling which is necesary for it to heal properly witht he ligiments and such.

About 8 years ago I vertically fractured my tibia (distal) starting from the articular surface extending about 6 inches proximilarily..ly..ily, caused by a nasty twist flying over a blind drop into some moguls. ...This past Tuesday I stress fractured my humerus from the lateral epicondyle toward the deltoid tuberosity about 3 inches trying to be like Rodney Mullen. Had I not had the 3 rum n' cokes I never would have stepped foot on the board, but... with a mixed crowd including 26 year olds (3 females), I started showboating and after a successful ollie kickflip I continued to attempt an ollie impossible (which had only been succesfull exicuted only a hand full of times in my prime). After 3 failed attempts my friend told me to cool it, but I felt like I was on the brink. Forth try I actually made the flip and rotation and put my feet on the board but instantly had to step off. A couple more failed attempts and I thought to myself "Balls to the Wall".... Yep. More like a frontside body plant to the cement. Fully comitted I landed on the board on it's "edge", the board flipped out from under me and I went totally ventral onto the pavement. My season isn't ended, but I've been set back at least till after Christmas.

photodad said.....................

so wait........ lemme get this str8,

you were monkeying around on a board on pavement in the middle of September and had the liquor "no fear juice" flowin and were tossing nose-press flips and FAILURE happened?

I either want to laugh so hart that my eyes will bleed, or go Owowowowowwwwooooooo hooting with pain from my sides after laughing too hard.

then again, personal injury (or that of others) is never funny other than just the imagery of it.

Hope you learned a valuable lesson and remember WE are not as young as we used to be ;)

I gave up the tricky stuff at 30 when I did my OTHER shoulder in a failed endo front-rodeo flip.

photodad said.....................

so wait........ lemme get this str8,

you were monkeying around on a board on pavement in the middle of September and had the liquor "no fear juice" flowin and were tossing nose-press flips and FAILURE happened?

I either want to laugh so hart that my eyes will bleed, or go Owowowowowwwwooooooo hooting with pain from my sides after laughing too hard.

then again, personal injury (or that of others) is never funny other than just the imagery of it.

Hope you learned a valuable lesson and remember WE are not as young as we used to be ;)

I gave up the tricky stuff at 30 when I did my OTHER shoulder in a failed endo front-rodeo flip.

Actually it was all my friends fault. He was talking with another oldtime skater and he knew I kept my board in the trunk of my car. He wanted me to get it earlier, but I was too sober, so of course he comes back in a while and I bring it out. I definately should have stopped after the kickflip, but I was too juiced on the reaction of everybody to stop. I'd say it was Beer-presure, but I was drinking rum.:D

Actually it was all my friends fault. He was talking with another oldtime skater and he knew I kept my board in the trunk of my car. He wanted me to get it earlier, but I was too sober, so of course he comes back in a while and I bring it out. I definately should have stopped after the kickflip, but I was too juiced on the reaction of everybody to stop. I'd say it was Beer-presure, but I was drinking rum.:D

kids bug out when I borrow 2 boards and bust out a double nose wheelie and a daffy 360. all set with trying to kick flip or ollie or any other ankle snapper moves.:nono:

The Tierney board is also potentially bad for the ankles.

Tony,

Do you have an XBox 360 ? MotoGP is a really fun game and you can crash and burn at will.

Don't you ride a Buell ?

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/motogp07/video/6174462/motogp-07-official-trailer-2

double click to get the high quality version on youtube

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q91uTAHt6u0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q91uTAHt6u0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry to hear about your crash.

The Orthorpedist who stopped at the scene proscribed Morphine and then met me at the ER

What great service?!! Be sure to send that guy some cookies!

Like Rick, I was also influenced by your postings and picked up a longboard

this year - Lovin' it.

Take care, and heal well!!

~Karl

About 8 years ago I vertically fractured my tibia (distal) starting from the articular surface extending about 6 inches proximilarily..ly..ily, caused by a nasty twist flying over a blind drop into some moguls. ...This past Tuesday I stress fractured my humerus from the lateral epicondyle toward the deltoid tuberosity about 3 inches trying to be like Rodney Mullen. Had I not had the 3 rum n' cokes I never would have stepped foot on the board, but... with a mixed crowd including 26 year olds (3 females), I started showboating and after a successful ollie kickflip I continued to attempt an ollie impossible (which had only been succesfull exicuted only a hand full of times in my prime). After 3 failed attempts my friend told me to cool it, but I felt like I was on the brink. Forth try I actually made the flip and rotation and put my feet on the board but instantly had to step off. A couple more failed attempts and I thought to myself "Balls to the Wall".... Yep. More like a frontside body plant to the cement. Fully comitted I landed on the board on it's "edge", the board flipped out from under me and I went totally ventral onto the pavement. My season isn't ended, but I've been set back at least till after Christmas.

:lol::lol::lol:

reminds me of the guy who bought a stun gun for his wife and thought it needed tested before he gave it to her.

