Note to New Members ×

Boot (& other equip) advice?

xxguitarist

Last winter I was anxious to get onto carving gear, and took a rather cheap route in.

I'm looking to spend some money this winter to do things right. This doesn't mean I'm going to go buy a quiver of Bruce's boards, mind you!

I'm currently riding on a 154 F2 speedcross, with snowpro race bindings and SB124s which I've added a 4th strap to since the last session I got in. I'm about 5'11'' and 155 lbs, plus a few for winter clothes etc.

BOOTS:

I'm beginning to think that I may have bought them a size too large, which is only being compounded by the beaten to hell stock liners. They're 28s, my feet measure about 27.4 and 27.6.. Guess I made a mistake there, but at least it got me on the snow for a season pretty damn cheaply. I had problems with the bony spot above my arch (not ankle bone, somewhere between the two) so I removed some material from the stock liners, and between that & the general packing out, the ankle/arch strap is at its limit and occasionally pops open when i flex the boots. I also have noticed some heel lift when really railing into a turn.

BOARD:

I think this is a bit soft for me at the "real" mountains, it works great at the local little hill. My 2nd day up north (okemo) I felt as though the nose of the board was really bending up, and became a little worried that I was going to break the board. I still had a great time & I'm anxiously waiting for this winter.

I'm happy with the bindings for now I think...

So my questions are mainly regarding the boots.. board choice is probably going to be whatever comes up for sale here in the mid-upper 160 range with a sidecut under 10.5 m. Hopefuly it'll be in the $200 range..

I'm thinking that I need to do the boot thing right this time around so I'm comfortable on the mountain & don't have to worry about popping that strap open. Unless I see something like-new come up for sale, I'm probably going to talk to my checkbook for a while and see if it'll let me buy some 225T/325T- any suggestions here as to which stiffness I should be looking towards?

Longwinded post, but I think it conveys my situation.. thanks for the help!

I have a pair of 27.5 head stratos pros for sale (asking 250 shipped) - they have heat-moldable liners so could help with your fit issues. The worst thing in the world is boots that are too big. best advice I can give if you're not looking to upgrade your boots is get to a good bootfitter and get them done properly.

If your raichle's are a comfortable fit stay with them, if they fit snug in the forefoot but loose in the heel, the heads fit wide feet better.

remember the 124s are pretty soft, the heads will be alot stiffer.

I know the 124s are fairly soft, but they're also a size too large.

That said, I was wondering about the 225/ 325/ heads, as that I figure I may as well do it right this time around rather than try to piece things together and upgrade to the new style buckles on another pair of older raichles.

BOOTS:

I'm beginning to think that I may have bought them a size too large, which is only being compounded by the beaten to hell stock liners. They're 28s, my feet measure about 27.4 and 27.6.. Guess I made a mistake there, but at least it got me on the snow for a season pretty damn cheaply. I had problems with the bony spot above my arch (not ankle bone, somewhere between the two) so I removed some material from the stock liners, and between that & the general packing out, the ankle/arch strap is at its limit and occasionally pops open when i flex the boots. I also have noticed some heel lift when really railing into a turn.

That's about what my feet measure and I use 26.0 shells in Raichle and Head with thermoflex liners. The problem with the bony spot above your arch (which I also have) is likely because your boots are too big and your are having to crank the buckles to hold your feet down. When you have a tight fitting boot set up, you don't have to crank down so hard on the buckles.

BobD

That's about what my feet measure and I use 26.0 shells in Raichle and Head with thermoflex liners. The problem with the bony spot above your arch (which I also have) is likely because your boots are too big and your are having to crank the buckles to hold your feet down. When you have a tight fitting boot set up, you don't have to crank down so hard on the buckles.

BobD

Now that's some good input.

The 27s were too big for you, still? How would one know if this would be the case?

The 27s were too big for you, still? How would one know if this would be the case?

It seems that some people are fine in boots the same size as their feet and others need to go down a shell size to get a secure fit. People I ride with have had the same experience and ended up going down a shell size. I messed around with several pairs of used boots befor figuring out what works best for me.

BobD

I'm one of those who wears their shoe size my feet are 281mm and 280mm, I wear a 28 boot and other than changing the instep buckles my boots are pretty stock...sure I will probably go thermo flex at some point but they still feel really comfortable and I am certainly not going to screw with my foot comfort.

I wear a 9-10 street shoe depending on manufacturer, I can wear a 27-27.5 ski boot. with the 123-124 raichles the 26 I could get on but they were painful, the 28s were comfy but loose.

My blax (bought by Head) fit well in a 27 with a molded footbed. Thermo fit liner eased most of my fit issues( I have skinny knobby ankles & heels) with the raichle & blax, if the original liners are broken down at all toss'em & replace with any type of moldable you can get:biggthump

Thanks for the replies.

Jack, Yep, I was thinking of something like the FC or axxess.

I say FC because it sounds like you've got the bug and you're ready to commit. No knock against the Axxess, but any all-mtn carver is going to be a compromise, and not a quantum leap different from a Speedcross. The FCII is wider (19.5cm) so it will still be comfortable. It should open the door for you.

I say FC because it sounds like you've got the bug and you're ready to commit. No knock against the Axxess, but any all-mtn carver is going to be a compromise, and not a quantum leap different from a Speedcross. The FCII is wider (19.5cm) so it will still be comfortable. It should open the door for you.

yes, I agree. there are others too but that is a good jumping off point. the axxess not so much, the only AM ride I like enough to own to the point where it beat out another coiler that was new was my coiler AM. that board killed it everywhere from corn bumps in maine to virgin cord at mammoth that board did it all well.

the metal WCRs will go anywhere as well and that is not a AM board but they will pull that duty well because they are one of the most forgiving boards around but also perform well too.

I have chased him down the hill and I have run cones with him for the last 6 months, Andrew has a loose surf oriented style I think he would benefit from a board with taper in the high 160's or a All Mountain board in the low to mid 170's, he could probably ride my RC175 but I think the width would bother him and stiffness would wear him out (I do have 50lbs on him)

These are a possibility for your boots;

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=21553

your foot sounds the same as mine and these have worked well for me. I did have the toe box punched out to try to accomodate a wider foot. I moved onto the Head boots due to width. The 224's are softer but performed very well for me.

• 2 weeks later...