We are laughing with you not at you :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

reminds me of the guy who bought a stun gun for his wife and thought it needed tested before he gave it to her.

We are laughing with you not at you :lol::lol::lol:

All the guys there were laughing! Two of the girls too, but rest of the girls went into bedside nurse mode, bringing me stuff, making me additional drinks, shots, and all that good stuff. One brought me a bandaid. I wasn't bleeding so I'm not sure if she was being sarcastic and cruel (some would say funny) or drunk and stupid.

well the doctor was blunt...I need surgery...the ankle joint has opened up too much and without hardware it won't heal properly. BTW it is the weirdest feeling to have your foot rattle on the end of you leg. Anyway I go under the knife on thursday, 2 weeks of splinting and then 4 weeks of a cast. hopefully I will begin PT at that point.

Pocket Taser Stun

Gun, a great gift for the wife. A guy who purchased his lovely

wife a pocket Taser for their anniversary submitted this:

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol

& Pawn Shop that

sparked my interest. The occasion was our

15th anniversary and

I was looking for a little something extra for

my wife Julie.

What I came across was a 100,000-volt,

pocket/purse-sized

taser. The effects of the taser were

supposed to be short

lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your

assailant,

allowing her adequate time to retreat to

safety....? ?

WAY TOO COOL! Long story short, I bought

the device and brought

it home.

I loaded two AAA batteries in the darn thing and

pushed the

button. Nothing! I was disappointed.

I learned, however, that

if I pushed the but ton AND pressed it against a

metal surface

at the same time; I'd get the blue arc of

electricity darting

back and forth between the prongs.

AWESOME!!!

Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to Julie

what that burn

spot is on the face of her microwave.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy,

thinking to myself

that it couldn't be all that bad with only two

triple-A

batteri es, right?

There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie

looking on intently

(trusting little soul) while I was reading the

directions and

thinking that I really needed to try this thing

out on a flesh &

blood moving target.

I must admit I thought about zapping Gracie (for

a fraction of a

second) and thought better of it. She is such a

sweet cat.

But, if I was going to give this thing to my

wife to protect

herself against a mugger, I did want some

assurance that it

would work as advertised. Am I wrong?

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank

top with my

reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge

of my nose,

& nbsp;directions in one hand, and taser in

another.

The directions said that a one-second burst

would shock and

disorient your assailant; a two-second burst

was supposed to

cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily

control; a

three-second burst would purportedly make your

assailant flop on

the ground like a fish out of water. Any

burst longer than

three seconds would be wasting the batteries.

All the while I'm

looking at this little device measuring about

5" long, less than

3/4 inch in circumference; pretty cute really

and (loaded with

two itsy, bitsy triple-A batteries) thinking to

myself, "no

possible way!"

What happened next is al most beyond

description, but I'll do my

best...? I'm sitting there alone,

Gracie looking on with her

head cocked to one side as to say, " don't

do it dip****,"

reasoning that a one second burst from such a

tiny little ole

thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I

decided to give myself a

one second burst just for heck of it. I

touched the prongs to

my naked thigh, pushed the button, and . . .

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD . . WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION . . . WHAT THE

HELL!!!

I'm pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through

the side door,

picked me up in the recliner, then body slammed

us both on the

carpet, over and over and over again. I

vaguely recall waking

up on my side in the fetal position, with tears

in my eyes, body

soaking wet, both nipples on fire, testicles

nowhere to be

found, with my left arm tucked under my body in

the oddest

position, and tingling in my legs?

The cat was making meowing sounds I had never

heard before,

clinging to a picture frame hanging above the

fireplace,

obviously in an attempt to avoid getting slammed

by my body

flopping all over the living room.

Note: If you ever feel compelled to

"mug" yourself with a taser,

one note of caution: there is no such thing as a

one second

burst when you zap yourself! You will not

let go of that thing

until it is dislodged from your hand by a

violent thrashing

about on the floor. A three second burst

would be considered

conservative?

SON-OF-A-BITCH, THAT HURT LIKE HELL!!!

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time

was a relative

thing at that point), I collected my wits (what

little I had

left), sat up and surveyed the landscape.

My bent reading

glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. The

recliner was

upside down and about 8 feet or so from where it

originally

was. My triceps, right thigh and both

nipples were still

twitching. My face felt like it had been

shot up with Novocain,

and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs. I had no

control over the

drooling. Apparently I **** myself, but

was too numb to know

for sure and my sense of smell was gone.; I saw

a faint smoke

cloud above my head which I believe was came

from my hair. I'm

still looking for my nuts and I'm offering a

significant reward

for their safe return!!

P. S. My wife loved the gift, and now regularly

threatens me

with it!

"If you think Education is difficult, try

being stupid."

hey who has metal in their ankles???? do you use Thermal Flex liners?

I have a Ti plate and seven screws in my right fibula and I use Thermoflex liners with great success. I started snowboarding about 2 months after I broke my ankle and there was no real issue with rubbing like I thought there would be. It's now two seasons later and still no issues. Go for it.

->Ben